Sled Driver

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I was wondering if anyone had this book I could "rent" from them for a few weeks. I would like to read it but a $200 that isn't really an option. If no one does I understand that is an expensive book to just send off to someone.
Thanks

Just to be clear, you're asking about Brian Shul's book: http://www.amazon.com/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest/dp/0929823087
f28bc060ada09d0983572210.L.jpg

Sorry, but I don't have it!

In another thread, the cost of flying is being hashed over (again). Now it appears that the cost of reading about flying is getting unaffordable as well.
In a past life, I worked on Porsches. There is a book, "Excellence Was Expected" http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Excel...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247838729&sr=1-1 that cost a ludicrous amount, and I scoffed at anyone who felt it was "required reading". I guess we're finally catching up with the Porsches.

I was wondering if anyone had this book I could "rent" from them for a few weeks. I would like to read it but a $200 that isn't really an option. If no one does I understand that is an expensive book to just send off to someone.
Thanks

You might try your local library. Some of them are on an interlibrary loan system and they might be able to scare it up for you for nothing.

Trapper John

WOW are the pages made of gold leaf? Why so much $$$?
Limited production, very good quality, good writing, unique story, and absolutely gorgeous, GORGEOUS photos. Most of you have probably seen the "Groundspeed Readout" story making the rounds (Cessna 172 asks ATC for a groundspeed readout, then a twin, then another faster plane, etc. until a Navy F/A-18 smugly asks for one. THEN the SR-71 navigator asks...). This is from Shul's book, and is indicative of what to expect.

I attended a talk by him at an aviation conference a couple of years back. Before he joined the SR-71 team, he was shot down in Vietnam and badly burned. He wasn't expected to live, buy flew again a month later. His injuries are still obvious, but he was able to pass the astronaut-level physical required for flying the Blackbird.

Ron Wanttaja

I own a copy... but it's one of my most special possessions. I nearly brought it up to the Fly-B-Que, but the presence of barbecue sauce made me think differently.

Is this the same guy that said "there's nothing like being lost at Mach 3"?

:D

Is this the same guy that said "there's nothing like being lost at Mach 3"?
No, but that's another indication of why you don't find an ADF nestled amongst the other steam gauges in a SR-71 cockpit.

-Skip

Back