Slave labor

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Subject: World War II Story

Using slave labor is never a good idea."

This was published in an AF Village monthly news publication. Elmer Bendiner was a navigator in a B-17 during WW II. He tells this story of a World War II bombing run over Kassel, Germany and the unexpected result of a direct hit on their gas tanks:

“Our B-17, the Tondelayo, was barraged by flack from Nazi antiaircraft guns. That was not unusual, but on this particular occasion our gas tanks were hit. Later, as I reflected on the miracle of a 20 millimeter shell piercing the fuel tank without touching off an explosion, our pilot, Bohn Fawkes, told me it was not quite that simple.

“On the morning following the raid, Bohn had gone down to ask our crew chief for that shell as a souvenir of unbelievable luck. The crew chief told Bohn that not just one shell but 11 had been found in the gas tanks… 11 unexploded shells where only one was sufficient to blast us out of the sky. It was as if the sea had been parted for us. Even after 35 years, so awesome an event leaves me shaken, especially after I heard the rest of the story from Bohn.

“He was told that the shells had been sent to the armorers to be defused. The armorers told him that Intelligence had picked them up. They could not say why at the time, but Bohn eventually sought out the answer.

“Apparently when the armorers opened each of those shell, they found no explosive charge. They were as clean as a whistle and just as harmless. Empty? Not all of them! One contained a carefully rolled piece of paper. On it was a scrawl in Czech (The Germans used them as slaves). The Intelligence people scoured our base for a man who could read Czech. Eventually they found one to decipher the note. It set us marveling. Translated, the note read: "This is all we can do for you now"

It's nice to have guys on your team that are on the other side of the fence.

I think its really cool that even almost 70 years later we can still find awesome untold (or little known) stories from WWII. I think it really says something about the people worldwide from that generation.

A friend sent me a copy of "Using slave labor is never a good idea.", and I delight in reading accounts of the war, especially those stories that are just coming to light. This one was of special interest to me as Kassel, German was my home town where I was born in 1941. I always tell everyone that when I was born, they were so happy to see me, that they set off fireworks day and night... That was Kassel in 1941, with the day night bombings. Came to Florida, about 15 years ago to take care of my parent, as they both had heart attacks and stokes and could no longer take care of themselves... That was for 10 years... It was not until after mom had passed away, that I started to think about what she had gone through during that time in her life. My father was a policeman and was attached to the military from 1939 until 1945. When the military took a town, they would leave the police behind rather than the military... So mom did not see dad during the war... Well he came home once in 1941, when he made me... But I have always wondered what she went through during those days, with two kids. Dragging one and carrying the other one.. She was bombed out three times, where she was just able to run out of the building with the two of us. How did she survive... She never talked about it. Since then, I have done some research and found that they had as many as 700 planes on one bombing run. How did anyone survive? In looking at old military movie footage, one piece comes to mind that I will never forget. It shows and old woman in her 80's or 90's , all dressed in black with a black scarf. She is behind some buildings where there were 55 gallon metal trash cans. It was probably a food service place... But she was scraping the inside of the trash cans with a butter knife, and licking off the blade.. We can not fathom what those people went through.. I served in USAF SAC, Omaha, 1960 to 1965. My wife is now flying Light Sport. God Bless America.

Welcome.
That is quite a story. It is amazing the survival abilities that some people have. I don't know how they do it sometimes.

A friend sent me a copy of "Using slave labor is never a good idea.", and I delight in reading accounts of the war, especially those stories that are just coming to light. This one was of special interest to me as Kassel, German was my home town where I was born in 1941. I always tell everyone that when I was born, they were so happy to see me, that they set off fireworks day and night... That was Kassel in 1941, with the day night bombings. Came to Florida, about 15 years ago to take care of my parent, as they both had heart attacks and stokes and could no longer take care of themselves... That was for 10 years... It was not until after mom had passed away, that I started to think about what she had gone through during that time in her life. My father was a policeman and was attached to the military from 1939 until 1945. When the military took a town, they would leave the police behind rather than the military... So mom did not see dad during the war... Well he came home once in 1941, when he made me... But I have always wondered what she went through during those days, with two kids. Dragging one and carrying the other one.. She was bombed out three times, where she was just able to run out of the building with the two of us. How did she survive... She never talked about it. Since then, I have done some research and found that they had as many as 700 planes on one bombing run. How did anyone survive? In looking at old military movie footage, one piece comes to mind that I will never forget. It shows and old woman in her 80's or 90's , all dressed in black with a black scarf. She is behind some buildings where there were 55 gallon metal trash cans. It was probably a food service place... But she was scraping the inside of the trash cans with a butter knife, and licking off the blade.. We can not fathom what those people went through.. I served in USAF SAC, Omaha, 1960 to 1965. My wife is now flying Light Sport. God Bless America.

Back