skywriters?

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
Anyone know any skywriters that work in the Boston area? I have an artist friend who wants to do some "Guerrilla Art" using skywriting.

Thanks

Yeah, well, sorry....let's call it something else then.....performance art. Better?

I hadn't seen skywriting in years. Not since it was done with a single plane. A few weeks ago I watched a bunch of planes in perfect formation abreast making like a dot matrix printer. It was really neat. I'd guess that it all done with GPS and a data link so that all the aircraft have their smoke controlled from a single source.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

I hadn't seen skywriting in years. Not since it was done with a single plane. A few weeks ago I watched a bunch of planes in perfect formation abreast making like a dot matrix printer. It was really neat. I'd guess that it all done with GPS and a data link so that all the aircraft have their smoke controlled from a single source.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

That is Sky typing, invented by a guy named Andy Stinis back in the 50's. I only know this because I just read about it yesterday. Suzanne Ashbury-Oliver is a Skywriter originally for Pepsi but now is sponsored by Oregon Aero. I haven't got a clue how to contact her but I think she has done writing at Oshkosh. ( I'm reading a book on female pilots --A Hunger for the Sky by Sparky Barnes Sargent)

Barb

That is Sky typing, invented by a guy named Andy Stinis back in the 50's. I only know this because I just read about it yesterday. Suzanne Ashbury-Oliver is a Skywriter originally for Pepsi but now is sponsored by Oregon Aero. I haven't got a clue how to contact her but I think she has done writing at Oshkosh. ( I'm reading a book on female pilots --A Hunger for the Sky by Sparky Barnes Sargent)

Barb
Yeah, she was there this year, too.

http://www.oregonaero.com/news-articles/eaa-airventure-2009 said:
Also, keep your eyes on the skies at Oshkosh for the pilots of the Oregon Aero® ® SkyDancer—the world’s only husband-and-wife aerobatic and skywriting duo. Suzanne Asbury-Oliver’s aerial artistry will be featured throughout the week as weather permits, and Steve Oliver performs aerobatics on Monday and Thursday.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

There used to be a crew of skytypers based at Dallas Garland Airport (now home to the Fry's and Sam's Club, as well as eleventy-thousand crappy apartments), and this was in the 60s. If they used GPS, it was quite a feat! :D

Actually, they used a very basic system- lead plane had a paper-tape reader (like on teletypes), they'd punch the paper on th eground, then fed it through the reader, which in turn transmitted pulses on a basic radio rig, with smoke-controller receivers on each plane. Actually, pretty primitive, but quite effective, as long as appropriate formation flying was maintained.

Suzanne Ashbury-Oliver is a Skywriter originally for Pepsi but now is sponsored by Oregon Aero. I haven't got a clue how to contact her but I think she has done writing at Oshkosh.

Yeah, she was there this year, too.

So... Anyone figure out what the heck she was trying to write that one night? There was one thing that didn't spell any word I've ever seen - I was hearing dyslexic skywriter jokes the rest of the week.

I would *love* to get into skywriting. Seems like a great justification for owning a plane with a smoke system. :D

So... Anyone figure out what the heck she was trying to write that one night? There was one thing that didn't spell any word I've ever seen - I was hearing dyslexic skywriter jokes the rest of the week.

I would *love* to get into skywriting. Seems like a great justification for owning a plane with a smoke system. :D
I remember, from when I was a kid, that if there was wind shear or turbulance (vertical wind shear?) the letters would get shredded in a short time and make interesting shapes.

Maybe that happened this time?

I remember, from when I was a kid, that if there was wind shear or turbulance (vertical wind shear?) the letters would get shredded in a short time and make interesting shapes.

Maybe that happened this time?

Don't think so - You could still see the letters, but they didn't say anything. In English, anyway!

Suzanne Asbury-Oliver is the skywriter you have seen at Oshkosh and thousands of other places around the North American continent plus Hawaii and etc and you can find out more about her and what she does by going to her web sight, WWW.SKYWRITING.INFO. She's the only full time skywriter in the world and has been since 1980. The 1929 open cockpit Travel Air biplane she flew for Pepsi for 20 years (the original Pepsi Skywriter) now hangs from the ceiling of the Nation Air and Space Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles airport. Contect information is on the web sight. Any questions?

Suzanne Asbury-Oliver is the skywriter you have seen at Oshkosh and thousands of other places around the North American continent plus Hawaii and etc and you can find out more about her and what she does by going to her web sight, WWW.SKYWRITING.INFO. She's the only full time skywriter in the world and has been since 1980. The 1929 open cockpit Travel Air biplane she flew for Pepsi for 20 years (the original Pepsi Skywriter) now hangs from the ceiling of the Nation Air and Space Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles airport. Contect information is on the web sight. Any questions?
Welcome to the board, Steve! I'm sure you picked up on this because of the discussion of your wife, but please feel free to stick around! We have a number of other husband/wife pilots here, but you two kind of stand out!

Back