Skyvector Command Line Routing

jimmyjack

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
The *only* good thing about the somewhat recent Skyvector update is that you can now parse command line routing a bit easier than before.

What I mean by this is you can go to

Start Button | Run | skyvector.bat KLAX KORD KJFK <enter>

And it will pop up a browser window with the route already laid out.

Copy the following text into plain old notepad and save it as "sk.bat" (use the quotes). If you know what your path is, put it in your PATH, if not just put it in C:\

Code:
start https://skyvector.com/?ll=41.477306446106034,-84.01684569716436^&chart=301^&zoom=9^&fpl=%1%%20%2%%20%3%%20%4%%20%5
Then, from your start button (assuming windows), you can type

c:\sk KLAX KORD KJFK

And it will route it for you. The .bat is not needed, though you can type it in, if you want. Supports up to five locations, though if you know how to edit batch files, you can do as many as you'd like.

Other variables in the URL are your lat/long, which you can edit. Chart=301 is sectionals, you can change that, too. zoom=9 can be increased or decreased to change your zoom.

Uh...
...ok.

Yeah no clue what you just said. Granted I am 6 beers in. Sober I would still have no f-ing clue what you just said.

Dude you realize it's 2015? I gave up on batch files in 1997. If I want text route planning I'll hit up DUATS.

Do you really need the lat,long to be out to the 15th digit, that's accuracy down to a million of an inch?

The *only* good thing about the somewhat recent Skyvector update is that you can now parse command line routing a bit easier than before.... [etc.]

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Useful for saved routes.
Useful for keeping track of airports visited.
Overall worth knowing.
Thanks

start | run | sk KJFK KORD <enter>

You tell me a quicker, faster, easier way to do route a plan in SK. Please, tell me.

You know, you can also load POA's new posts by creating a batch file that says:

Code:
start "http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew"

Then, click start->run->poa

Or, you could just load your browser and click "new posts"

Edit: since you asked for a faster, less asinine way of doing it, assuming you're stuck giving business to the losers at Skyvector, you could always just open a browser and type the waypoints into the search box to get the same. Same number of clicks, same number of letters typed.

Batch files were great in the day where we didn't have quick and easy user interfaces. For example, when loading a program where you needed to load a bunch of pre-requisite programs, and easily terminating all of them when done. They're not needed to open a browser to a specific page.

Last edited:
You know, you can also load POA's new posts by creating a batch file that says:

Code:
start "http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew"
Then, click start->run->poa

Or, you could just load your browser and click "new posts"

Edit: since you asked for a faster, less asinine way of doing it, assuming you're stuck giving business to the losers at Skyvector, you could always just open a browser and type the waypoints into the search box to get the same. Same number of clicks, same number of letters typed.

Batch files were great in the day where we didn't have quick and easy user interfaces. For example, when loading a program where you needed to load a bunch of pre-requisite programs, and easily terminating all of them when done. They're not needed to open a browser to a specific page.

start | run | sk kord kjfk <enter>

is way faster than

double clicking the browser, typing the skyvector.com in (or pulling down a bookmark), clicking the flight plan text so the dialog box opens up, typing the airport codes in, then clicking submit

My way is faster, flat-out, doesn't use the mouse at all. I get it, some people are never happy, but the batch file works and is better.

start | run | sk kord kjfk <enter>

is way faster than

double clicking the browser, typing the skyvector.com in (or pulling down a bookmark), clicking the flight plan text so the dialog box opens up, typing the airport codes in, then clicking submit

My way is faster, flat-out, doesn't use the mouse at all. I get it, some people are never happy, but the batch file works and is better.

Start (click)
Run (click)
sk kord kjkf enter (12 keys)

Or - click browser icon in quickstart (click)
Click Skyvector bookmark shortcut in titlebar (click)
In the "Go" box, type KORK KJKF enter (10 keys)

So - 2 keys shorter to use the UI, and you don't have to worry about creating a batch file, modifying it to allow multiple waypoints if you decide you need more, and either modifying your PATH variable or putting the batch file in a very illogical place, like the top level of your hard drive.

If you really want to make a shortcut, create a .lnk shortcut file that goes directly to Skyvector.com - then you eliminate a click completely.

The internet isn't hard.

edit: you could make your way faster by using Windows Key shortcuts - like "Windows-R -> SK KORD KJKF enter" then you win hands down, but you're still solving a problem that doesn't need solving.

I know what my PATH is, and it's in there, so it really is shorter.

And I do use windows key + R. So shorter yet.

And your .lnk doesn't allow variables (ie, any airport code). The script does.

You don't want to use it. Fine. Jesus H. Some people work better like this. Apparently not you because you're better than me. Not screwing with the mouse unnecessarily and using just a command line is flat out faster for this.

I just timed it, in fact. See if you can make a route, any route, faster than two seconds. I dare ya.

I know what my PATH is, and it's in there, so it really is shorter.

And I do use windows key + R. So shorter yet.

And your .lnk doesn't allow variables (ie, any airport code). The script does.

You don't want to use it. Fine. Jesus H. Some people work better like this. Apparently not you because you're better than me. Not screwing with the mouse unnecessarily and using just a command line is flat out faster for this.

I just timed it, in fact. See if you can make a route, any route, faster than two seconds. I dare ya.

2.5 seconds. And that was with the page load time load time.

You don't need variables - you can either type them in the run box, or you can type them in the go box on Skyvector. Either way, you're typing them.

This is the same feeling I get when I watch an argument about religion!

what if you're already in IE? do u close it and still run the batch file?

I'll betcha the guy writing batch files is a huge fan of IE.... Wait a sec, on second thought probably not. I'll bet it's AOL or bust.

Probably CompuServe running Mosaic browser

Back