skySensor WIFI help needed

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
I just installed a skySensor on the right wing tip that is supposed to provide ADS-B traffic and weather via WIFI to the iPad or iPhone. The instructions to connect say:

Connecting an Electronic Flight Bag

1. Apply power to skySensor by turning the position lights on.
2. Connect your wireless device to the skySensor SSID.
3. Once connected follow the instructions for your electronic flight bag application.
4. Traffic, weather and GPS data will be available to the application.

So, I turn on the skySensor, see the skySensor_F409 network as an available network with full strength symbol, click on it to join, it initially starts to load with a full symbol, then I get a “No Internet Connection” message under the name, the symbol greys out, and has an exclamation point in it. FltPlanGo can’t/won’t connect to the skyBeacon. The Stratux I have been using also gets the No Internet Connection advisory but its symbol won’t grey out or have the exclamation point in it and connects normally.

One other difference between the devices wifi is the IPV4 Address screen. The skySensor has three additional lines under the Configure IP selection line whereas the stratux only shows the Configure IP line. Both are selected as automatic.

It's a 3 day weekend plus uAvionix says due to volume calls take longer to get through so I thought I'd ask here. Thoughts?

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 13
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 11
Not a stratux or skyBeacon user so may not be of much help....

The "No internet connection" means pretty much just that...no internet connection but it doesn't mean it shouldn't still work on the private network. Which you confirmed with the Stratux.

It would seem the stratux supports DHCP (tells your tablet to get its IP address from the stratux).

Looking at the skybeacon set of screens it seems like it (tablet) is set to DHCP but it also shows the IP address and subnet it received. So maybe you need to specify a manual IP address to make it work.

The quick setup video says you will need to enter a passphrase the first time you connect. Did you already do that? If not, you might want to have your tablet forget the skybeacon network and try it again.

I don't know that you're going to be able to connect to both devices at the same time. Just popping on to suggest turning off "private address" for both of those connections. That's a thing that gives out different, maybe random MAC addresses to reduce tracking on public networks. Not any value for connecting to your own devices.

The other thought is to have the Stratux off while you try to connect and test the skysensor. Troubleshoot or verify that the new device works before you have the stratux powered on. Then you'll know if you have an issue with connecting to both, or and issue with the new device.

Make sure you're not trying to use a VPN or other app that demands internet. If you do, it will connect to the wifi, but then be unable to make the VPN connection. The app reports to the OS that it could not connect and the OS throws the error and disconnects the wifi.

I'm sure by now you've also performed a hard reset (home + power until off).

Thanks all. I did try connecting just the skySensor with the stratux off but no difference. The skyBeacon has a pass code which is necessary to connect to it to manage its settings etc. but the skySensor did not come with one. I do not use VPN and no other apps were open. I did not try to select the skyBeacon and stratux at the same time. As mentioned the stratux would display and connect normally to FltPlanGo with the no internet advisory even with the skyBeacon on. I have not tried a hard reset with either pad or phone but did turn off then back on. I had the same results with the iPad and iPhone. iPad is IOS 14.7.1 and the phone. 14.4.2.

Update- I was able to contact FltPlanGo support and they guided me on the correct setup. When adding a custom device it's necessary to specify a port number in addition the device name. They said use 4000 and it ground tests OK. The iPad still shows the skySensor wifi status when it's selected as the network as greyed out with an exclamation point so I might pursue further with uAvionix.

Back