skype help

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I've been using Skype for conferencing for a while but recently I need the ability to watch someone else's desktop. No, I don't do the share, the other person does, then calls me.

This works perfectly when using my WinXP box (the other person is using Windows Something). But, I have no mic on the XP box, so I prefer using the Mac. For some strange reason (and the Skype FAQ and such is pretty worthless on this topic) when the other person shares their desktop then calls me, I answer but do not see the desktop. I have chat and voice no problem, just no desktop.

Anyone else run into this? Any suggestions? Firewall issue? Security setting issue? Any other ideas?

If I can't resolve this soon, I'll go buy a $9 mic at the computer store (no big deal) for the XP. But I really want to keep using the Mac because of the convenience.

There's also another reason - other people on this project also use Macs and so far, the only option is to use a paid service that does the same. I'd really prefer to use Skype and not deal with the other cost.

thanks

If everyone involved is using a Mac, use iChat. It has built-in screen sharing and audio at the same time. I was just using it last night to help a friend. I'm pretty sure these features have been in iChat since 10.5 Leopard. We were both on Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Also, people on a Mac forum I follow recommend www.logmein.com for screen sharing among all types of machines.

Last edited:
iChat - didn't think of that...great idea! Only downside is that a couple of people are using Windows, no Macs. I, on the other hand, have just about every OS (and hardware) around. Right now the RedHat box is unplugged and I'm using it as a doorstop (no, I'm not kidding!)

But still doesn't solve the skype problem and it baffles me.

logmein looks interesting, but again, it's a paid service (the company is currently using ReadyTalk) that I'm trying to get away from that cost.

Last edited:
Back