Skyline north during Manhattan TFR?

acrophile

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
acrophile
There's a 2nm-radius TFR over southern Manhattan for the next few days that juts out halfway across the Hudson. I assume that precludes the Class E SFRA route northbound, because flying along the eastern shoreline is mandatory for that route.

But does anyone know if ATC usually approves the Class B Skyline route northbound during such TFRs? There's no exception to allow ordinary traffic to transit the TFR circle even with ATC approval. But ATC could approve a modified Skyline route, diverting to the middle of the river to bypass the TFR area.

I called the number listed for the TFR, but they referred me to EWR tower. I called the number listed for EWR tower, but it doesn't seem to answer. This sort of TFR has been active before, though. Does anyone have experience with the Skyline route at such times?

To my knowledge you'll have to ask ATC for a transition (either through the TFR or the class B). There's no other way around it. I can guarantee they're not going to tell you to go down the flyway the wrong way.

To my knowledge you'll have to ask ATC for a transition (either through the TFR or the class B ). There's no other way around it. I can guarantee they're not going to tell you to go down the flyway the wrong way.

Of course. As I read the TFR, though, ATC can't authorize a transition through it. And the TFR extends up through the Class B. So the question is whether they'll let planes fly the Skyline route (which is in Class B ) up the middle of the river instead of along the east shore (at the point where the TFR juts out; the river is quite wide there).

Last edited:
I was under assumption that violations are issued based on the radar (and not your gps track) which can be 1-2 miles off... I would not want to fly this close to a TFR, even when vectored around... In my limited experience they will not clear you to fly through a TFR... You might be able to get away with partial Hudson tour....

Last edited:
I was under assumption that violations are issued based on the radar (and not your gps track) which can be 1-2 miles off[.] I would not want to fly this close to a TFR, even when vectored around[.]

Whatever technology they use, it would have to be accurate enough to show that a violation did occur. I'm only concerned with not being in actual violation. I'm not going to worry about false charges.

In my limited experience they will not clear you to fly through a TFR[.]

Yes, as I mentioned, this TFR has no provision for an ATC exception. Even if ATC did try to vector you through it, you'd have to say "unable" and decline.

Just call the controlling facility

I saw that on the map last night. Sometimes the bureacrat filing the TFR has more than one brain cell working and they'll clip and edge or carve a corner out for obvious silly conflicts... such as the edge of the TFR slicing an airport in half.

Other times like this they seem to just not give a damn, or be too dumb to know what they've done, and slice a two way street in half.

Because, you know, an aircraft flying up the east side of the Hudson is a threat to national security and should be shot down, but one on the West side is too far away to be of danger and is thus totally fine. Sigh...

Last edited:
Back