Skylane N182EF lands on the 5 near CRQ

N1120A

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
N1120A
Someone landed a Skylane on the 5 between OKB and CRQ tonight. Everyone safe and uninjured. No idea what happened yet. They apparently just missed an overpass bridge. Good work

A club member actually heard and saw him in distress while eating dinner at a restaurant. Aircraft was apparently sputtering and smoking. Was doing KEMT-KCRQ.

What is the 5?

Only in California are all freeways named "the"

In Southern California, specifically. In Northern California, they add no modifier. Just 101, 5, 80, etc. I-Whatever is for bumpkins :p

somehow in TV shows and movies all highways are preceded by “the”, no matter where the characters are or where they are from. Coincidence?

A club member actually heard and saw him in distress while eating dinner at a restaurant. Aircraft was apparently sputtering and smoking. Was doing KEMT-KCRQ.

This requires just a bit of explanation. How does someone eating dinner see an airplane in distress unless it's on the ground? And if it's on the ground, why'd he take off if he was in distress? Or was the club member supping in the cockpit of his airborne puddle jumper, noshing on victuals while watching his colleague in dutch?

This requires just a bit of explanation. How does someone eating dinner see an airplane in distress unless it's on the ground? And if it's on the ground, why'd he take off if he was in distress? Or was the club member supping in the cockpit of his airborne puddle jumper, noshing on victuals while watching his colleague in dutch?

Are you serious?

The 5 is a state and federally-funded parking lot where citizens can store their cars for extended periods of time, generally trouble-free.

Well, unless the checkpoint is open. Then it is more trouble.

"the 5" is context dependent. Fine for talking to locals, but meaningless when posting on a country-wide forum.

Someone landed a Skylane on the 5 between OKB and CRQ tonight. Everyone safe and uninjured. No idea what happened yet. They apparently just missed an overpass bridge. Good work

Well, it crashed without hurting anyone, that's good as opposed to hurting people which is bad. Time will tell why it landed there instead of at an airport. I'll be reserving my "good work' until then.

"the 5" is context dependent. Fine for talking to locals, but meaningless when posting on a country-wide forum.

Sorry. It's too ingrained in SoCal residents to make any change possible.

If we talk about the five, the 405 or others, you'll likely have to tolerate that and know it's a SoCal idiomatic expression.

Pssssst. Don't tell anyone, but it's infecting Arizona, as well as a few other areas.

We certainly tolerate enough local dialect from others.

Sorry. It's too ingrained in SoCal residents to make any change possible.

If we talk about the five, the 405 or others, you'll likely have to tolerate that and know it's a SoCal idiomatic expression.

Pssssst. Don't tell anyone, but it's infecting Arizona, as well as a few other areas.

We certainly tolerate enough local dialect from others.
Like any other idiom, it's ok to use it as long as you're ok with nobody knowing what you're talking about. :D

In Southern California, specifically. In Northern California, they add no modifier. Just 101, 5, 80, etc. I-Whatever is for bumpkins :p
I never noticed when I was in California. Guess I was spending to much time with the producers and not enough time with the consumers to be exposed to such odd behavior. Thanks for explaining. Such an odd way to refer to a road. Makes it sound like people think it’s alive or something

I'm confused.. what do you say when someone asks you which highway you took home from work.. do you just say "I took interstate" or do you say "I took the interstate" .. is it "I took train" or "I took the train".. is it "Traffic on THE New Jersey turnpike was bad" or "Traffic on New Jersey turnpike was bad" ..would saying "I took 5" sound more reasonable than "I took the 5" ..?
Omitting "the" means you are missing a grammatically required article to identify the noun.. unless the noun is self identifying..

the checkpoint
Oh man.. don't even get me started on that. I'm not sure how it's legal to stop people well within the confines of a state and check them for their documents.. sounds like the stuff you read about as having happened in the USSR and 1940s occupied territories.. but nope, 2019 United States California!

In SoCal the freeways are alive. They are malevolent.
It's not all bad.. the Bay Area and LA the stretch of the 101 near Santa Barbara slow down.. but the highways by San Diego are typically fine.. certainly no worse than the nonsense I put up with in New York, Boston, Rhode Island.. etc.

What is the 5?

I'm confused.. what do you say when someone asks you which highway you took home from work.. do you just say "I took interstate" or do you say "I took the interstate" .. is it "I took train" or "I took the train".. is it "Traffic on THE New Jersey turnpike was bad" or "Traffic on New Jersey turnpike was bad" ..would saying "I took 5" sound more reasonable than "I took the 5" ..?
Omitting "the" means you are missing a grammatically required article to identify the noun.. unless the noun is self identifying..

I'm glad the Skylane's occupants are fine and not "in hospital." :D

In SoCal, we not only have a carpool lane, we have a Skylane...

I'm confused.. what do you say when someone asks you which highway you took home from work.. do you just say "I took interstate" or do you say "I took the interstate".. is it "I took train" or "I took the train".. is it "Traffic on THE New Jersey turnpike was bad" or "Traffic on New Jersey turnpike was bad" ..would saying "I took 5" sound more reasonable than "I took the 5" ..? Omitting "the" means you are missing a grammatically required article to identify the noun.. unless the noun is self identifying..

"I took 91".

"I was stuck in traffic on 95".

"There was an accident on 84".

"The Turnpike was a standstill from the six flags traffic" - note people from Jersey refer to it as "The Turnpike", not "the Jersey Turnpike", and certainly not, "The New Jersey Turnpike"

"The shore traffic on the Parkway was a nightmare" - again people in Jersey don't call it the Garden State Parkway. It's just "The Parkway". Kind of like NYC being "The City" - as if any other city mattered.

"I took 9 to 18 to the Turnpike".

"I took 91".

"I was stuck in traffic on 95".

"There was an accident on 84".
These sound just as foreign to someone not from the north east though as "I took the 5 up to LA" .. and I still feel like the article is missing. I grew up in Boston and lived there until '09.. I'm pretty sure I still said "We were getting off the 495 when the accident happened" although I could be mistaken

There are also local differences, are you standing "on" the line or standing "in" the line.. or standing "on line" or "in line".. people say different things, New Yorkers will says they're "waiting on line" when waiting to check out at Duane Reade

"The Parkway"
"The City"
...see!!!! they use it too

as if any other city mattered
reminds me of Letterman's "The Greatest City in the world!"

Well, it crashed without hurting anyone, that's good as opposed to hurting people which is bad. Time will tell why it landed there instead of at an airport. I'll be reserving my "good work' until then.

My understanding is that there was smoke visible from the ground and also in the cockpit. They flew the route at 3500', which means they didn't have a whole lot of extra altitude to help them get to an airport. IDK if you are familiar, but OKB can be quite tough to see from the air at night (it is sunken into a ravine) and he wasn't close enough to make CRQ. I basically never fly that segment below 4500' (I did it once on a cylinder break in, in my Tiger), for exactly this reason, but he was certainly legal.

These sound just as foreign to someone not from the north east though as "I took the 5 up to LA" .. and I still feel like the article is missing. I grew up in Boston and lived there until '09.. I'm pretty sure I still said "We were getting off the 495 when the accident happened" although I could be mistaken

What is this driving to L.A. thing you reference? I sure as hell never do that anymore :p

..."The shore traffic on the Parkway was a nightmare" - again people in Jersey don't call it the Garden State Parkway. It's just "The Parkway"...

Why do they call a road intended to move traffic a "Park"way?

...Pssssst. Don't tell anyone, but it's infecting Arizona, as well as a few other areas...

This is what happens when the lunatics are allowed to leave the asylum.

In Charleston SC the only interstate in town was “the I”. May have changed since I last left in the early 70’s. :p[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back