SkyGuardTWX portable UAT $1475

allanwright

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bearded Road Apple
This company has just started selling a portable UAT for $1475. It includes ADS-B-OUT on 978 MHz (of course) and receives ADS-B-IN on both 1090 and 978 MHz. It uses the GDL90 protocol over WiFi and should be compatible with multiple devices, although so far they have only announced WingX Pro7 and SkyRadar Pro apps on the IPAD, MountainScope on the PC, and the IFly 720 GPS Display.

I'm tempted to get one since this is exactly what I need for flying around the SF Bay area. The price is good and I like the fact that it also receives 1090ES.

Anybody have one of these?

PS I started this thread with the wrong name for the device, so I'm starting this new thread with the correct name. I'll ask the admin to remove the original thread.[/B]

Looks like a good unit and according to the website it will meet the 2020 requirements once it gains certification from the FAA. I just wonder how long that will be and if the price will go up then. I thought a permanent solution had to be permanently mounted as well. Anyone else know?

Screaming deal, if they can get it certified. Think they paid a politician enough? :)

Anyone recognize the App used to generate this video (looks to be 10 minutes condensed to 30 seconds) allegedly using a stationary SkyGuardTWX?:

Looks like a good unit and according to the website it will meet the 2020 requirements once it gains certification from the FAA. I just wonder how long that will be and if the price will go up then. I thought a permanent solution had to be permanently mounted as well. Anyone else know?

I believe that ADS-B-OUT devices are assigned to a single aircraft and can only be used in that aircraft, so it's not really "portable" between aircraft. I couldn't find a regulation that says it has to be permanently mounted, but if that is a requirement, it looks like it could be mounted pretty easily.

+!, yes that looks like the app that comes with the sky radar unit.

If I'm understanding what I read correctly in their setup instructions, they work around the "portable" issue by having an iOS app that talks to the transceiver that lets you input information about the airplane the unit is currently in. "This app. allows setting/changing of the specific aircraft parameters for which the transceiver is contained."

Since the Skyvision Xtreme ADS-B in/out device is also sold as a portable that they advertise can be used in different rental aircraft, it is likely that those who believe the "out" transmitters have to be tied to a specific plane may be reading a requirement into the rules that isn't really there.

http://www.skyvisionxtreme.com/

Since the Skyvision Xtreme ADS-B in/out device is also sold as a portable that they advertise can be used in different rental aircraft, it is likely that those who believe the "out" transmitters have to be tied to a specific plane may be reading a requirement into the rules that isn't really there.

http://www.skyvisionxtreme.com/

I think that at one time there was a requirement that there be a single point of entry for transponder codes, so that if you had a transponder as well as a UAT, you only had to enter the code once. This seems to have been dropped in the final rule.

I did find an unfavorable review of the device at http://nmsportaviation.com/news/2013/5/3/ads-b-out-is-well-out

I contacted the company and offered to test the device in the SF Bay area if they would give me a loaner. I'm waiting to hear back.

Back