Skygeek??

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
Well, I ordered some headsets from Skygeek last week, paid for priority shipping, and sat back to wait. I'm used to dealing with Sporty's, so I expected them on Tuesday. Tuesday came and went, Wednesday, Thursday, and now the mail man just dropped off the mail today, and no headsets. So I called Skygeek, and talked to the lady there. She said that her records showed it still in the warehouse. I asked her what the holdup was, and she didn't know. I asked her a bunch of other questions, and she didn't have any information for me. So I told her that if it hasn't been shipped yet, I want to cancel the order. She said that someone would call me from the warehouse. I'm still waiting for the call. Anyone else have a problem with Skygeek?

Well, I ordered some headsets from Skygeek last week, paid for priority shipping, and sat back to wait. I'm used to dealing with Sporty's, so I expected them on Tuesday. Tuesday came and went, Wednesday, Thursday, and now the mail man just dropped off the mail today, and no headsets. So I called Skygeek, and talked to the lady there. She said that her records showed it still in the warehouse. I asked her what the holdup was, and she didn't know. I asked her a bunch of other questions, and she didn't have any information for me. So I told her that if it hasn't been shipped yet, I want to cancel the order. She said that someone would call me from the warehouse. I'm still waiting for the call. Anyone else have a problem with Skygeek?

Dude, it's a Yahoo store. You were probably talking to the only employee's wife. "In the warehouse" means they haven't been able to buy one yet.

Dude, it's a Yahoo store. You were probably talking to the only employee's wife. "In the warehouse" means they haven't been able to buy one yet.

I'm on the phone right now and getting the runaroud. Evidently I'm talking to a third party call center, and they don't actually know how to get a hold of an actual person at Skygeek. Does anyone even know where Skygeek is?

I'm on the phone right now and getting the runaroud. Evidently I'm talking to a third party call center, and they don't actually know how to get a hold of an actual person at Skygeek. Does anyone even know where Skygeek is?

Established in 1969 by Herb and Ginny Styles, the Styles companies evolved out of their small-airplane rebuilding operation based at the family's "Sky Acres" airport (www.SkyAcresAirport.com) in rural upstate New York. Today, under the direction of President Steven Styles (the founders' son) and housed in a modern 10,000 square foot hangar facility located adjacent to its own 3,800 x 60 foot paved runway, SkyGeek and Styles Aviation exclusively provide factory new material from FAA approved sources.

I have dealt with Styles and now SkyGeek for many years and have always had very positive dealings with them...

Most of the time I get delivery from them in a day or two. Keep in mind that if something is not in stock at his own warehouse they can drop ship from the major distributors, so it pays to ask were it is in stock.

I bypass the 800 number that rings the call center and call their direct number that reaches the main offices at Sky Acres airport. 845-677-8185

Please give them a chance to make this right. They really are a good outfit...

If need be call Steven Styles directly at the number above.

Good luck..

Jon

I have dealt with Styles and now SkyGeek for many years and have always had very positive dealings with them...

Most of the time I get delivery from them in a day or two. Keep in mind that if something is not in stock at his own warehouse they can drop ship from the major distributors, so it pays to ask were it is in stock.

I bypass the 800 number that rings the call center and call their direct number that reaches the main offices at Sky Acres airport. 845-677-8185

Good luck..

Jon

Thanks, I'll try that number tomorrow and see if I can get someone. If not, I'll try it on Monday.

Bought some used bushwheels 31 inchers from them.They were way reasonable and shipped sooner than expected.I was very pleased.Could be an honest mistake.You will see how they correct it.Best of luck.The owner flys a turbine pilatus porter,he can't be all that bad.

Sky Acres airport was listed for sale maybe 8 months ago but I never heard if it sold or not. This could be an indicator that the Styles family is ready to/has moved on. Sky Acres is my favorite Breakfast or Lunch stop.

-Skip

Sky Acres airport was listed for sale maybe 8 months ago but I never heard if it sold or not. This could be an indicator that the Styles family is ready to/has moved on. Sky Acres is my favorite Breakfast or Lunch stop.

Ginny is still listed as the manager.

Well, I couldn't get through to anyone today, except for the call center. She however, told me that there was a change in the status of my order since yesterday, but that she didn't know exactly what the change meant. She did tell me that the headsets would not come from SkyGeek, but from the manufacturer. SkyGeek charged me extra for priority mail. Does that mean that the manufacturer is going to send it to me priority mail? Do they pass that on? I don't know. Anyway, I'm at eight days and still waiting. One thing for sure, I won't be getting it tomorrow. I guess that I wouldn't be so upset if I could find out what is going on with my order, but I can't seem to find out anything. I know that a lot of people have good experiences with SkyGeek, but I doubt that I will do business with them again.

It's sad this has happen. I had been recommending Skygeek first and Spinner's second for an alternate source of radios since I had stopped selling them. I'll have second thoughts about referring to them until I hear of better response.

It's sad this has happen. I had been recommending Skygeek first and Spinner's second for an alternate source of radios since I had stopped selling them. I'll have second thoughts about referring to them until I hear of better response.

Maybe I'm just spoiled. I'm used to getting things in two or three days when I order them on the internet. Perhaps my expectations are too high. Also, my old headsets, which were giving me fits, went south on Thursday, and I had to use a rental set. That could be a part of it too.

Whenever I give my own company a plug, I fear coming off as a spammer. However, this seems relevant so...

You can always try AviationLogs.com. We offer pilot supplies and training materials with optional 2 day shipping. Even if you are not buying, feel free to stop in and get a free online logbook (a work in progress, but we have quite a few devotees).

We are trying hard to build a reputation for being responsive and responsible. Not that we don't make mistakes. We value our customer's opinions and suggestions and try to incorporate them into our offering to make it better.

BTW - I agree that you should try them during business hours and give them a chance to make it right. Most of us in this business try to do the right thing, but mistakes happen. I normally hear good things about skygeek. We're just better...

4hire, just checked out your site. Very nice, i bookmarked it .
Thanks Dave G

I'll plug 4hire's site for him... I use it for my online logbook (though I haven't updated it in a while... I should do that). It's easy to use, and he really takes into account his customer's opinions and requests when updating it. I've not purchased anything from him yet, but if the store is anything like the logbook, it's sure to be an easy experience.

Good luck..

Jon
Steven is a good guy. He always answers when I call and ask for him. We get all our charts from him, but have never bought a headset from him. When you call Sky Geek, you never get Steven's wife, but if she is in the office, you might get his mother, Ginny. He has several mechanics and an office staff.

-Skip
Sky Acres is always "For Sale", as Ginny says. It has been listed for several years, but she is not working very hard at selling it. Sky Geek and Styles Aviation are not for sale, though. Ginny's home sits on top of a hill where she has a view of the airport. Stevens home is on the other side of the runway, nestled in a grove of trees.

Maybe I'm just spoiled. I'm used to getting things in two or three days when I order them on the internet. Perhaps my expectations are too high. Also, my old headsets, which were giving me fits, went south on Thursday, and I had to use a rental set. That could be a part of it too.
Me, too. Your expectations are just right.

Last edited:
Here is where we are at. Thanks iflyatiger for the phone number. I called it twice today, and left messages for someone to call me, and I didn't get a return call, however I did finally get someone on the phone the third time. That fellow was very friendly, and said that he would have to call the manufacturer to see what the deal was. He put me on hold, and just a few minutes later he was back. He said that someone dropped the ball, and that the order wasn't sent on to the manufacturer. I wasn't happy, but at least the guy was honest, and was able to figure out what was going on. So he sent the order, and said that they would go ahead and eat the shipping, so he was going to refund that to my card. The important thing is that I should get the headsets this week.

Glad to hear that was resolved. I have always had good service from them.

Glad to hear that was resolved. I have always had good service from them.

Well, I wouldn't say that it is resolved. I have been waiting almost two weeks to get a set of headsets from them. I think that it is a nice gesture to pick up the shipping, considering that I paid for priority mail, but I would have gladly paid it to get them last week. We will see. I'm not going to go off on them, but I'm still not real happy with the transaction.

For those who are still interested, my headset arrived today. They are what I ordered, so I'm happy with them. It took two weeks to get them. So I don't have anything else to say about it. I would imagine that everyone is happy about that, my wife is. :D

For what it's worth I cancelled my SkyGeek chart subscription last week. Took me one email and 3 phone calls over the course of a week before getting a confirmation of cancellation.

Their shipping prices went through the roof for charts and the service hasn't been what I expected for the last couple of releases. Neither has shown up before my old charts expired and even got a backorder notice on one set of AFD's. I used to buy stuff out of the store pretty often, but the shipping has gone up there too.:yes:

They will stay on my list of places to price shop, but it seems like things are not what they used to be. Could be the cost of fuel in general driving prices up too.

I'm used to walking out of the store with stuff.

I'm used to walking out of the store with stuff.

Well, I'm not that much into shopping. If I go into a pilot shop, I'm liable to walk out with a lot of "stuff", that I don't need. It is better if I just get what I want on the internet, and l don't buy a bunch of stuff that I don't need. Besides, there isn't a pilot shop close to where I live anyway.

Last edited:
My frustration continues with skygeek! It took over a week and several methods/attempts of contact to get a confirmation my chart subscription was officially cancelled. It now looks like they got the shipping stopped, but not the billing. They hit my Credit Card for a March chart cycle and never sent the goods! Moreover, there is no record of them billing me on their end, per their “wonderful” sourced call center. Looks like I will be calling Sky Acres tomorrow to voice my dissatisfaction. I hope mypilotstore or naco direct has a better billing and shipping system.

-Matt

My frustration continues with skygeek! It took over a week and several methods/attempts of contact to get a confirmation my chart subscription was officially cancelled. It now looks like they got the shipping stopped, but not the billing. They hit my Credit Card for a March chart cycle and never sent the goods! Moreover, there is no record of them billing me on their end, per their “wonderful” sourced call center. Looks like I will be calling Sky Acres tomorrow to voice my dissatisfaction. I hope mypilotstore or naco direct has a better billing and shipping system.

-Matt

Matt- Save your effort.

Just notify your credit card issuer (in writing) that the charges are disputed, be specific why, and let them carry the water for you.

Skygeek had Meyer aircraft jacks on their site, in stock. I called and asked a question about a part number discrepency and the guy was going to get right back to me. A day later, still no return call. I ordered $1,800 dollars worth of jacks from Airsuppliers.com, who couldn't have been more helpful.

Matt- Save your effort.

Just notify your credit card issuer (in writing) that the charges are disputed, be specific why, and let them carry the water for you.

In all fairness to skygeek I do need to follow up and let everyone know that I owed the charges posted this March. I finally got a hold of someone not at the call center (at sky acres). They did cancel my chart subscription in February. It turns out that the March billing was for a sectional they sent me back in September '07. I pulled out all my statements and verified this is indeed correct. It is very frustrating not to mention confusing that it took them 6 months to bill me, but the money was indeed owed to them. Their excuse is that they are doing their year-end 07 balancing and getting the receivables straightened out.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
In all fairness to skygeek I do need to follow up and let everyone know that I owed the charges posted this March. I finally got a hold of someone not at the call center (at sky acres). They did cancel my chart subscription in February. It turns out that the March billing was for a sectional they sent me back in September '07. I pulled out all my statements and verified this is indeed correct. It is very frustrating not to mention confusing that it took them 6 months to bill me, but the money was indeed owed to them. Their excuse is that they are doing their year-end 07 balancing and getting the receivables straightened out.

Thanks,
Matt
Thanks for the followup. However, is doesn't say too much for the state of their books!:no:

Back