Skydiving

Meliss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
goodjoojoo
I have wanted to go skydiving for a while now, so for Christmas my boyfriend bought me a skydiving jump. [Although he wouldn't do it with me!] A couple of my girl friends were game to go though, and I finally did it! I have always wanted to experience it and cross it off the bucket list - but now I am hooked! I am going again in 2 weeks, and hoping to get my solo certification. It was such an adrenaline rush, and not the least bit scary [I was nervous it would be]. I attached some pictures, the last one is my favorite because it's funny - never knew I had such chubby cheeks. It was such an amazing experience, does anyone here skydive regularly or have any skydive license's? I'd like to get mine, but for now I am trying to scrounge up the money for the solo certification - and it's twice as much for an A-license.

Attachments

• Skydive2.jpg
    Skydive2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Skydive1.jpg
    Skydive1.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Skydive3.jpg
    Skydive3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 138
Got a few thousand. You are going to be swapping out your boyfriend soon.

Not regularly. It was fun for the first 25 or so, after that, you just want to do different things. Not like SCUBA where you can go explore different places. Each dive is different under water, each dive was pretty much the same from a plane.

Yeah - a new BF on the horizon. Nice gift, but come on.....

Went once while I was there. Liked the airplane ride better. Sorry, my bike is faster than terminal velocity and you get to see the scenery fly by if you can ride it that fast.

Got a few thousand. You are going to be swapping out your boyfriend soon.

Are you an instructor? Is it a big time commitment, outside of the training done at the skydive school, getting to solo certification level? I have a lot going on right now between school and work, so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. But right now all I can think about is how badly I want to jump again. Most importantly, though, I want to do it right and be safe.

Are you an instructor? Is it a big time commitment, outside of the training done at the skydive school, getting to solo certification level? I have a lot going on right now between school and work, so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. But right now all I can think about is how badly I want to jump again. Most importantly, though, I want to do it right and be safe.

The alternative leaves ugly stains on the ground....:redface:....:sad:

I have wanted to go skydiving for a while now, so for Christmas my boyfriend bought me a skydiving jump. [Although he wouldn't do it with me!] A couple of my girl friends were game to go though, and I finally did it! I have always wanted to experience it and cross it off the bucket list - but now I am hooked! I am going again in 2 weeks, and hoping to get my solo certification. It was such an adrenaline rush, and not the least bit scary [I was nervous it would be]. I attached some pictures, the last one is my favorite because it's funny - never knew I had such chubby cheeks. It was such an amazing experience, does anyone here skydive regularly or have any skydive license's? I'd like to get mine, but for now I am trying to scrounge up the money for the solo certification - and it's twice as much for an A-license.

AW come on,,, Your cheeks don't look that flabby...:no:

I got my USPA B, it's really fun and the people you'll meet at the DZs and at different boogies are some of the best folks you'll meet.

Plenty of busy folks get their licenses and jump regularly, get on dropzone.com and join the USPA.

You'll get the canopy work down easily with the aviation background.

Are you going to be doing AFF or static line?

I'm digging the Rolling Stones chick...........

:goofy:

I got my USPA B, it's really fun and the people you'll meet at the DZs and at different boogies are some of the best folks you'll meet.

Plenty of busy folks get their licenses and jump regularly, get on dropzone.com and join the USPA.

You'll get the canopy work down easily with the aviation background.

Are you going to be doing AFF or static line?

Awesome, yeah everyone I met at the DZ were cool people. It was such a fun atmosphere. I'll check out that website and see about joining USPA, thank you! I'm going to be doing AFF.

Not as much anymore but did it actively for 30 years or so, instructor/examiner, rigger, the works. Be careful---it's really addictive. Really fun. It's also the type thing you can do occasionally on weekends or go all in and join a team and skydive competitively.

Check out SIS (Sisters in skydiving) too. They are really active in increasing the number of women in the sport.

Where did you go skydiving at? I have been itching to do that as well.

-Brian

Was an instructor. It is pretty easy to learn, couple grand and few weekends and you will have the basics. All the big dropzones(turbine jump planes) are equally safe. If it is your thing you will be spending every weekend at the dropzone. Wasn't kidding about the boyfriend if you choose skydiving he is history.

Where did you go skydiving at? I have been itching to do that as well.

-Brian

I went to Skydive San Diego. I've heard from several people that Skydive Elsinore is great as well.

I went to Skydive San Diego. I've heard from several people that Skydive Elsinore is great as well.
Go to Elsinore, never jumped there, but Barry Williams is one of the top instructors over there, great guy. Highly recommended. Plus they meet the threshold of big dropzone.

Sweet, thanks! I will have to check it out and head over there one of these days.

-Brian

Was an instructor. It is pretty easy to learn, couple grand and few weekends and you will have the basics. All the big dropzones(turbine jump planes) are equally safe. If it is your thing you will be spending every weekend at the dropzone. Wasn't kidding about the boyfriend if you choose skydiving he is history.

Well I really hope my boyfriend's not going anywhere, he's very supportive of anything I do. Although I can see myself spending a lot of my free time jumping. I only live 20 minutes from the DZ I went to the other day:D

Go to Elsinore, never jumped there, but Barry Williams is one of the top instructors over there, great guy. Highly recommended. Plus they meet the threshold of big dropzone.

Yeah, I want to check it out. I've heard so many good things about Elsinore and their instructor's. I had a good experience at San Diego though.

So does SD, especially if you can get one of the instructors from the tac air side to instruct you.

Elsinore and Perris are also not too shabby.

I'd also recommend spending 10-15min in a wind tunnel before starting AFF (there is one in Perris & LA) if you can, it'll help quite a bit.

Also much cheaper pound for pound compared to jumping from a plane when it comes to free fall training.

No, they have a private strip just north of Brown. Next time I go I'm going to see if I can get permission to land there. Might be a long shot, but worth a try.

Ok. Years ago did the 7 jump AFF at Brown. Incredible experience. Went from being scared out of my mind to the last few jumps having an absolute blast. Got too expensive so I just couldn't continue.

Hope you keep at it. Have fun.

Ok. Years ago did the 7 jump AFF at Brown. Incredible experience. Went from being scared out of my mind to the last few jumps having an absolute blast. Got too expensive so I just couldn't continue.

Hope you keep at it. Have fun.

Soooo..

How much is it to jump???:dunno:

Not regularly. It was fun for the first 25 or so, after that, you just want to do different things. Not like SCUBA where you can go explore different places. Each dive is different under water, each dive was pretty much the same from a plane.

Yeah - a new BF on the horizon. Nice gift, but come on.....

Well I am at the stage that if it's less than a 300ft dive I rather not go. Because Scuba gets boring after a while.

And all the good wrecks are deep and untouched by all the non tech divers.

Did the Padi thing. Have all instructor certs beside cave. Went with IANTD and trimix, never looked back!

Soooo..

Well back then (2000) it was $1,500 for 7 jumps. I Forget how much it was for each individual jump after you're signed off for solo. I couldn't afford to rent planes at KMYF and jump on my days off. I chose flying over jumping. Always said I'd get back into skydiving but just haven't lived anywhere near a DZ since then.

Well I am at the stage that if it's less than a 300ft dive I rather not go. Because Scuba gets boring after a while.

And all the good wrecks are deep and untouched by all the non tech divers.

Did the Padi thing. Have all instructor certs beside cave. Went with IANTD and trimix, never looked back!

Well, I can agree to disagree. Every dive I've been on has been different. I don't have advanced certs except wreck, but I've been around the world diving and always something interesting. I made a dive with a group in Micronesia a few years back and we found an orient sailing ship with some interesting cargo on it. In about 65', no one had ever been there before. After my 10th jump under canopy, things didn't seem to be that exciting except for that first step.

Nothing wrong with skydiving, but it spawned things like BASE and HALO, etc. Always reaching because hopping out at 11k and zooming around got kind of repetitive. Also, it really doesn't take much skill when you get down to it. Make like a starfish, check your alt and pull the ring. Next time maybe do a layout or a spiral. woohoo!

Soooo..

$25-35 a jump depending on altitude and DZ, if you have your own rig.

Cheapest DZ I know of is Lodi, did a few jumps there, its fun just keep your head on a swivel.

I don't think it gets boring as along as you have others to jump with, there is always the next license, the next downsize, learning back flying, head down, crw, swooping, wingsuit, formations, videography, inflatables, its endless.

Biggest thing is the people, I've made friends all over with skydiving, when I lived abroad I went to the local DZ, made a few jumps and next think I know I'm at the owners house with all the other sport jumpers and instructors having a beer.

Last edited:
Be careful. I have a friend who discovered skydiving and blew a big hole in her wallet really quickly.

Since you live in San Diego, you might want to give hang gliding or paragliding a try. In the long run, they're less expensive and you get a lot more air time.

The AFF course was free for jump pilots at the dz I flew for. How can you say no to free stuff? Got the ticket, never did it again. I prefer to stay inside planes!

I've made a bit over 400 jumps. Best times of my life were in free fall.

I did 6 jumps (AFF) it's a lot of fun but it arches my back in a not-so-comfortable way in free fall. I would like to pick it back up just doing static line - flying under canopy is an absolute blast.

It's hard to afford to learn to do both at the same time. I learned and jumped for free while flying jumpers at a DZ.

Yeah, they all say that.

Agreed..... Was married for 33 years,,, The ex was supportive for the first 32 or so... When I got my experimental flying she told me "either the plane goes, or I do".. I told her "seeya"

I wish the ex well............. And my plane it still in my hangar waiting for the next flight.....:):):):):)

Agreed..... Was married for 33 years,,, The ex was supportive for the first 32 or so... When I got my experimental flying she told me "either the plane goes, or I do".. I told her "seeya"

I wish the ex well............. And my plane it still in my hangar waiting for the next flight.....:):):):):)

Yeah, it's a bit different in skydiving. There is more to it. Difficult to say what.

When I was much younger and better looking, I spent some time and money skydiving. Had lots of fun, most of it with girls who 'had a boyfriend' :smilewinkgrin: .

Still have the rig sitting in my office. Reminder of a different time.

I made my first jump as a 16 year old solo student in 1954. I met my wife in 57 when I asked a buddy to pick me up after a jump. (no commercial drop zones in those days). He brought this gal along who looked like Susan Hayward. His loss my gain.
It's all about free fall. The jump is over when the canopy opens.
A fused right ankle from me screwing up badly ended my jumping.
Paul
Salome, AZ

Back