Skydive Drop Plane Down in Hawaii, Nine Dead

I must confess that the discussion here makes me wonder about the wisdom of going up for a practice jump, just to have some experience using a parachute. I had been thinking of that.

There are professionally run drop zones that will take good care of you. The chances of serious injury doing a tandem are pretty low, most likely lower than a local flight in a GA airplane.

I was at a small uncontrolled ocean front airport last summer (not Oceanside) that had a skydive operation there... I remember seeing a 206 by a hanger.. a skydive operations 206... the thing looked *seriously* beat up.. the panel was a miserable joke and this plane was rode hard and put away wet. I thought for sure it was just kept along for spares

Nope.. a couple hours later they towed it to the fuel island, tanked it up, and the thing put in a solid day's work hauling jumpers up. I remember thinking that if I was the pilot I'd want to be wearing a chute too!

I get costs are tight for any GA business... but is there a reason these operations are so haphazard, reading above it sounds like they're walking on thin ice safety and reg wise. Isn't the average cost around $300..? Even 6 novice jumpers (IE, they will be tandem) that is $900 (300X3) for what, a 15 minute flight? The margins can't be THAT thin.. or is this like my SpotMe thing where basically there is no need to keep these planes any safer than they already are.. heck, the people on board have parachutes anyway and you're circling above an airport!

Cool site by the way, I was today's year's old when I learned a ton of cool things up "diver drivers" https://diverdriver.com/cessna-206/

When i did my first jumps it was a long time ago, and at a small site that used Cessna 180s. They weren't very nice looking, but they seemed reliable and airworthy.

Remember, the jump plane just takes off, climbs, does some jump runs, then descends and lands. Any extra weight is a detriment, so the interior is minimal as is the panel.

I'd certainly agree! I actually always wondered about that, why the people who jump out don't immediately get guillotined by the horizontal stab

Gravity and inertia. Look at this clip starting at 4:20, there's a nice slo mo of the exit. Note that they fall almost straight down:

When I did my static line jumps way back when, if you got your arch right you could see your instructor until the static line pulled your 'chute open. He was always almost directly overhead for those couple of seconds, you don't slow that quickly.

Why such a big difference? $30 sounds cheap while $300 is crazy. Is there really a 10 factor cost difference? Are most jumpers novice, or solo?

The place where I did my jump last year charges $180-$200 for tandems, depending on the day of the week, and $130-$150 for a videographer. Jump tickets for licensed divers are $28 for a 14,000 foot ride up. As more than one wag has noted, for experienced jumpers the skydive is free, it's the ride up that you have to pay for. So, it's the people for whom you are paying.

The reason I did that jump last year was that my daughter wanted to do it for her 18th birthday. Naturally I had to go as well. That place was very professional and we had a nice Caravan to take us aloft, and I felt comfortable letting my daughter jump there.

Thanks. Sounds like insured operation and possibly a bigger one are a good idea. I had been thinking to do the accelerated training for a solo jump. Seems like it would be a better simulation of what will happen if I need to jump out of a glider or aerobatic plane someday.

What a skydiver does is fairly different from what you'd be doing if you had to get out of a broken airplane. They do a controlled exit, then ultimately wind up in a stable arch at 120 mph where they pull the 'chute, typically at 5000 feet. They then fly an approach in a square parachute to a flared landing. If you have to get out of a broken airplane, you pull the parachute as soon as you clear the airplane. Odds are your emergency parachute is round and doesn't have much of a forward speed. You'd then make a non-flared landing using a parachute landing fall.

I don't know that you'd have to go through the full course to get what would help you if you had to make an emergency jump. It's very disorienting to go out into the airstream and then float down under canopy, so a couple of tandems would be in order to help you place yourself once you go out of the airplane, and to pick out a landing spot from the air. The landing under a square 'chute is different than it is under a round one, so if you can find a drop zone that still teaches static line, a couple of static line jumps would be in order. They'll also teach you a parachute landing fall, which is an important thing to learn.

Paul JUMP.JPG What a skydiver does is fairly different from what you'd be doing if you had to get out of a broken airplane. They do a controlled exit, then ultimately wind up in a stable arch at 120 mph where they pull the 'chute, typically at 5000 feet.

Many years have past since I last jumped. Why are they pulling at 5K now? I remember 2.5K for beginners then 1.8K AGL if my memory serves me correctly.

Many years have past since I last jumped. Why are they pulling at 5K now? I remember 2.5K for beginners then 1.8K AGL if my memory serves me correctly.

Most skydivers will "break off" between 5K and 4.5K, where they gain separation from each other before deploying between 3.5K and 2.5K. As a skydiver gains more experience, they typically jump a smaller and more high performance parachute, where deploying higher allows for more time to deal with a malfunction.

View attachment 75459 What a skydiver does is fairly different from what you'd be doing if you had to get out of a broken airplane. They do a controlled exit, then ultimately wind up in a stable arch at 120 mph where they pull the 'chute, typically at 5000 feet.

Probably because we have the extra altitude available. We got out at 14,000, at 7,000 they want you to watch your alimeter exclusively, and start trying to pull the parachute release at 6,000. It took me a bit of fumbling to find it, and two tugs to get the pins to release the drogue chute. I don't know what the experienced jumpers do, but I think the DZ wanted them to deploy at 5,000. When you think about it, if you wait until 1800 feet to deploy you're 10 seconds from bouncing, and less than that from being too low to deploy safely.

Way back in the 70's when I did my first jump, they put us out on static line at 2800 feet, and a hop & pop was at 3200.

Man at 2.5k or less you would have practically zero chance if you had a malfunction of your main chute. The DZ I worked at jumped at 14.5 and pulled no lower than 5k.

Man at 2.5k or less you would have practically zero chance if you had a malfunction of your main chute. The DZ I worked at jumped at 14.5 and pulled no lower than 5k.

Yeah, if you had a streamer or the dreaded pilot chute in tow, you've only got a few seconds to figure it out and fix it or deploy the reserve, or you're going to hit the ground hard.

That would be normal for a student pilot. I doubt any of the formation people at that dropzone pull that high.

My memory let me down. I got one of my old log books out. Students opened at 2500 AGL. Class B or higher 2200. That was the PCA recommended altitude in the late 50s-early 60s.

In the picture in post 123 I'm over Lake Elsinore, CA before they filled the lake. Probably 1960-61 or so. My my first jump as a 16 year old solo student was out of the back seat of an Aeronca Champ over Rosamond Dry Lake with a 24' seat pack. I shot my mouth off to an 18 year old commercial student and my bluff was called in front of witnesses. I met my wife in 56 when her then boyfriend brought her along to pick me up after a jump. (No drop zones back then. When you jumped out of the plane you had to plan for a ride home.)
Oh Boy those were the days.

When I did my tandem in the mid 90s we deployed around 5000 iirc. Had malfunction(canopy was open though) and had some time to deal with it, ultimately deploying reserve at 2000. If we were to deploy main any lower than 4000, i think we would have been in a bit of a trouble with that malfunction. I did a few static line jumps before from 1000 meters(over 3000ft). A few years after that tandem I was doing student solo jumps and, also iirc, they were telling us to deploy no lower than 4000 with reserve floor being 2000.

My memory let me down. I got one of my old log books out. Students opened at 2500 AGL. Class B or higher 2200. That was the PCA recommended altitude in the late 50s-early 60s.

In the picture in post 123 I'm over Lake Elsinore, CA before they filled the lake. Probably 1960-61 or so. My my first jump as a 16 year old solo student was out of the back seat of an Aeronca Champ over Rosamond Dry Lake with a 24' seat pack. I shot my mouth off to an 18 year old commercial student and my bluff was called in front of witnesses. I met my wife in 56 when her then boyfriend brought her along to pick me up after a jump. (No drop zones back then. When you jumped out of the plane you had to plan for a ride home.)
Oh Boy those were the days.

so it was "...her then boyfriend brought her along to pick me up..." instead of "...my friend brought his girlfriend along...":)

Who needs parachutes? All you need is a net half the size of a football field, and 4 cranes.

so it was "...her then boyfriend brought her along to pick me up..." instead of "...my friend brought his girlfriend along...":)

You got that. Jack realized his mistake about 30 seconds after I laid eyes on Winona. :D

Thanks. Sounds like insured operation and possibly a bigger one are a good idea. I had been thinking to do the accelerated training for a solo jump. Seems like it would be a better simulation of what will happen if I need to jump out of a glider or aerobatic plane someday.

Skydive Arizona is one of the top dropzones in the world and is within an hour of you in Tempe, also some of the best equipment in the business.

Preliminary report is out, but there's not anything new in it.

Attachments

• WPR19MA177 Beech King Air N256TA 6-21-2019 Prelim.pdf
    86.7 KB · Views: 9
That would be normal for a student pilot. I doubt any of the formation people at that dropzone pull that high.
My best friend is an active duty SEAL. He just got back from jump recurrency training and I was talking to him about it. Terminal velocity is 250 feet per second. Do the math. I'm pretty sure he said they pull at 5k just in case.

I could be mistaken, but I thought that had been previously reported, cited by witnesses.

Back