Skydive Door 182

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Anyone here have experience with a jump door on a 182? My friend has one, but I can't get to the airport to look at the books today. I've looked at the STC, but it only says to follow the owners manual supplement.

I remember him saying it had an 80kt limit on flying with it open. At least, I thought that's what he said. I'm thinking that may be the limit on opening or closing the door. I'm wondering if you can fly faster with it open as long as you're not trying to open or close it. I have to believe some skydive pilots leave it open when diving back toward the runway... not that makes it legal!

I'm thinking this would be a good way for me to have a nice photo plane, without having to remove the door each time, but 80kts is too slow for me.

Can't speak to the 182, but the STC to fly with the door removed on a Citabria includes a placard with a new Vne for flight with the door off. I would assume the 182 STC would be similar, speed with the door open.

It has been a while but I seem to remember the speed limitation being 80 knots with the door open.

It has been a while but I seem to remember the speed limitation being 80 knots with the door open.
Ok, that's what I remembered him saying. I guess it will make more sense for me to remove the door.

Back