Skycatcher

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
New opportunities at work are prompting me to get my single engine commercial add on to my multi commercial.

Flew a Skycatcher today for the first time. It is an interseting airplane. Light and responsive to both control and wind. Surely a difference from the usual Twin Comanche or Aerostar I normally Saddle up with.

Haven't flown more than about 10 hours of single engine in the last 7 years. This is the lightest airplane I have ever flown.

Kind of a fun plane to fly, though.

Glad you enjoyed it - it's history.

Skycatcher -- RIP

I really enjoy the Skycatcher, as it sounds you did. I don't understand all the flack it gets. Sure, it may not have the interior appointments of a Bonanza, but it's much less rough around the edges than the 30 and 42 year old 172s I also fly. Way more fun too, and less expensive to boot. I think the stoke (for lack of a better word) is fantastic. It feels weird on the ground, sure, but it feels completely natural in the air and keeps the space around your legs free.

I only have two peeves with the plane. First is the constant weight issue. It's a heavy plane, so you can't carry a ton. But if you're not huge and your instructor isn't huge either, no problem. It can easily go out with 18 gallons and two 180 lb guys, which is more than enough for most uses. My only other issue with it is that when you have the flaps fully deployed, the flap handle is in the way of the natural position of your right arm for operating the throttle, so it feels awkward.

But yes, that's it. No other issues. It's a nice, fun little airplane. As long as it's there and less expensive than the 172, I'll definitely be flying it most.

Back