Sky Harbor Airport 2/28/09

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
Saw this on line and thought I would try it.
Anyone flown to DYT?

Duluth 1 - Aviation Winter Fest
Sky Harbor Airport (DYT)
Skiis & Wheels
Saturday, February 28, 2009 (Weather day Sunday, March 1, 2009)10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Oliver Andre Rosto's Memorial Smorgasbord Extravaganza
Please join us for food, music, Young Eagle Rides & lots of fun!
10% Fuel Discount!!
Questions, please contact Hangar 10, (218) 310-2333 or (218) 733-0078
Hosted by Duluth Aviation Institute & Lake Superior College Flight Students

http://www.duluthaviationinstitute.org/Duluth One Aviation Winter Fest.htm

Sky Harbor is a cool little airport. If you fly up to Duluth I'd recommend lading there. I flew up there years ago (blew my first Bush stimulus check on that flight). the airport is on the very tip of the sandbar on lake superior, right between the Superior harbor and the lake. They also have a large Seaplane operation there in the summer.

Have fun

Like Pete said, Sky Harbor is a neat airport. The runway runs parallel to the shoreline and there are no obstructions that I recall. They have the tallest fueling ladders I've run across, so they can fuel the amphibs.

Barb

the airport is on the very tip of the sandbar on lake superior, right between the Superior harbor and the lake.

Sounds good so anyone interested in meeting up there on the 28th?

I did most of my PVT crosswind landing training there....

The trees on the lake side have grown a lot since then so it's pretty protected now.

Also SUW is only a couple of miles to the west so watch for traffic in and out of there.

Seaplane traffic should be pretty low in Feb. :)

Hmm it's a bit of a hike up there. but I might join you....

Ron,

Here's a picture of Sky Harbor from last summer.

Barb

Attachments

• Sky Harbor Duluth.jpg
    Sky Harbor Duluth.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 26
Been there, yes, great place.

I've got a plane reserved, so if the planets align and the Wx is good, I'll go.

Tim

Tim,

What time do you think you would be heading up?

Tim,

What time do you think you would be heading up?

Ron,

I'm flexible as far as departure time. I have plans that evening that I have to be home in time for, but I'm game to leave just about anytime post-dawn that morning.

Tim

Who's going? I suddenly became available. Also I couldn't find much info on the event website. Is there any kind of schedule and/or description of what's there?

Im still planing on going if the weather holds up at Sky Harbor. Sounds like Troska (Tim) is going too.
I will be in a Musketeer following Tim in a Citabria. Not sure exact time we are leaving OEO yet.

As for more info sorry that is all I know.

Im still planing on going if the weather holds up at Sky Harbor. Sounds like Troska (Tim) is going too.
I will be in a Musketeer following Tim in a Citabria. Not sure exact time we are leaving OEO yet.

As for more info sorry that is all I know.

OK, when you figure out what your timetable is, please let me know.

OK, when you figure out what your timetable is, please let me know.

I wouldn't mind leaving OEO by 9:30, but am flexible about the time.

Please wave when you blow by the Citabria going full Chug-Chug speed. =]

Tim

Please wave when you blow by the Citabria going full Chug-Chug speed.

You mean he is not going to slow down to Citabria speed too :D

Wow I think this is the first time I've ever heard the word Speed and Musketeer/Slowdowner in the same sentence :)

Wow I think this is the first time I've ever heard the word Speed and Musketeer/Slowdowner in the same sentence :)

Kind of what I thought when Tim said I (Musketeer) would need to slow down to his speed (Citabria)

A Musketeer needs to slow down :rofl:

I wouldn't mind leaving OEO by 9:30, but am flexible about the time.

Please wave when you blow by the Citabria going full Chug-Chug speed. =]

Tim

I think I'll aim for an ETA of around 10:30 to 11:00 am. The weather looks great all day.

BTW I noticed they've shortened runway 32 to a bit under 2400 ft. That's a bit short for me but doable as long as I'm relatively light. Probably not a problem for a Citabria though.

Back