Sky Beacon- STC approved, NOW shipping

Lol...I can’t wait to get it installed. I will be assisting my IA. Should be fun!

Paul

Paul, have you secured the FAA rebate yet?

I did...I have until next year sometime.

Paul

For you NORDO guys, you just need to alter the installation procedure slightly; the first step would be: "Install Electrical system."
NORDO won't be an option (VFR or IFR) within 30 NM of class B, in or over Class C, or above 10,000 ft. in just over a year and that will be a good thing for safety reasons. It's bad enough we still have NORDO aircraft at all. Jeez, buy a handheld with a headset adapter already.

do you still have to have a mode c transponder in the mode c veil with the sky beacon?

do you still have to have a mode c transponder in the mode c veil with the sky beacon?

Why would they remove any other requirement, just because they added ADS-B?

Yes sir Wade...skybeacon uses the code transmitted from the transponder, any transponder will work with it. Look into it, really an innovative product in my opinion. I'll be installing on a PA-28 btw...good luck!

NORDO won't be an option (VFR or IFR) within 30 NM of class B, in or over Class C, or above 10,000 ft. in just over a year and that will be a good thing for safety reasons. It's bad enough we still have NORDO aircraft at all. Jeez, buy a handheld with a headset adapter already.
I think its good that there are nordo planes out there.

It reminds people that there’s no guarantee everyone is telling you what you need when you need it. Which will always be a fact of life.

I’ll always carry a handheld in a nordo plane. But I’ve landed a plane more than once with no radio.

IIRC, the rules for the veil are the same as for transponders: ADSB not required if aircraft doesn't have an electrical system. So the Cubs and T-carts don't have to have it unless they actually enter Class B or B.

See the exclusion wording in 91.215 and 91.225.

COM radios not required either, unless actually entering B, C, or D airspace.

It's not as simple as adding a handheld. Many of these older aircraft have non-shielded magnetos; radio use is problematic.

Adding ADSB to my aircraft will cost between 25% and 60% of the value of the airplane.

Ron Wanttaja

I think its good that there are nordo planes out there.

It reminds people that there’s no guarantee everyone is telling you what you need when you need it. Which will always be a fact of life.

I’ll always carry a handheld in a nordo plane. But I’ve landed a plane more than once with no radio.
And shockingly enough, sometimes planes equipped with radios don't use them, or the radios or something related breaks.

Ok, I got notice today mine is on the way. I preordered on July 31st and it’s for a PA-28 for reference...

Paul

This thing doesn't look like it will fit on a Grumman. My nav lights are inside a plastic housing on the leading corner of the wing.

strobe-shields.jpg

The problem with the tail beacon is it doesn't have a strobe.

Mine doesn’t have a strobe on the tail, only a light. Thought skybecon incorporated a light too.

It has a white position light but not a strobe. My airplane has wingtip and tail strobes in addition to the position lights.

It should work perfectly for me, I have position and strobes on the wing along with beacon on the rudder

Anyone have any idea if the Tailbeacon will fit a Cessna 177B with no modification? How about the SkyBeacon?

My IA and I installed it on Monday night. Silly easy. We had one question about the wiring because my plane doesn’t have strobes. UAvionix verified you just piggyback the red and yellow wires to the nav light power. You then control the strobe with the app. Haven’t flown yet as work has gotten in the way. Hope to fly a Friday!

Paul
That's great news. I think we've ordered three, looking forward to installing it on our Cardinal!

That's great news. I think we've ordered three, looking forward to installing it on our Cardinal!

I thought I saw in the Cardinal Online e-mail digest where uAvionix was producing a wing adapter for Cardinals. Are you going that route, or are you just going to develop your own modification?

I thought I saw in the Cardinal Online e-mail digest where uAvionix was producing a wing adapter for Cardinals. Are you going that route, or are you just going to develop your own modification?
Not 100% sure yet. Supposedly shipping to us in a couple of weeks.

Units have shipped and already installed on certified cans per the piper board. So garmin can wank all they want, they would have to wait for some sort of drug deal with the faa to ad them out of the sky, a la navworx. And even that was different since it was merely a discrepancy with the tso pertaining to the position portion of the box. People who got position from an approved navigator were allowed to keep the thing installed as an adsb out solution. This isn't even an issue considering its only garmin trying to say its a patent issue, not a compliance with the specs which is what the FAA would get uppity about.

So the genie is out. All I have to say to garmin at this point is
300px-Texas_Flag_Come_and_Take_It.svg.png

Last edited:
I have the sky beacon, but without the wingtip adapter I cannot install it. A bit miffed that uavionix shipped it knowing I required the adapter. I was in frequent conversation with them since June that many Cessnas, including mine, will need a wingtip adapter.

Wingtip adapter is indeed listed online, but still not shipping.

But the install cost. . . .
I'm buying it with the aircraft spruce harness. This eliminates a huge amount of labor and I'm going to do it supervised by an A&P. There are numerous videos on youtube about how to do the install yourself.

I'm buying it with the aircraft spruce harness. This eliminates a huge amount of labor and I'm going to do it supervised by an A&P. There are numerous videos on youtube about how to do the install yourself.

Sorry, but with two co-owners, and legacy 1975 vintage wiring, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

Sorry, but with two co-owners, and legacy 1975 vintage wiring, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

I kind of feel the same way. I like the GDL 82, and was the way I was leaning until I came across the Sky Beacon. The uAvionix products more closely fall in line with the K-I-S-S philosophy I try to adhere to as much as possible. Methinks I'll be waiting on the Tail Beacon, unless something else cheaper and as easy to install comes along, of course.

uAvionics are apparently now saying that they won't ship any SkyBeacons (even wingtip) at least until mid-February.

I got my GDL 82 yesterday... With no wait time...

Anyone else remember when they promised it before OSH? Just some friendly uavionix trolling.

Back