Sky Arrow on floats?

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Anybody know much about this version of the Sky Arrow? How does it perform? Seems like it might be a load of fun.

%5BPlane_Sky_Arrow%5D_Sky-Arrow-with-Hand-Controls-Light-Sport-Aircraft.jpg

Know nothing about it but I agree that it looks like a blast!

The Sky Arrow is a heavy version of many lite pushers, but still a great airplane. Being on floats would be a blast, but even heavier and slower than before. Useful load is 480 pounds before floats. :eek:

Last edited:
The Sky Arrow is a heavy version of many lite pushers, but still a great airplane. Being on floats would be a blast, but even heavier and slower than before. Useful load is 480 pounds before floats. :eek:

Sometimes when they do a float conversion, they up the gross weight limit too. I'm hoping that's the case here, but... ?:confused:

I might be making this up, but I think the useful load came down an awful lot when they made it fit the LSA category. There was only so much weight they could take out of the plane to bring it down to 1320 lbs, so what weight they couldn't get down in structure had to come out of the useful load. That being said, even at max gross weight, the Sky Arrow climbs really well, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too too difficult to get its useful load to a workable number with the floats. They get an extra margin to work with in the LSA world with floats, I'm not sure exactly how much. There is a Part 23 certified version, though. so that might be what they're going after.

Speed-wise though...you're totally right. It's a slowpoke, and those floats sure won't help! That being said, you don't fly a Sky Arrow to go fast. You fly it to go low and slow and to enjoy the amazing views from underneath that canopy :D.

The picture you are looking at is an old one. I believe it was a test by the original manufacture 3I. Several of the EX/AB s were also put on floats. If you want a Sky Arrow on floats, that would be the way to go. The LSA version was indeed built out of parts from the certified version. The good news is that it is overbuilt compared to alot of LSAs. The bad news is it's overbuilt compared to alot of LSAs and pays the weight penalty. The factory is looking at more weight reductions but that will take some time. EX/AB doesn't have the 1320 weight restriction. There are some new lighter foats coming out that might make them practicall. We've been waiting for a chance to try some out.

The current manufacturer is working on transfering the type certification as well as starting to supply kits again. Hopefully this will lead to having a practical seaplane version (or 2) in the future.

BTW, if you got this picture from the skyarrowusa website be very careful. The individual that runs it aquired the domain name after the previous US distributor closed up shop. He is not and never has been a dealer, distributor, or representative for Sky Arrow. He has never even owned or flown a Sky Arrow as far as I can tell. Hansen Air Group is the only authorized importer, distributor, and dealer.

I remember that picture and it always made me wonder if the pusher configuration would push the float tips under in cases of sudden acceleration while on the water but it looks like the horizontal stab is significantly increased to perhaps handle this.

At any rate I think the Puddle-Jumper brand of floats would be an ideal candidate for the sky arrow due to their light weight. I've always liked the styling of the Sky Arrow but have wondered about how hot that cockpit would get in the summertime - looks like a glass oven to me.

I seem to recall there was a guy in Georgia selling the Sky Arrow now. Interestingly enough he had identical twin sons both of whom were midgets !

I've always liked the styling of the Sky Arrow but have wondered about how hot that cockpit would get in the summertime - looks like a glass oven to me.

It's not that bad, because there's plenty of ventilation. On the ground it's really nice, because you can taxi around with the canopy open. It feels awesome to taxi around with the wind in your hair :).

Hansen Air Group is the only authorized importer, distributor, and dealer.

If that's true, they gotta work on it. This what you get when you go to their site and click on info for the Sky Arrow 600-

PACIFIC AEROSYSTEM, Inc. (PAI)
Gillespie Field - 1870 Joe Crosson Dr. - El CaJon, California 92020 - 1234 USA
Sky Arrow products - Distributor for Sky Arrow products in North America
Ph 619.6310462 - 619.6310463 - Fax 619.6310464 -
Ph 800.844.1441

Back