Skunk Works Reveals SR-71 Successor Plan

For years there have been rumors so I am not all that surprised. I found it hard to believe the government grounded the SR-71 without a replacement. It does sound like Skunkworks did what it does best - dream about what could be and solve the problem.

For years there have been rumors so I am not all that surprised. I found it hard to believe the government grounded the SR-71 without a replacement. It does sound like Skunkworks did what it does best - dream about what could be and solve the problem.

Exactly. Did they announce the SR-71 before they built it? No guesses on what we use for the former SR-71 stuff if anything but this sounds to me like marketing or pork hunting.

They could just fly the SR71s again, there is still nothing flying that can catch them. Satellites do have their limitations when trying to follow the movements of non-state actors.

With improvements in electronics and digital cameras maybe they revisited the D-21 as initial SR-71 replacement?

They could just fly the SR71s again, there is still nothing flying that can catch them. Satellites do have their limitations when trying to follow the movements of non-state actors.

They'd have to retool the tankers.

We have a ANG KC-135 unit here, and talking to them, they don't have the plumbing anymore to carry separate fuel for the SR-71s.

Do you think you can find one that's been de-mil'd?
Sure. Just change out the military fasteners for FAA approved fasteners and you're good to go. Finding a place to store the required paperwork and POH where they won't burst into flames once the skin reaches maximum temperature might get problematical.

Back