Skill Element tested on Knowledge Test?

smv

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
smv
An Instrument Rating student of mine took his Knowledge Test today. One of the codes listed in the "inccorrectly answered questions" section was a Skill element. Specifically:

IR.II.C.S1 - Perform preflight inspection by following the checklist appropriate to the airplane determine that the airplane is in a condition for safe instrument flight.

Granted, it has been a while since I took my IR Knowledge test, and it certainly was not under the ACS strutcture, but I do not remember doing any preflight inspections during the knowledge test and he did not relate to me any such activity.

Any idea how they were able to test a Skill Element (specificlly a preflight inspection) during a computerized knowledge test?

As an example, how about:

Which of the following instruments are pilot-adjustable?
A. Airspeed indicator
B. Tachometer
C. Oil pressure gauge
D. Vertical speed indicator

or

What color is 100LL fuel dyed?
A. Red
B. Purple
C. Green
D. Blue

As an example, how about:

Which of the following instruments are pilot-adjustable?
A. Airspeed indicator
B. Tachometer
C. Oil pressure gauge
D. Vertical speed indicator

or

What color is 100LL fuel dyed?
A. Red
B. Purple
C. Green
D. Blue

I donno.. Those seem more like Knowledge elements to me. Then again I am not a DPE.... o_O

I donno.. Those seem more like Knowledge elements to me. Then again I am not a DPE.... o_O
Knowlege is required to demonstrate preflight skills. They’re separated in the ACS, but there’s a lot of overlap.

Knowlege is required to demonstrate preflight skills. They’re separated in the ACS, but there’s a lot of overlap.

Maybe I am overthinking (or UNDERthinking?) it... In my mind a Knowledge element is something you can express using nothing more than your brain and mouth. Whereas a Skill element requires Knowledge plus a demonstration of some kind of physical activity.

Either way it still surprised me to see a Skill element on the Knowledge test. Especially one in the "Instrument Flight Deck Check" task that begins with "Perform preflight inspection..."

Maybe I am overthinking (or UNDERthinking?) it... In my mind a Knowledge element is something you can express using nothing more than your brain and mouth. Whereas a Skill element requires Knowledge plus a demonstration of some kind of physical activity.

Either way it still surprised me to see a Skill element on the Knowledge test. Especially one in the "Instrument Flight Deck Check" task that begins with "Perform preflight inspection..."
I figure the FAA can apply any label they want. The questions I suggested are questions that can legitimately be asked while observing an applicant’s demonstration of preflight skills, which can only occur after the oral is complete.

keep in mind, too, that the ACS categories are so broad that they really don’t provide a clear indication of what was missed on the knowledge test.

I think you have the right idea here. To me, knowledge based stuff would be something that anyone could do with the proper learning or by carrying a reference sheet to know the answers. Even a non-pilot could ace a knowledge test if they had a reference book to look up the answers. A skill test would be something where a person would have to be able to perform a task that takes a developed "skill" to perform. A reference book wouldn't do anyone any good if they hadn't learned and developed the skill to perform a steep turn for instance. Maybe this is just a semantic argument as all of these things are needed and where they are tested or evaluated is irrelevant.

Back