Skiing Anyone?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Well, since this is POA is better include airplanes.

Cub_on_skis.JPG

What a fun day!

Matt_1__Medium_.JPG

Last edited:
That is fun. Helicopters, ski planes, you sure know what to fly.

Looks like a blast...

One of the few times I wished my 801 was a taildragger....:sad::sad::sad:

Sure got that tail jacked up way high. Seeing over the nose is way over rated. :)

Sure got that tail jacked up way high. Seeing over the nose is way over rated. :)

Good eye. :yes:

It was the first time flying on skis for this guy. The skis are a tad draggy when the temps are warm. The tendency (for newbies) is to pull the tail up a tad too much on start up. It doesn't take long (with a whopping 65HP in front) to understand you need to help the plane all you can. Technique is learned very quickly on the 2,000' grass strip. After 400-500' you can tip the plane on one ski which really help reduce ski drag. It's all about finesse with 65HP. :lol: :rolleyes2: :eek:

Last edited:
The skis are a tad draggy when the temps are warm. The tendency (for newbies) is to pull the tail up a tad too much on start up.

Gotcha. Cubs already have real light tails anyway. I'd love to do a little ski flying.

Your rigging sure looks like it's flying with the tips higher than normal.

Straight skis are a blast to fly.

Silly question, but do skis require a separate rating? I'm still learning how to land a 172, so forgive me.

Silly question, but do skis require a separate rating? I'm still learning how to land a 172, so forgive me.

That is an excellent question. None that I am aware of, but they certainly require a skill set that is out of the ordinary.

Since this is a certified plane does it need an STC? :dunno:

No rating, but there are some techniques to learn. Most guys get some basic tips and then learn by trial and error. As with floats there are no brakes. Steering is not precise. On hard packed snow and ice there's very little drag so takeoffs are short but easy sliding makes long landings. In soft conditions the landings are shorter but takeoffs are longer. ski flying is fun but it has perils. The worst being overflow under the snow on a frozen lake or river. Instant stuck. Not fun.

Re: STC? That depends on the plane and the skis. AC43.13-2B chapter 5 discusses skis and provides guidance for installation. Including rigging. :wink2:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
my boys keep telling me that snowboarding is way more fun that skiing ... any way you can make a center mounted snowboard instead? :)

Dunno. To me it's just plain goofy that someone would strap both feet to one board and throw oneself down a mountain.

Dunno. To me it's just plain goofy that someone would strap both feet to one board and throw oneself down a mountain.

It's a generational thing for sure. I don't "get" snowboarding as you have much less control than skiing, and the speed potential isn't as great. However, kids are much more concerned with image than substance, and snowboarding is considered cool, and skiing old school. Too bad, skiing is much better, and yes I've done both. I don't have ANY desire to snowboard.

I taught skiing for several years. That was back when freestyle skiing came into its own. people thought we were crazy. Compared to today's extreme skiers we were mild. So it goes with snow boarders. Some of them get my respect. Big talent, big balls. Here's my favorite example.

https://vimeo.com/6328896

Back