Skier's anxiety

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
NM has bombed this year "2nd hottest year on record" "2/7 lifts open" "0/15 black open".
Man I feel for those operators. And I worry about their future. Has to be like a lot like agriculture where some years are way below breakeven.
How is Colorado?

I hear that. I've cancelled one ski trip this year. Pushed it back to the first week of March. If there isn't snow then, I'm gonna blow a gasket.

I know how you feel! I go out to Snowbird, Utah every year, last year was a bummer, conditions day one and two were good, the rest was not. Warm, very warm and not much snowed. It was warmer at the base of that mountain in utah than it was at my home in Florida.

I'm heading out there two weeks, hoping for a better season again this year

I cancelled plans to take my Scout Troop skiing at Ski Apache this weekend.
Just all going camping on the S Llano river instead.

It’s a rock ski year in Colorado. The reports look pretty sucky. Maybe Wolf Creek is okay...

Colorado ski areas got snow. They are a bit below normal, but they have opened slopes that dont have snowmaking. Snowmaking slopes are fine. The mountains got like 15" 3 or 4 days ago. It helped a LOT.

So are the places with snow mobbed, as everyone tries to get some runs in, or are people staying away in hordes because of the conditions?

So are the places with snow mobbed, as everyone tries to get some runs in, or are people staying away in hordes because of the conditions?
It's hard to tell. Went up last weekend, and Saturday had the longest lift lines I've been in all season (I don't ski on holidays) even though it hadn't snowed in a week. Saturday night and Sunday they got 7" of snow and we didn't wait in any lines on Sunday. Crazy....

Steamboat is almost 100% open. I don’t go in the trees at all as the cover isn’t good enough for me. Word is we have the best of a poor year.

Cheers

And yet in Atlanta we've had long stretches of 20+ degrees below average as well as the 6th highest amount of snow for Atlanta, and the winter isn't over yet. o_O

Of course all of our snow so far would just be a light day for many of those ski resorts in a typical year.

We went to Breck last year and it was in great shape; end of Feb, beginning of March.

We latched on to Heavenly years ago by dumb luck, fortuitous as even in bad years like this they make enough snow to have a decent day of skiing all season long, for us, anyway. Yesterday's foot of powder brought out all the snow snobs, it was mobbed for a non-holiday Thursday.

Oh this can't be! Don't you know that Global Warming is just a hoax promoted by the Chinese to hurt our businesses?

Oh this can't be! Don't you know that Global Warming is just a hoax promoted by the Chinese to hurt our businesses?

:rolleyes:

Some years are better than others for skiing. Plus it depends upon where and when you go. Alta had 596" last year.

Snowfall in Colorado was lower than average last year, but snow quite a bit just before we got there at the end of February. Early in the season the snowfall was light in Colorado last year, but conditions were great at Breck at the end of Feb; and I think into March as well.

It’s a rock ski year in Colorado. The reports look pretty sucky. Maybe Wolf Creek is okay...

No, Wolf Creek is where we go. Some of my family went over the holidays and skied on about 14-20 inches. Pitiful! They're up to a whopping 34" last time I looked, which is doable, but for a place that normally has 80+ by now, it's pretty crappy. We're quite used to 100+ inches when we usually go first week of March. It's the driest I've seen it in the 30 years I've been skiing. Dang La Nina!

I still don’t go in the Steamboat trees until we get more serious snow. 5” last night is a start.

Cheers

60" bases at Snow Creek just north of Kansas City a couple weeks ago.

It's probably lower now due to the near 70 degree days we've been having. It's manufactured snow, and it's a river bluff, but when we had a that stretch of -0s there actually was pretty decent powder and fun skiing.

Okay....I have to say....I said to myself once I read the OP, "I bet steingar makes a global warming comment on this thread" lol. :p

Well the east started out like gangbusters between cold and good snow making and a fair amount of the real stuff. Then we got two stretches of about three days each in the 40's with some rain and places went from 100% open to about 70% open.

Going up this weekend. They have at least had 3 very cold days to blow snow, but is going to be on the mid 30's again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know there's a lot of people that don't consider the Appalachians a skiing area, but snowfall is pretty good on the east coast.

Global warming is not "This place didn't get snow this year". Global warming is "the average temperature last year was 30 and the average this year is 30.1". The fact is, there is so much rabid rhetoric put out about global warming that it obscures facts.

You all have airplanes. Fly to Colorado.

Finally got some snow in central sierras this week although coverage is still light. Took a trip to Whitefish, MT a couple weeks ago. It was snowing when we landed in Kalispell and didn't stop until we left. They had been receiving good snow before we arrived so they had really good coverage and then we got two full powder days. I hadn't been to Whitefish before but, loved it. We normally take a trip somewhere out of Cali once a season, typically either Vail or Park City. Whitefish is definitely in the mix now. We liked the lower key atmosphere. The mountain was great and the town is pretty cool. Good food and beer was easy to find. If you don't mind a little travel, i highly recommend it. The town is about 20 minutes from the resort.

We stayed at the Duck Inn in Whitefish. Great B&B on the whitefish river, highly recommend it. Side note, looking forward to going back in the summer to visit glacier national park.

I went skiing once. I went from falling over gracelessly every other minute to falling with some semblance of grace every third minute. My left elbow didn't work right for 6 months. You guys can have it. I'll stick to aviation.

I hear y'all, I too am anxious to get back up on the slopes. Not sure what's up with this winter but we too (here in TX) probably had more cold weather than the slopes at 9000ft.
We discussed with some local pilots that we'd fly out to some NM skiing areas this winter for some fun time (a friend has a Tur-Bo) but so far, we'd only be hiking in mud.
Still waiting on those 10"! (I know, I know, that's what she s...)
Hoping that the cold front his weekend and others bring some lower temperatures and warm fronts dump snow. After that, it's skiing time!!! :)

Durango got dumped on about a week or so ago and I heard the resort was doing well.

Wolf Creek is likely fine, as always. Not sure though.

NM is pretty bad. It's been hot here all winter.
Santa Fe only has a 24" base and like 18 runs open
Taos has a 20" base :( and 23 trails open
Red River has 20" base and 20 runs open
Angel Fire has 12" base!! and 11 runs open

It sucks here for skiing right now. The wet winter we were supposed to have hasn't happened. Hell we went almost 100 days with ZERO moisture until it broke after the new year.

Skied Telluride Jan 1st through 7th. We go every year for the past 19 years, this was the hardest year for them. They did get some snow on 6th and 7th. The trails looked good after, but most of the mountain that had finally turned white was brown when we departed on the 8th.

Rode at Breck, Keystone, and A-Basin from the 6th-11th earlier this month. Snow was waaaay better than expected from reports I'd been hearing, and I think it's only gotten better since then.

It sucks here for skiing right now. The wet winter we were supposed to have hasn't happened. Hell we went almost 100 days with ZERO moisture until it broke after the new year.

When you guys are dry, Gallup will be dry. We need your rain and snow to have water here.

I’m hoping PA gets dumped on around the 3rd week of February. Have to run up to central PA and will be going night skiing as long as enough runs are open. Cheap as can be, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back