SiriusXM receiver recommendations?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Can anyone recommend a low profile receiver that can be moved from auto dock to in-home dock use easily? It doesn't need to have access to the 300 premium channel packages. We'll need to buy everything except the program package itself - we have a subscription for our OEM Honda radio and we'll transfer it to the new unit. Are there Bluetooth options (we use a Jawbone Big Jambox at home via Bluetooth)?

I am pretty sure that for in home use you could just log onto Sirius and stream the audio. Something like an Apple Airport Express has audio output jacks so you coule remote that to your computer via WiFi and have the AAE next to the stereo.

I am pretty sure that for in home use you could just log onto Sirius and stream the audio. Something like an Apple Airport Express has audio output jacks so you coule remote that to your computer via WiFi and have the AAE next to the stereo.

We'll be using it in a location where there is no Internet access and no cell data, when it isn't in our car.

I have one that they sold me, refurbished, two years ago, for $19.99. It works fine. Nothing fancy, but how fancy does it need to be?

I have no idea what the model number is offhand. I can check it tomorrow, though. Then they sold me the home kit for less than I would have paid in the store, so I was pretty happy.

Where I live, there's basically no OTA radio, so Sirius is a must. We have Sirius at home, Sirius in the car, Sirius in the supermarket, Sirius in the doctor's office... if we had elevators, we'd probably Sirius in there, too.

Other than Sirius, we do have a low-power radio station a few miles away that broadcasts when the licensee is sober enough to fire up the transmitter on an irregular schedule, but that's about it.

-Rich

Sounds like Alaska right down the low power station ;)

Did you get your refurbished model from SiriusXM?

Sounds like Alaska right down the low power station ;)

Did you get your refurbished model from SiriusXM?

Yep. I actually had one before then that I bought from eBay. When it stopped working, I called Sirius, and they sold me the refurbished one over the phone, along with the home kit. I'm pretty sure they picked up the shipping, as well. They're a pretty good outfit.

I think they gave me a 90-day warranty, which in my experience is usually long enough to determine if an electronic device is defective or not. It's been nearly two years since then, and it's going strong with daily use.

-Rich

Last edited:
It's a "Stratus 6" radio. Pic attached. You just pop it in and out of the car caddy and the house caddy. One account, two places, woo-hoo!

Excuse the dust and the snowflakes. I would love to do spring cleaning, but it's 26 degrees and snowing outside at the moment... I think spring has been canceled this year.

-Rich

EDIT: I just use the built-in transmitter to shoot the signal to the car radio because I'm too cheap to replace the radio with one that has an AUX input. The transmitter works just fine up here, though, because there's no interference. I have two frequencies programmed into it, and never have I been in a place north of New York City where both of those frequencies were used by OTA stations.

Attachments

• 0402131122.jpg
    0402131122.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back