Sinus Issues 1st Class Medical

M

Masoncr2071

Hello everyone,
I am a commercial multi rated pilot currently working on my cfi. I go to a part 141 school and am graduating in December. I have experienced sinus pain over the past few months when flying and went to an ENT. He requested a CT scan of my sinuses and came to the conclusion that I have a narrow sinus passage on the right side which will need to be expanded to allow air to flow out of the sinuses upon descent. With the narrow passage, my sinus is not allowed to equalize pressure which creates extreme pain. He says that this will be a one and done deal, and after the passage is opened I should have no issues ever again. He also said that I have no signs of sinusitis. I was wondering if this will prevent me from keeping a first class medical. I don't think it should, since he did say one and done deal, but I am kind of stressing about it because my dream is to become an airline pilot. Any insight would be appreciated!

So what you're saying is they want to drill a hole in your head?

Recommendation is to go the person you use for your medicals and ask for a consult. My non doctor type take is that you're fine.

So what you're saying is they want to drill a hole in your head?

Recommendation is to go the person you use for your medicals and ask for a consult. My non doctor type take is that you're fine.

hahah I guess kinda.. they basically just stick a balloon in there and expand the balloon which then expands the opening. It’s a quick and easy procedure according to my ent. Just allows the air to get out of the sinus cavity.

Always health first.

As a professional, if you have a question, get a consult with an AME who knows their stuff. They can guide you on not just what the rules are, but also what you need to make sure is done/not done by the doctors to ensure you stay certifiable. You should never go into a medical wondering if you're going to pass. If you need testing or paperwork, get it done before the medical and bring it into the medical. The consult helps prepare you for that.

not a big deal when you're younger. But it's the only way to stay in the air as you age.

I know a guy that had sinus surgery to correct some issues. He had chronic infections and hurt a lot. Went to duke. The fixed him. Still rocking the 1st class medical. Just don’t go into it blind. Talk to your AME.

Waiting on the Vinnie Barbarino meme

Drill holes?

Attachments

• bart-drill-homer-bucket-simpsons-1024x576.jpg
    bart-drill-homer-bucket-simpsons-1024x576.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 72
Go to an AME for a consultation to be certain, but I had my sinuses reamed out twice to fix chronic sinus infections. Worked fine, didn’t affect my Class I at all.
Miserable surgery, but it works. Mine was 25 years ago; maybe they don’t use the pipe cleaners anymore. Good luck.

Just be aware that if they do the surgery to open the airways for whatever reason (deviated septum, swollen nasal passageways) that it’s not always successful. It can come back after surgery as well.

Hello everyone,
I am a commercial multi rated pilot currently working on my cfi. I go to a part 141 school and am graduating in December. I have experienced sinus pain over the past few months when flying and went to an ENT. He requested a CT scan of my sinuses and came to the conclusion that I have a narrow sinus passage on the right side which will need to be expanded to allow air to flow out of the sinuses upon descent. With the narrow passage, my sinus is not allowed to equalize pressure which creates extreme pain. He says that this will be a one and done deal, and after the passage is opened I should have no issues ever again. He also said that I have no signs of sinusitis. I was wondering if this will prevent me from keeping a first class medical. I don't think it should, since he did say one and done deal, but I am kind of stressing about it because my dream is to become an airline pilot. Any insight would be appreciated!

The FAA will want to see your medical records associated with the diagnosis and subsequent correction, along with a status report.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...m/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item26/amd/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back