SinoSwearingenPlant Trip - worlds fastest light bizjet

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Found myself unexpectedly in San Antonio yesterday and was looking around for something to do. I saw on another forum someone else looking for the same and the Sino Swearingen factory was mentioned - now that's right up my aisle, so I called them asking about a tour somehow without revealing that I would never have enough personal assets to even qualify for a loan for one of the interior light bulbs on the a/c let alone a whole jet....and they graciously agreed!
http://www.sj30jet.com/
We got a great guided tour by the gentleman who is charged with the task of commencing a flight training program for the new SJ30 they are developing. So far they have built about 7 of them. They make the wings, fuselage in WV and truck them here to ksat for assembly on the NE side of the field. You can see one plane just got back from Wa where it was for icing certification and is still painted up and rigged out with probes, sensors and cameras. Apparently the ride with the FAA was a sphincter-clencher as they inadvertently entered severe.. but they were able to stay clean. This airplane we were allowed to sit in the cockpit. It was pretty stripped out, no interior and a couple of tech seats in the back with computers and test equipment attached. The cockpit is no different in general size than the CJ, although there is a LOT less glass. Seems like the front window is about 6" high - definitely not designed for sight-seeing! There were a couple of Honeywell flat panels but we didnt get into the details of it much.

Mach.83
2500nm range
certified to 490, can hold sea level cabin to 410
has very similar engines as the CJ, FJ44s
leading edge slats, carrier a/c style landing gear, a neat flying strake instead of a typical yaw damper, I think he said 14,500ramp weight.

After the tour we dined at the Salt Grass, pretty nice, then a late pm departure home in the CJ (KSAT, Bowie 3 departure to JCT then direct in clear skies and setting sun) and a night flight to elpaso and back in the turboprop :)

I was afraid of a heat crash on this computer so I posted, now the pics:
Now lets see how big this server is...
PS the one shot of 'eggs' is the radar of a citation at the service center.

Attachments

• Ifran1.jpg
    Ifran1.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Ifran2.jpg
    Ifran2.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Ifran3.jpg
    Ifran3.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 15
  • Ifran4.jpg
    Ifran4.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Ifran5.jpg
    Ifran5.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Ifran6.jpg
    Ifran6.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Ifran7.jpg
    Ifran7.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Ifran8.jpg
    Ifran8.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Ifran9.jpg
    Ifran9.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Ifran10.jpg
    Ifran10.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Ifran11.jpg
    Ifran11.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Ifran12.jpg
    Ifran12.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Ifran13.jpg
    Ifran13.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Ifran14.jpg
    Ifran14.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Ifran15.jpg
    Ifran15.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Ifran16.jpg
    Ifran16.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Ifran17.jpg
    Ifran17.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 8
  • Ifran18.jpg
    Ifran18.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Ifran19.jpg
    Ifran19.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Ifran20.jpg
    Ifran20.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 10
Dave,

Next time you're down here with nothing to do, give me a ring...

bill

I will, Bill - and thanks!
This trip, like most - I didn't know if Id be on the ground for a QT or for hours.
There is talk of another to sat early March.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I will, Bill - and thanks!
This trip, like most - I didn't know if Id be on the ground for a QT or for hours.
There is talk of another to sat early March.

No problem... until I find regular work, I can be pretty flexible....

bill

"World's fastest light bizjet": sounds very much like something needed at, say, a ranch in west Texas.

Definitely. Don't think the thought -er... fantasy, has not crossed my mind!

Back