Single most unimportant instrument.

Well I forgot to take the picture until it was getting dark and I had already pulled the plane into the hangar. I had to use a flashlight. The high definition makes it appear that I need to dust the panel even though it appears squeaky clean.

Here is the mystery instrument:

Some sort of old RMI with an adjustable bug? It's about the only thing I could think of that would have 1 needle, a unmovable compass card, and a single pointer.

Similar to this:

$_12.JPG

But the way you describe it makes it sound like it's slaved to the heading indicator or a compass. Maybe it was used to plan turns? I'm established on a 090 heading but I have to turn to the final approach course of 210 in a few minutes... maybe???

That's a odd one for sure.

Last edited:
The Hobbs is broken in my Cardinal. Of course as an owner I don't particularly care, I log time by writing the wall clock time in and out on a little card and do the math afterwards. But I find it funny that as soon as I am no longer a renter the one instrument I want to fail as a renter doesn't work!

The Hobbs is broken in my Cardinal. Of course as an owner I don't particularly care, I log time by writing the wall clock time in and out on a little card and do the math afterwards. But I find it funny that as soon as I am no longer a renter the one instrument I want to fail as a renter doesn't work!

Wouldn't this hurt the resale value or something as you can't "prove" the total time? (I'm super ignorant about the inner workings of actual aircraft ownership.)

Wouldn't this hurt the resale value or something as you can't "prove" the total time? (I'm super ignorant about the inner workings of actual aircraft ownership.)

That comes from the Tach. Hobbs is how rental outfits squeeze more money out of you :)

The 90s King "electronic" VOR CDI. All it does is swing back and forth even when directly on the radial. If I'm going to teach a PPL student instrument I take them up in one of our instrument Maules with an actual CDI.

Or the EGT gauge on the new panel Maules. I have yet to find a fellow instructor who knows how to use the darn thing. I know its more accurate then the three twists of the Mixture, however, I've heard 20 different ways on how to use it and read it.

Back