Single Engine Piston into KPHX

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
Has anyone flown a single engine piston into KPHX recently? I'm thinking of doing this soon. I'm looking for some feedback on how you're experience was.

I've done it several times in a Mooney, both VFR and IFR, and never had any issues. I've used Cutter, which is very reasonable with good service. The general aviation FBOs are along the shorter south runway, so you are away from most of the airline traffic.
Jon

When I visit people in Mesa it’s fun to look up in the sky at night and see airliners spaced out for arrival into KPHX. That’s a busy one.

I've done it. Anticlimactic is how I would describe it.

ATC had me hold SW of the approach end of RWY 7R and South Mountain. The holding was not excessive, maybe a couple of 360s. When there was a break in the traffic flow, they instructed me to fly direct to the numbers RWY 7R at best possible speed. There was a 737 on the approach behind me. I turned off on taxiway H3 right in front of Cutter.

There were a lot more single engine piston airplanes on the ramp than I was expecting.

PHX is probably the easiest, most accommodating Class B airports for GA. Always my preferred airport to land at when I’m flying into the valley.

That said, in 2000 hours of flying, the only time I’ve ever been given a hold flying IFR, was flying a piston single into PHX.

Back