Single Engine Down at KLWM (Lawrence, MA)

News reporting it as a Sonex

Man..it's been a bad week!

Pilot now confirmed dead and all residents are ok via local news. Crash contained to non-occupied attic.

News is saying older pilot flying a homebuilt with history of problems. One report said Sonex homebuilt. Thankfully no one else was hurt. RIP to the pilot.

News is saying older pilot flying a homebuilt with history of problems. One report said Sonex homebuilt. Thankfully no one else was hurt. RIP to the pilot.
I wouldn't believe the news reports. They're making a big deal about him building his own plane and being a "sport" pilot to which they add "it takes less training than a real pilot".
I can't help but think these journalists don't know how to do a proper background check on any subject. I am beginning to wonder if they ever even graduated when one considers the stupid things they say.

I can't help but think these journalists don't know how to do a proper background check on any subject. I am beginning to wonder if they ever even graduated when one considers the stupid things they say.

The reality is that journalists are asked to cover many different subjects and they are not subject matter experts on any of them. It is up to us (the aviation community) to reach out to them and give them better information. I've had several articles in the Atlanta paper corrected over the years by sending an e-mail to the writer stating the facts in an objective way and providing my credentials and contact information.

Reach out to them. It does work. They prefer to write accurate news reports.

He was a political figure in the area for years, the journalists want you to believe it was ,a less substantial airplane, because it was a home built.and he was a substNdard pilot because of his rating. May He Rest In Peace.

He was a political figure in the area for years, the journalists want you to believe it was ,a less substantial airplane, because it was a home built.and he was a substNdard pilot because of his rating. May He Rest In Peace.

Do you really think they care? I don't. I suspect they have biases simply because the terminology can be interpreted that way.

Base to final turn, with an S-turn, and stall.

As of Oct, Sport Pilot had 28.4 hours since obtaining his ticket in May 2014. You need 20 hours to get your sport license, so even if he had gained his ticket right at 20 hours, that's 8.4 hours of flying over 18 months...

Whats the deal with the S-turn? That's odd

Whats the deal with the S-turn? That's odd

Correcting an overshoot on final was my thinking. Get uncoordinated and the day ends in a bad way. Esp in something like a Sonex which can be pretty sporty anyway.

The unofficial talk from some people in the area has been a base to final turn stall. Pretty sad by all accounts he was a great guy

Back