Single Engine Airplanes that have a lot of room.

I have flown in an SR22 and it is nice but seriously "smashing her through the door in a 172" as I said I am a big guy way bigger than you and I have flown in an Aeronca Super Chief with 6' 200 pound instructor when doing my TW endorsement. Sure you have to forgo personal space (and a lot of fuel) :) but a 172 is really not that bad. The SR22 is going to cost 2X+ the 172 per hour but if you can afford it go for it.

It was a suggestion based on the size request. For the PPL the SR20 works just as well and is cheaper. The SR22, like other sleek and/or high HP planes, is a traveling plane. It can be a bit pricey for training or short "$100 hamburger" flights, but it's great for going somewhere.

Piper Cherokee Six/Lance/Saratoga

It was a suggestion based on the size request. For the PPL the SR20 works just as well and is cheaper. The SR22, like other sleek and/or high HP planes, is a traveling plane. It can be a bit pricey for training or short "$100 hamburger" flights, but it's great for going somewhere.

The SR22 in my opinion is an outstanding traveling plane. I agree completely. For training it is pretty pricey.

I haven't flown any Dakotas, Arrows, or Archers, but I have flown all of their earlier, Hershey bar winged counterparts, Cherokee 140/180/235. I find those to be fairly uncomfortable because of where the side of the cabin begins to curve inward is too low. It puts me in a slightly leaned over position, and eventually ends up making my back hurt. I'm pretty long waisted, so it may not be a problem for others. My shoulder touches the side of the cabin in Cessnas too, but the cabin wall stays vertical until well above shoulder level, so I can sit up straight. I know Piper stretched the cabins lengthwise when they went to the tapered wing variants, but did they widen the cabin too? If not, he may not dig it. Only way to tell is to go fly in it.

I know Piper stretched the cabins lengthwise when they went to the tapered wing variants, but did they widen the cabin too?
Nope. No difference in the front seat area. The door is a little wider on the '73 and later models ('72 and later Arrows). That helps a wee bit in entry-exit ease, but that's it.

BTW, the early stretch-cabin models still had Hershey-bar wings -- '72 to '76 Arrow II; '73-'75 Challenger/Archer (180 hp); and '73-'77 Charger/Pathfinder (235 hp).

Last edited:
I thought part of learning to fly and cutting your chops in aviation was sweating in a stinky old plane filling the cabin with BBQ burps and rubbing shoulders with the CFI. Not to mention accidentally grazing his thigh when you reach down for the flaps and almost falling on him because your first few stalls are so uncoordinated, it drops a wing and you swap sweat.

My CFI always had his arm around my seat back because the only other alternative would likely be my lap.
It felt gay but in a good way.

That is how it is supposed to start right?

Nope. No difference in the front seat area. The door is a little wider on the '73 and later models ('72 and later Arrows). That helps a wee bit in entry-exit ease, but that's it.

BTW, the early stretch-cabin models still had Hershey-bar wings -- '72 to '76 Arrow II; '73-'75 Challenger/Archer (180 hp); and '73-'77 Charger/Pathfinder (235 hp).

Copy that. Pardon the inaccuracy.

My wife thinks our C210 is big and roomie compared to the C182 we flew for years :)

I thought part of learning to fly and cutting your chops in aviation was sweating in a stinky old plane filling the cabin with BBQ burps and rubbing shoulders with the CFI. Not to mention accidentally grazing his thigh when you reach down for the flaps and almost falling on him because your first few stalls are so uncoordinated, it drops a wing and you swap sweat.

My CFI always had his arm around my seat back because the only other alternative would likely be my lap.
It felt gay but in a good way.

That is how it is supposed to start right?
yes....it's all part of the nurturing flight instructing model. :eek:

Depending on your mission, don't discount LSA. The CT cabin is wider than a 182 at 49". Many CT fliers are 6'2" 250 plus.
CT, yes. But many LSAs have pilot weight limits as low as 240 lbs. Still, it's true that LSA makers are trying to make them insanely wide all the time. This is really bothersome for me, because I would prefer a better headroom instead and nobody gives a flying poop.

AN-2..???

GOPR0773_HDR_ethereal.jpeg

:D

So I spoke to my buddy a few mins ago and he met someone that has a Piper Dakota. I haven't been in one personally, this will be his first low wing airplane experience he is just going around the pattern to see if he likes it or not.

Never been up in a Piper Dakota do you think that is going to help his space issue?

I always loved Pipers and I'm a bit jealous!

I just wanted to update you guys, (Thanks for the advice this far). He went up in the Dakota for 1 Hour and...HE LOVED IT! He was able to adjust his seat back and although there isn't much room in the back for passengers he had the room he was looking for. Now his plan is to learn how to fly in one and then purchase. He was really excited and I'm glad we got another potential airplane owner in the sky.

I have never been in one. What are they like to fly compared to say a 180 and Archer, (Planes that I have flown). Is maintenance expensive? Parts hard to find...etc? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

I have never been in [a Dakota]. What are they like to fly compared to say a 180 and Archer, (Planes that I have flown). Is maintenance expensive? Parts hard to find...etc? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!
Anyone reasonably comptent in an Archer would have no problem in a Dakota. The fuselage and cabin aft of the firewall are identical; wings are the same in shape and airfoil, but Dakota's two wing tanks carry more fuel. It's more powerful, a little heavier and quieter (max 2400 rpm vs. Archer's 2700). There is a constant speed prop, but with such a slow-turning engine a lazy pilot could simply leave the blue knob all the way forward all the time, and be just fine.

PICT1866.JPG

I'm a big guy. The 20/22 is comfortable with tow big guys in front.

I love Cirrus Airplanes but the Piper brand is cheaper to own, fly and maintain all across the board. That is what my friend was looking for.

Back