Simulated short field landing... video

916Bob

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
916Bob
I like to take videos of my track driving and the more interesting parts of my flights as training aids, (for myself). I've had to start relying on this training method as most of my past instructors refuse to fly or ride with me anymore. I also often find that I have had my eyes closed during the more stressful times of flights or sessions so the videos are the only way I actually get to experience the whole event. Anyway, here's a recent short field landing simulation I recorded. It's less than 3 minutes long and I've been able to stay awake through it twice already. Enjoy!

"I've had to start relying on this training method as most of my past instructors refuse to fly or ride with me anymore. I also often find that I have had my eyes closed during the more stressful times of flights or sessions so the videos are the only way I actually get to experience the whole event

huh??

Remind me to never ride with you. Pilots with there eyes closed during stressful situations does not sound like a safe recipe.
That being said you did stop pretty short!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
...most of my past instructors refuse to fly or ride with me anymore. I also often find that I have had my eyes closed during the more stressful times of flights or sessions so the videos are the only way I actually get to experience the whole event.
Sounds like you've got the makings of a flight instructor!

Now let's see one with a simulated 50' obstacle. ;)

"I've had to start relying on this training method as most of my past instructors refuse to fly or ride with me anymore. I also often find that I have had my eyes closed during the more stressful times of flights or sessions so the videos are the only way I actually get to experience the whole event

huh??

As I wrote this, I had a good chuckle as I figured no one would actually believe it, but that some might get a laugh out of considering there might actually be such a person... so much for that. :)

I like to joke that once I’m over the threshold I close my eyes and use the force.

I guess that’s one of those things best kept to yourself!

As I wrote this, I had a good chuckle as I figured no one would actually believe it, but that some might get a laugh out of considering there might actually be such a person... so much for that. :)
Yeah, I thought you were serious when I first read it. My funny bone must be on the fritz this morning! :)

Oh, and very nice simulated short field landing.

I just thought it was a variant on the "Pilot asleep and flies past airport" story.
Nicely done.

I am low time, but here are my 2 cents. I do find a lot of differences between the short field and obstacle clearance landings. The former allows you to be low and slow and drag it in on a low glide slope and the latter often requires full flaps, power off, steep approach.

The fields that I learned on all had tall trees close to both ends of the runways and were not super short at 2700’ but short enough for summer in a 150. Other runways that were shorter like Fisher Island CT 0B8 at 2300, or Andover 12N at 1980’ have flat water at both ends so zero obstacles in the flight path.

So most of my first landings were all steep approaches with 40 degree flaps and mostly power off. Other planes without barn doors or higher speeds would be much different in technique I imagine. Practicing both types of short field landings would be warranted.

Sounds like you've got the makings of a flight instructor!

Now let's see one with a simulated 50' obstacle. ;)

Yeah- whatever happened to Space Shuttle approaches with 60 degree glide slopes? Everyone loves to show off their "short field" landings where they mow 8 acres of golf course grass for 2 miles short of touchdown. Show me some real short field stuff with trees on the ends of the runway! ;)

I am based at XA99, a 2,300' grass strip south of KLUD with trees on the north end. I base a Cessna 340 here ,so I have had to get fairly proficient at short field work. Come on out if you want to perfect your technique on the real deal!

I am based at XA99, a 2,300' grass strip south of KLUD with trees on the north end. I base a Cessna 340 here ,so I have had to get fairly proficient at short field work. Come on out if you want to perfect your technique on the real deal!

Wow, that’s mighty short for a twin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If this is a legitimate invitation, I'd love to. It'd be reminiscent of the old days at my Dad's place up on Redlands Mesa in CO. Field elevation was 6400ft with 2600ft of dirt. You had to come in at a little bit of an angle over the cliff to miss the hangar but that just made it fun. I expect that I should call Brian beforehand?

If this is a legitimate invitation, I'd love to. It'd be reminiscent of the old days at my Dad's place up on Redlands Mesa in CO. Field elevation was 6400ft with 2600ft of dirt. You had to come in at a little bit of an angle over the cliff to miss the hangar but that just made it fun. I expect that I should call Brian beforehand?
Of Course! email me when you want to come out. Its obviously too wet right now, but it will dry up quick.
doug@geologist.com

Back