"Simulated Instrument" hours before starting my Instrument Rating?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Should I be knocking out some of the simulated instrument hours before starting my Instrument Rating? I could do this with my dad (Private Pilot) in the right seat when we fly on the weekends.

I wasn't sure if it would be better to wait on doing any simulated instrument until I actually started the Instrument Rating with an instructor (in order to make sure I am building good habits).

Thanks.

Thanks guys that is what I figured.

Should I be knocking out some of the simulated instrument hours before starting my Instrument Rating? I could do this with my dad (Private Pilot) in the right seat when we fly on the weekends.

I wasn't sure if it would be better to wait on doing any simulated instrument until I actually started the Instrument Rating with an instructor (in order to make sure I am building good habits).

Thanks.

The first few hours of almost all instrument syllabi are devoted to droning through the sky learning how to control the airplane solely by instrument reference...climbs, descents, turns, speed changes, etc...until muscle memory kicks in. Very boring for the instructor, but essential. You should have professional guidance.

Bob Gardner

Many will object to this statement. Don't go under the hood with anyone other than a CFI until you've finished your rating.

Too many well meaning "IFR guys" can't help but pseudo-instruct and they are just plain not qualified.

Learn from a professional and then enlist the help of your buddies to remain current.

Many will object to this statement. Don't go under the hood with anyone other than a CFI until you've finished your rating.

Too many well meaning "IFR guys" can't help but pseudo-instruct and they are just plain not qualified.

Learn from a professional and then enlist the help of your buddies to remain current.

Yea that was pretty much my plan anyways

The first few hours of almost all instrument syllabi are devoted to droning through the sky learning how to control the airplane solely by instrument reference...climbs, descents, turns, speed changes, etc...until muscle memory kicks in. Very boring for the instructor, but essential. You should have professional guidance.

Geez, I remember my 1st few instrument lessons, flying patterns A and B until my CFII was satisfied.

Wait,untill you choose an instructor,and find out his likes and dislikes.

Thanks.
It's fine of you do, but you should limit the time to honing basic attitude flying and no go off onto any procedural training. Basically, focus on maintaining heading and altitude and tracking VOR or GPS courses.

Back