Simuflite #2 - a taste of the life

Ryan Ferguson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan Ferguson
I feel like I live here. Honestly.

I know all of the front desk folks here at the Amerisuites by their first names. I know most of the shuttle drivers. I know each and every convenience store within walking distance, and I know the Grapevine Mall pretty darn well, too. (I also know to avoid the local Whattaburger - oooaaahh, my aching gut.)

I arrived at CAE Simuflite DFW on June 6. As I write this, we're just 45 minutes shy of June 19. The checkride is June 21. It seems like I'll never get home to my wife and daughter.

Today was "cold weather" day in the sim. Various sundry electrical failures (inverters, buses, alternators and generators), icy runways, lots of twists of the TKS egg-timer, engine anti-ice failures. Oh, and of course the ever present rejected takeoffs, V1 cuts, second segment climb flameouts, and engine fires. Fun stuff. (Well, it was fun a few days ago, but now this stuff is just getting long in the tooth.)

Perhaps the most fundamentally different concept in most turbojet airplanes, and the one that's been hardest to "train out" of me as a piston driver, is that only rarely does an in-flight emergency require any immediate action other than flying the airplane. This is especially true at low altitudes.

For example, say you lose #1 at V1. This is a "ho-hum" event because all you're gonna do is pitch to the command bars (12 degrees nose up in Go-Around mode), override the APR if necessary, and retract the gear at positive rate. Pitching into the bars automatically gives you V2. If you feel like it, and you probably will, use aileron trim to ease the control pressures. If the engine's on fire, you'll probably want to isolate the warning bell, just because it's so loud you can hardly hear yourself think, and it's causing your passengers to wet their pants.

Oh. And leave your feet on the floor. Rudder bias (which is a function of engine bleed air) will actuate the rudder for you, and apply the proper amount of pedal pressure.

For now, you're done. There's no flurry of activity in the cockpit. The PNF will make a leisurely call to ATC and declare the emergency. The PF doesn't call for checklists, doesn't let loose a bunch of cockpit-kung fu, he simply flies the airplane. V2 up to 1500 feet AGL.

If the density altitudes are low, and/or you're light, you'll zip right up to 1,500 feet. If not, it may be a rather ponderous climb at 500-700fpm, using a good chunk of your 5 minute APR window to get there. Single engine performance can be surprisingly poor.

At 1500 feet, the PF accelerates to V2+6 for single-engine flap retract speed, calls for Flaps 0, and maybe considers taking a radar vector for the ILS. As you do this, accelerate to Venr.

The entire time this is taking place, #1 might be burning a bright, blazing trail in the night sky, but you're not worried about much in particular except keeping the stars above and the streetlights below. (More than likely, in the sim, you're solidly in cloud and the departure airport is reporting 200 and a quarter.) Now, you finally call for the Engine Fire checklist, shut the mother down if it's not producing power (and/or you don't need it), and complete the engine shutdown checklist.

It is, at best, a leisurely pace. If the engine falls off its titanium engine mounts in the process, so much the better. Either way, the problem is contained beyond the pylon, you're doing fine on the good remaining engine, and you don't care a lick about that sick dog.

This is a fundamental shift from how this sort of training was once conducted. Once upon a time, a V1 cut would cause the flight deck to descend into a frenzy of activity right after rotation. It seems that this burst of activity combined with the inherent weaknesses of human memory often made an emergency worse. Hence the change.

Another change to which I've become accustomed is the greatly-increased role which the autopilot plays. It's permissible (encouraged, actually) to fly most of the type checkride using Otto. Coming from a GA flight training background, this was hard for me to initially accept. I probably spent too much time trying to learn how to hand-fly the sim. (The real airplane is much easier to fly.) Today it finally "clicked" for whatever reason, when I learned to simply trim off the control pressures and stop nudging the yoke! Just set it and park it. It doesn't fly like an airplane, it flies like a sim, and I had to learn how to fly the sim.

The easiest way to set power in the jet, incidentally, is with fuel flows. This is an instantaneous readout of power, vs. attempting to set power with %N1. It takes a while for that big fan to spool up or down. In the 700, setting 750pph/side is a great way to get 200KIAS for training maneuvers and approach intercepts. 400pph/side is a good non-precision approach descent power setting (returning to whatever was set prior to the descent when levelling off.) Dive and drive is king here. Attempting to fly a virtual glideslope via derived VDPs is discouraged. Too much thinking involved, too great a chance for errors.

Single-engine fuel flows? Just double what you had with two. If 750pph/side gave you 200KIAS, 1500pph (single engine) will give you pretty close to the same.

Speaking of those emergencies again. Got a great piece of advice from a grizzled old aviator - "the only real memory item you need to worry about on those checklists is 'EMERGENCY O2 MASK - DON'." He has an excellent point; smoke in the cockpit, or depressurization is probably the only time you need to race to get something done, and that something is to get your mask on post-haste. Everything else can be dealt with in turn.

One of the maneuvers which must be accomplished per the PTS is an approach with a circle to land. We're flying an NDB approach (groan) with a circle to land just beneath an overcast and just above our MDA. If you disappear into the clouds, back 'round you go, and of course, per the AIM you must miss starting with an initial turn towards the landing runway. This results in a big 360 back onto the published missed approach. It's something you really want to avoid, because the chances for checkride-busting errors are everywhere.

Anyway, this is far more challenging than it would be in a real airplane, because your view at 90 degree angles in the sim is limited and you can't see the airport for much of the circling maneuver. As a result, part of the circle is really a "dead reckon" maneuver. We cheat and use the RMI to tell us when we're abeam an on-field VOR, and can turn in. Additionally, this must be hand-flown (Otto must stay off below 1000AGL unless he's coupled) and it's a heckuvalotta work to stabilize that sim and hold altitude while looking outside for the lead-in lights. This being a Level C simulator, the FAA must individually approve each approach used to meet the PTS requirement for the circle-to-land. So we know this is how it'll go on our checkride (a bonus.)

My sim partner and I have each crashed the sim twice. The first time was a great learning experience. Our instructor that day was stacking emergencies up on us; we were single-engine after dealing with an FCU failure on the #1 engine, flying a VOR/DME approach when #2 (our only good engine) caught on fire. As we were above 1500 feet I automatically called for the engine shutdown checklist before I realized how stupid that idea was, so we continued. We broke out at minimums to find nothing, and realized we hadn't activated the runway lights. I flew a very low downwind while we worked that out, lost sight of the runway as it slid past the edge of the side monitor, and tried to guess the right amount of time to turn inbound. I guessed wrong and was much too high and fast to make it in safely, but elected to continue since we had an engine fire on our only operative engine. Got a big sink rate going and couldn't negate it at the flare. I crunched it in at 2.8G. OUCH!

Attached is a picture of my sim partner Eddie on the right. The low-quality is due to the lack of light in the sim (plus, my cell phone isn't equipped with a flash.) The other photo features one of the Simuflite instructors in the H125-700 briefing room.

I'll try to sum all this stuff up when I get the sam hell outta here. I am ready to go home in a big way. 17 days is wayyy too long to be away from my family.

Best regards to all,

-Ryan

Ryan Ferguson said:
I feel like I live here. Honestly.-Ryan
Ahh. Grasshopper drink from fire hose.... BTDT USN style. Firehose is Firehose... :)

Wow, Ryan. Nice write up too. Two questions:

1) Is there a mask in the sim to actually don?

2) Knowing what you know now, would you delete the VDP if you were back in the piston world?

Best wishes on the checkride.

Richard said:
Wow, Ryan. Nice write up too. Two questions:

1) Is there a mask in the sim to actually don?

2) Knowing what you know now, would you delete the VDP if you were back in the piston world?

Best wishes on the checkride.

Thanks Richard!

1) Yes.

2) The VDP is useful, but I dive 'n drive with pistons too, rather than attempt to calculate a constant rate of descent which places the airplane at the MAP and MDA at the same time.

We do have FMS in the sim (Universal UNS-1) but there is no coupled VNAV capability.

Take care,

Ryan

Ryan,
2 Questions

0) What rating are your working on ?
1) Is this for business or pleasure ? :)

Best of luck on the checkride. Great write up !

jdwatson said:
Ryan,
2 Questions

0) What rating are your working on ?
1) Is this for business or pleasure ? :)

Best of luck on the checkride. Great write up !

Howdy, Jeffrey.

0) HS-125 type rating.
1) Business. It's fun, though, in a perverse sort of way. My day job is flying a Hawker 700 and a Merlin IIIB. I also occasionally fly a Falcon 10, and King Air C90.

Today was our last day of "freebies" in the sim. We finished up with our "hot weather" day - 108 degrees F, a loaded airplane, and high DAs. Single engine climb performance is horrendous and there's no leeway for error to fly above V2 (normally keeping V2+10 provides a nice rate of climb on "average conditions" days.) I must say, as a crew Eddie and I have really come together. Rejected takeoffs are a two-man affair as the PF must operate the tiller below 80 knots while the PNF holds the "tops" (yoke). Also, to deploy lift dump (which lowers the flaps to 75 degrees) requires the flap handle to be in the 45 degree position. This means the PNF is busier than the PF on normal and rejected takeoffs as APR, T/R stow, gear, and flaps are all his responsibility. The only way to safely reject a takeoff is for the two-man crew to work together.

Lift dump is amazingly effective. Those Brits can really build a hell of an airplane. The lift dump provides more drag than deployed T/Rs right after touchdown. In fact, by the time the T/Rs have been unlocked and are ready to deploy you're usually decelerating through 90 knots and can only blast them in reverse for a few seconds before you come up on the 60 knot max T/R reverse thrust limitation. On wet or icy runways, however, the T/Rs are really nice to have.

Since every sim training event is designed to be the worst case scenario, it only makes sense that we'd have to deal with wind shear on our "hot and heavy" day so that our performance would be minimal. My first wind shear event occured just after my second takeoff. The procedure is simple: pitch up until you get to stick shaker, bring both thrust levers forward, and call for APR override (which gives an add'l 180 lbs. of thrust per side) from the FO. Leave it there and hope you can power your way out. Seems to me the scenario is designed so that it'll only work if you do things pretty close to perfectly. I hope I never experience this in the real airplane, but if I do, I have a gut feeling that the sim's wind shear model is pretty accurate.

Of course, it's only logical that right after powering out of the wind shear you'll lose an engine. Oh, and the weather's crap now, too. Fly direct to such-and-such fix and hold, and while you're in the hold, shut down and either relight or secure the engine. All pretty straightforward stuff, with an emphasis on precise attitude flying to get the necessary performance.

Eddie and I felt pretty good after wrapping this up (our practice checkride is tomorrow) and Mike, our instructor, asked if there was anything else we'd like to try. I spoke up and asked for a rudder-bias inop V1 cut, as I'd heard the airplane was difficult if not impossible to control without the pneumatic rudder assist. Now, granted, I knew it was coming, but I was able to keep the airplane reasonably straight with a huge gob of right rudder. I had more strength to give in my leg, but not much. It was a heck of an effort to fly the airplane out holding that rudder in. I'm glad this system is so reliable, because I don't ever want to be without it.

We were done with our session and had about 15 minutes of "play" time available to us. This is time we can use for whatever we like, usually things that are not involved in the normal course of training. We are given the green light to experiment without fear of retribution (i.e. comments in the training file.) Mike said, "Here's a humdinger," loaded us up at JFK, and cleared us for takeoff. Humdinger was an understatement. In the first segment climb, the airplane yawed violently left and then began a rapid rate of roll. In less than three seconds it was over - we were upside down on the departure runway. "Hanging" in our straps, I looked at the panel to figure out what went wrong - both engines were indicating takeoff power at impact, and the MWS (master warning system) was blank and silent. After scanning for a good five seconds, I found it: a small green "reverser" light illuminated just above the pedestal. Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment. Nasty!

The recovery method for this emergency is something piston twin drivers are familiar with: the first step is to close both throttles to reduce the asymmetry. If you have time, scan the panel; if one of the T/Rs shows deployed, bring up the opposite power lever, and simultaneously pound the "Reverser inop" button (which is not intuitively labeled, do you think?) which reroutes bleed air to the pneumatic latches to restow the T/R. Now you're on one engine, hopefully the T/R will stow, and you can bring back the power. The whole sequence is lightning fast. I felt grateful that Mike had shown me this abnormal, as our Hawker back in Florida is equipped with T/Rs (many are not.) I had a chance to practice this a couple of times, which hopefully ingrained it into memory successfully. For sure, that is one of the nastiest failures you can experience in a Hawker. After the initial failure you have about one second to determine whether the yaw is going to stabilize or get worse. In any normal engine failure scenario, the yaw shouldn't be too excessive provided you're at or near V2. If the roll starts to couple with the yaw, you've just got to be ready to slam those levers back and take what you've got in front of you, or if you've the presence of mind, to emergency stow that T/R. I'm glad this isn't on the checkride. Frankly, the odds are stacked heavily against the pilot if this were to happen on takeoff in the real world.

More failures are stacking up on top of each other, which they can tend to do in certain cases. For example, we had a rapid decompression today at FL350; don the masks, close the main air valves, open the flight deck heat valve (aux bleed), pound the cabin notices switch, and begin an emergency descent - throttles to flight idle, roll 30-45 degrees, pitch for Vmo/Mmo, and start dragging that airbrake on as you get close to the barber pole. This is one of the few emergencies that requires a crew response consisting of almost purely memory items. In the process, we lose hydraulic pressure (all of it - meaning we have to use emergency brakes, which are not anti-skid, too) and have to pump down the gear and flaps. Once you pump down the gear, you can't get it up again, so you really don't want to have to fly a missed. Since the airplane seems healthy, we elect to fly a little further to an airport reporting 600 foot ceilings to reduce the chances of a miss.

The rest of the day was the usual single engine ILS', NDBs/circle-to-land, approaches to stalls, and steep turns. The checkride won't be nearly so involved as the above - it's just your plain-jane vanilla ATP ride, per the PTS.

More tomorrow.

-Ryan

Ryan Ferguson said:
Since every sim training event is designed to be the worst case scenario, it only makes sense that we'd have to deal with wind shear on our "hot and heavy" day so that our performance would be minimal. My first wind shear event occured just after my second takeoff. The procedure is simple: pitch up until you get to stick shaker, bring both thrust levers forward, and call for APR override (which gives an add'l 180 lbs. of thrust per side) from the FO. Leave it there and hope you can power your way out. Seems to me the scenario is designed so that it'll only work if you do things pretty close to perfectly. I hope I never experience this in the real airplane, but if I do, I have a gut feeling that the sim's wind shear model is pretty accurate.

I've read that many airline pilots didn't "survive" their first attempt at the simulated windshear scenario when that training was started, sounds like you did well.

Of course, it's only logical that right after powering out of the wind shear you'll lose an engine. Oh, and the weather's crap now, too. Fly direct to such-and-such fix and hold, and while you're in the hold, shut down and either relight or secure the engine. All pretty straightforward stuff, with an emphasis on precise attitude flying to get the necessary performance.

Eddie and I felt pretty good after wrapping this up (our practice checkride is tomorrow) and Mike, our instructor, asked if there was anything else we'd like to try. I spoke up and asked for a rudder-bias inop V1 cut, as I'd heard the airplane was difficult if not impossible to control without the pneumatic rudder assist. Now, granted, I knew it was coming, but I was able to keep the airplane reasonably straight with a huge gob of right rudder. I had more strength to give in my leg, but not much. It was a heck of an effort to fly the airplane out holding that rudder in. I'm glad this system is so reliable, because I don't ever want to be without it.

I'm surprised that there's that much rudder force required with aft pylon mounted engines.

[/quote]We were done with our session and had about 15 minutes of "play" time available to us. This is time we can use for whatever we like, usually things that are not involved in the normal course of training. We are given the green light to experiment without fear of retribution (i.e. comments in the training file.) Mike said, "Here's a humdinger," loaded us up at JFK, and cleared us for takeoff. Humdinger was an understatement. In the first segment climb, the airplane yawed violently left and then began a rapid rate of roll. In less than three seconds it was over - we were upside down on the departure runway. "Hanging" in our straps, I looked at the panel to figure out what went wrong - both engines were indicating takeoff power at impact, and the MWS (master warning system) was blank and silent. After scanning for a good five seconds, I found it: a small green "reverser" light illuminated just above the pedestal. Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment. Nasty![/quote]

That does sound awful. You'd think they'd automate the backup, or at least give you a very obvious warning indication. Must be an extremely unlikely failure.

For example, we had a rapid decompression today at FL350; don the masks, close the main air valves, open the flight deck heat valve (aux bleed), pound the cabin notices switch, and begin an emergency descent - throttles to flight idle, roll 30-45 degrees, pitch for Vmo/Mmo, and start dragging that airbrake on as you get close to the barber pole.

I wonder why they have you wait for mmo before sticking out the brakes? Seems like you'd get down quicker if you added the drag right away.

I'm surprised that there's that much rudder force required with aft pylon mounted engines.

That kinda surprised me, too. Rudder bias is checked before every takeoff and is a no-go item, so most of the time single-engine flight is really quite tame.

That does sound awful. You'd think they'd automate the backup, or at least give you a very obvious warning indication. Must be an extremely unlikely failure.

Sure hope so.

I wonder why they have you wait for mmo before sticking out the brakes? Seems like you'd get down quicker if you added the drag right away.

As a matter of fact, that was a question I had for the instructors. The written procedure calls for Flight Idle, Airbrakes, then Pitch for Mmo/30-45 deg. bank. However, according to the instructors, it's better to pitch down for Mmo first, or else the deck angles get really extreme during the descent. (shrug)

Ryan Ferguson said:
As a matter of fact, that was a question I had for the instructors. The written procedure calls for Flight Idle, Airbrakes, then Pitch for Mmo/30-45 deg. bank. However, according to the instructors, it's better to pitch down for Mmo first, or else the deck angles get really extreme during the descent. (shrug)

Hmmm. So the instructors have substituted a more passenger friendly procedure for the POH specified one. I hope that's approved by the FAA and/or Hawker. Such a change could mean quite a bit more time getting down.

Ryan:

If you break free, let me know. I'm at Addison.

Have a good friend instructing there; perhaps you'll run into him--Norwood Band. Forman nasal aviator, Branniff Captain that flew the SST. Lots of good stories, but you have to be a 'good listener'. (being redundant--I said he was a former Naval Aviator ;-).

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Thanks Dave. I'd love to meet up with ya sometime. Unfortunately tomorrow's my checkride and I'll be at SimuFlite until 1900. Maybe next time!

Best,

Ryan

P.S. I haven't met Norwood, but there are a number of Braniff guys here. Dick Peavey (Braniff guy, and also requires good listening skills to be around) was my sim instructor for a few sessions. Great guy.

lancefisher said:
Hmmm. So the instructors have substituted a more passenger friendly procedure for the POH specified one. I hope that's approved by the FAA and/or Hawker. Such a change could mean quite a bit more time getting down.

They all seem to think this sequence results in a faster descent rate, too. Not sure how they came up with that, but I haven't had time to really think about it yet. Checkride tomorrow.

Back