Simple cheap portable oxygen

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
The BasicMed course had this to say...

"Supplemental oxygen any time you fly above 10,000 msl and above 5,000 msl at night (vision at night is particularly sensitive to diminished oxygen) is relatively cheap protection against insidious oxygen starvation that can cause hypoxia"​

And I don't recall us discussing portable Oxygen systems in recent times.

What are some suggestions that would fit the needs of very occasional use (less than 5-7 times a year), low cost, and simple to use? Inclusion of Brands, models, accessories, sources, and prices in the discussion is encouraged.

Looking to add to knowledge bank if that system wasn't available to me for some reason.

Everything you need is on Amazon. Rent a cylinder from a welding shop for refills and you're in business.

The BasicMed course had this to say...

"Supplemental oxygen any time you fly above 10,000 msl and above 5,000 msl at night (vision at night is particularly sensitive to diminished oxygen) is relatively cheap protection against insidious oxygen starvation that can cause hypoxia"​

And I don't recall us discussing portable Oxygen systems in recent times.

What are some suggestions that would fit the needs of very occasional use (less than 5-7 times a year), low cost, and simple to use? Inclusion of Brands, models, accessories, sources, and prices in the discussion is encouraged.

Here's an old thread that might be worth a read:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/doc-bruce-diy-oxygen-system.3399/

Paging Forane, Forane to the white Courtesy Phone please.

I have the cheapest O2 possible.
I bought a used medical E cylinder (about 2' x 4") with a pressure reducer and flowmeter (2 gauges; one is tank psi 0-2000 and the other is L/min)
I bought a pair of nasal cannulae from Aircraft Spruce, a Y connector then another 3' section of tubing which fits in the pressure reducer output.
I have an H cylinder at work which I use to transfill. Pennies to fill.

I have the cheapest O2 possible.
I bought a used medical E cylinder (about 2' x 4") with a pressure reducer and flowmeter (2 gauges; one is tank psi 0-2000 and the other is L/min)
I bought a pair of nasal cannulae from Aircraft Spruce, a Y connector then another 3' section of tubing which fits in the pressure reducer output.
I have an H cylinder at work which I use to transfill. Pennies to fill.
Where the hell do you put a 4 foot long cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Where the hell do you put a 4 foot long cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I read it as 4 inch dia by 2 ft long.

Of course if it is 4 ft by 2 inch dia he may have it tucked in a ski tube in that Italian-Scandinavian hybrid wooden wonder of his.:D

Last edited:
We have an Aerox 4-place system. Not the absolute cheapest way to go for upfront costs, but the oxymizer canulas and 4-way O2 valve (to just run what you need to each seat) uses very little O2. I figure operating cost-wise is about $1 per hour per seat use. We have 3 E-size cylinders, one from Aerox, 2 are medical tanks someone gave me that I had converted to an aviation regulator fitting for about $25 per cylinder.

Now that "aviation regulators" have been mentioned... Can this be fitted to a SCUBA tank? I have a small AL30 "pony" tank that I used when I was doing diving that required a decompression stop or I just wanted the safety of the extra gas.

I've got a Nelson with the demand regulators. I've had it since about 2004. The bottle lasts a good long time between fills.

Based on the Doc Bruce thread linked above, I had made a list of what to buy and where for the system I want to put together:

From a welding or medical supply shop:
  • Super D (50 cubic foot) aluminum cylinder with CGA 540 fitting to carry in the plane
  • 8-foot hose with CGA 540 male on one end and CGA 540 female on other end so the tank can ride in the baggage compartment
  • Bigger steel tank with CGA 540 fitting to keep in the hangar for doing my own transfills
  • 4-foot hose with CGA 540 fittings on both ends and a bleed valve for transfills
From SkyOx:
  • Regulator ($319 for 4-outlet version)
  • Cannulas as needed ($58 each with hoses)
This seemed to me to be the best balance between cost and value. I haven't bought any of it yet, though. If my checkbook survives annual inspection, maybe I'll pull the trigger and go take a trip over some mountains. Or just fire it up at work for that mid-afternoon boost that coffee no longer provides.

Or fire it up at work for that mid-afternoon boost that coffee no longer provides
One coffee replacement that's working for me right now is "G Fuel" by Gamma Labs. Available on Amazon in lots of flavors. Been working like the Monster or Red Bull drinks do, but with no sugar or crashing. And waaaay less expensive.

There is no way this will be met by most because they are not carrying oxygen and do not have oxygen built-in, if not pressurized. In many ways this is like the ADS-B mandate on the old iron out there.

There's no "mandate". The FAA has been recommending oxygen use above 10K or 5K at night for a very long time. We were all amused in ground school at Jeffco when they recommended on the filmstrip that we fly below 5000' for the last 30 minutes of our night flight.

The mandate is, and will remain, 12,500 for up to 30 for the pilot, 14,000 any duration for the pilot, and available to the passengers at 15,000.

We were all amused in ground school at Jeffco when they recommended on the filmstrip that we fly below 5000' for the last 30 minutes of our night flight.
I recall coming across something this during my PPL home studying 8 years ago.

@citizen5000 --- Curious as to the source of your comment.

Back