Similar to, 101 Things To Do With Your Private Pilot's License?

OneSixDelta

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OneSixDelta
I came across "101 Things To Do With Your Private Pilot's License". Could you share any of your favorite similar books or articles that may be a good resource with a new pilot in mind?

I came across "101 Things To Do With Your Private Pilot's License". Could you share any of your favorite similar books or articles that may be a good resource with a new pilot in mind?

Who needs a book...... You have POA...:yes:;)

That book was terrible.

But if you want something like it, why not just use it?

My personal fave is mountain flying, but YMMV.

Honestly, I feel dumb asking something so basic as... I'm a pilot, now what!?!

I think I could get into camping and smaller overnight trips, I just don't know how to take advantage of the airports/services beyond fuel and grabbing a cup of coffee. Feels like I missed that day in training. :)

I think I could get into camping and smaller overnight trips, I just don't know how to take advantage of the airports/services beyond fuel and grabbing a cup of coffee. Feels like I missed that day in training. :)

What part of the country are you in ?

I'm always amazed at these topics.. My imagination is much larger than my wallet so I have lots of things I dream of doing.

Is this just a common plea for help once realization kicks in? :)

Glider Rating is definitely next on my list..

I do quite a bit of this. Life is an adventure. I own, so it is a bit easier, but the airport stuff is easy. If you aren't sure, just call the FBO at the airport you are heading and they can fill you in. There are a lot of web based resources, and this board is invaluable. Watch for flyins (mostly spring and summer) on this board and see if there is a flyin group near you on Meetup.com (we have the Mach Buffet Flying Group in CA).

Camping huh..:dunno:..

You will die for this place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I haven't read that book but every time I hear the name I'm thinking of 101 things that I can do with the card (not the privileges). So...you can show it to people, you can use it as a spoon, use it as a ruler, ect...

I loved flying coast to coast.

Fly to see you family, best friends, college alumni.....

Fly to your 10, 20, 30, 40 school reunion.

Also loved flying to Key West, its like landing on an island.

Also loved flying to Grand Cayman Islands.

Camping huh..:dunno:..

You will die for this place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Johnson Creek is about 1:45 from me in the Cub. Beautiful place but way too crowded and busy all summer. Most Idaho pilots avoid it as there are a LOT more great airstrips in the Backcountry. Johnson Creek is entertaining watching flatlanders attempt their first mountain landings.
As for another use for your pilots license. I liked it when we went to the plastic card as it works great for scraping frost off your car windshield.

Okay, no one's mentioned it yet so I will... Pilots 'n' Paws. Help some of our furry friends find a good home.

And... who cares if it's flat within 300nm? There are lots of beautiful places to fly to on a day trip. Head east to Mackinac... Niagara Falls (okay, that might be more than 300nm from MN)... Door County WI... Beaver Island... the list goes on.

Johnson Creek is about 1:45 from me in the Cub. Beautiful place but way too crowded and busy all summer. Most Idaho pilots avoid it as there are a LOT more great airstrips in the Backcountry. Johnson Creek is entertaining watching flatlanders attempt their first mountain landings.
As for another use for your pilots license. I liked it when we went to the plastic card as it works great for scraping frost off your car windshield.

Naw..... Just hit it during the week, like Tues , Weds. Thurs.....

It does get overcrowded during the BCP, Supercub and 180 fly in's though... Those dates are easily scheduled around ..

Last edited:
Hah, there you go, way #57 to use your pilot's license!

Last edited:
www.funplacestofly.com will open up a whole world to you. You plug in where you're starting and how far you'd like to fly and it'll tell you what is around. Places you may never know. I'm hoping to just hit up Bellefontaine, Ohio and check out their Multi engine aircrafts. But that's just me. I like having a destination. Get out your sectional draw a 51nm line and see what's there. Get your XC time in.

Some of my best where-to-fly tips came from talking to other pilots near and around my field. You see another pilot fueling up and you stop and say, "Howdy there, I'm wondering if you can tell me an interesting place to fly within 300nm of here--can you tell me about a interesting place you've flown to?"

When I first got my Comanche Kansas governor sponsored the Kansas air tour. We flew in to every paved airport in the state over 7 days. It was great. Each little town had a parade meet us at the airport at our arrival time, they bought us breakfast, lunch and dinner, gave us gift mementos of their town. We hit about 6-8 airports per day. The best fun was how excited the towns people were to see us. It was like an old barnstormer event. I can't help but feel I helped sow some seeds of future aviators on that trip.

That was good for me as I needed practice using the gear up down button, get comfortable with the faster speed, arriving at the airport at the proper speed and altitude which is tricky in a slick plane when you are used to a Cherokee.

That was good for me as I needed practice using the gear up down button, get comfortable with the faster speed, arriving at the airport at the proper speed and altitude which is tricky in a slick plane when you are used to a Cherokee.

Yeah, starting a descent from 40 miles out was a new one for me too. I set my GNS430 to let me know when I needed to start down for a 700fpm descent to hit 1000AGL 2 miles before the airport, and I was over JXN when it flashed at me.

700' makes better sense that 500'. I guess I was trying to safe fuel. But it was difficult to manage.

I'm in southern MN.

Fly someplace warm.

Start by finding every airport with a diner within 100 miles of your home airport and go to all of them for breakfast. Then 200 miles, then 300 miles.
You might get fat, but you will learn a lot about flying, and people who fly.

Glenn

Fly someplace warm.

Start by finding every airport with a diner within 100 miles of your home airport and go to all of them for breakfast. Then 200 miles, then 300 miles.
You might get fat, but you will learn a lot about flying, and people who fly.

Glenn

I've only found a couple so far but I like that idea, I'm a morning person and flying for food sounds like a great first plan. I'm just laughing in my head about a bunch of crumpled up old W&B calcs as I gain weight...

I appreciate all the replies.

LOL my new site says the same - so you're a pilot, now what?

Here:

http://www.iflylikeagirl.com/miss-adventures/

Just realized I never finished going into details on all the things I listed there.

Also thought of some others:

- get checked out in / fly many new planes (glider, tail dragger)

- do one time flights (sea planes, aerobatics)

- find new aviation museums or simulators

Kimberly

I do quite a bit of this. Life is an adventure. I own, so it is a bit easier, but the airport stuff is easy. If you aren't sure, just call the FBO at the airport you are heading and they can fill you in. There are a lot of web based resources, and this board is invaluable. Watch for flyins (mostly spring and summer) on this board and see if there is a flyin group near you on Meetup.com (we have the Mach Buffet Flying Group in CA).

Yes I forgot about meetup. I'm a co organizer for the CA one but I've found there are many unknown pilot groups such as the Sunday flyers who operate only by word of mouth and mass email list the day before. If you go to your local airports when they have bigish events such as display days or once a year airport open houses, all of the pilots are normally there and can give you insider information. Once you have been a pilot for a few years and you start going to the breakfasts and events you will be in the loop in regards to the fun stuff.

Back