Similar options to DC H10-13.4 headsets for a new pilot?

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
I am a student pilot who just soloed, now I want to get a decent headset in anticipation for my cross countries.

From what I understand the David Clark H10-13.4 headset is the standard headset in aviation. I have heard that DC's can feel like a vice on your head though, something I have already experienced with my schools loaner sets (not DC's) on relatively short flights.

Anyway, my question is...what do I have for options in a similar price range? I want to be comfortable.

Thanks.

Many of the local and online shops will let you return headsets after X days (often 30). Try a few of them and see which are the most comfortable. Everybody's head is different.

Many of the local and online shops will let you return headsets after X days (often 30). Try a few of them and see which are the most comfortable. Everybody's head is different.

Good tip! Ill have to see if Sportys does this.

I generally have good results with the Flight Com Headsets. They are not a durable as the David Clarks but should last you a few years.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

As long as im placing an order, can anyone think of any other supplies a student pilot might need at this stage? A knee board? A flight computer?

I am a student pilot who just soloed, now I want to get a decent headset in anticipation for my cross countries.

From what I understand the David Clark H10-13.4 headset is the standard headset in aviation. I have heard that DC's can feel like a vice on your head though, something I have already experienced with my schools loaner sets (not DC's) on relatively short flights.

Anyway, my question is...what do I have for options in a similar price range? I want to be comfortable.

Thanks.

IDK about DC as I was using Telex Echelon 150 but recently switched to Sennheiser HMEC 300 but what I wanted to mention is that when I originally researched the Sennheiser, I saw that the 300 had the same reputation. One poster said he just bent the headband and problem solved. Obviously not good for loaners but if you own...

Also, a number of FBO's, schools, and pilot shops that sell headsets can let you try before you buy. Banyan at KFXE is great for that:

http://www.banyanair.com/pilotshop.asp

Last edited:
As long as im placing an order, can anyone think of any other supplies a student pilot might need at this stage? A knee board? A flight computer?

I am not sure what you have. But below is a list of MY things as a student, and few changes as a pilot.

- FAR/AIM 2012 (no longer carried after checkride)
- Private PTS (no longer carried)
- Oral Test Guide (no longer carried)
- ASA flight computer
- Metal E6B
- Sectional plotter
- Local sectional
- AFD
- Sporty's kneeboard
- kneeboard sized notepad with tear-away sheets
- Logbook
- 2 pens and 2 pencils
- Headset (bought in 2003 on eBay, DC-78 or something). Apparently it's 20 years old and still alive and kicking
- Flashlight
- 8x batteries (for flashlight, and ASA CX1)
- iPad w. Bluetooth GPS

I think that's it. It's in no way a complete guide on "what to get" for a student, your CFI may have a better suggestion. And some things are completely unnecessary (like iPad)

I have four of the David Clark H10-13.4s. I've always thought it was a fine headset, but it doesn't compare to any of the noise-cancelling headsets if you can afford one of those.

- jkw

Congrats on your solo!! I just did mine Tuesday morning.

I was very leery of DCs, because I had read people commenting that they can be tight. I have a huge oversized melon of a head and cannot stand overly tight headsets, helmets, sunglasses, etc. But, I found a good deal on a very slightly used (read, like brand new) H10-13S, the stereo version of the H10-13.4. I figured if I didn't like them I could sell them for at least what I paid.

I've used them since late Feb. or early March, and have no complaints at all. Mine have gel ear seals and feel fine, not too tight. My longest flight so far has been around 2 hours, which would be long enough for me to know if they were going to be a problem.

My old flight school had a loaner pair of DC H10-20s. All plastic, they were super comfortable and seemed sturdy enough, but I wasn't sure I wanted to take the chance on them. Then I found the deal on the ones I got. I'd say either set would be fine.

As for other stuff -- I like and use my kneeboard, and I can highly recommend the GATS jar fuel tester. Very nice to be able to take a big fuel sample and dump it back into the tank without any sediment and water. I also got the logbook cover/folder thing from Sporty's. It carries my logbook, medical, has a pocket for the PPL when I get it, plus I can tuck a couple of sectionals in there. It's got little stretchy Velcro straps so nothing falls out.

Congrats on your solo!! I just did mine Tuesday morning.

I was very leery of DCs, because I had read people commenting that they can be tight. I have a huge oversized melon of a head and cannot stand overly tight headsets, helmets, sunglasses, etc. But, I found a good deal on a very slightly used (read, like brand new) H10-13S, the stereo version of the H10-13.4. I figured if I didn't like them I could sell them for at least what I paid.

I've used them since late Feb. or early March, and have no complaints at all. Mine have gel ear seals and feel fine, not too tight. My longest flight so far has been around 2 hours, which would be long enough for me to know if they were going to be a problem.

My old flight school had a loaner pair of DC H10-20s. All plastic, they were super comfortable and seemed sturdy enough, but I wasn't sure I wanted to take the chance on them. Then I found the deal on the ones I got. I'd say either set would be fine.

As for other stuff -- I like and use my kneeboard, and I can highly recommend the GATS jar fuel tester. Very nice to be able to take a big fuel sample and dump it back into the tank without any sediment and water. I also got the logbook cover/folder thing from Sporty's. It carries my logbook, medical, has a pocket for the PPL when I get it, plus I can tuck a couple of sectionals in there. It's got little stretchy Velcro straps so nothing falls out.

Congrats to you as well! Thanks for the post...I was hoping to see another big headed pilot who was happy with the DC's.

The logbook cover thing you describe sounds great. I hope i can find what you are talking about.

I got my kneeboard for free by joining AOPA for a year for only $25 after my free trial.

I got my E6B for free from Kings when I ordered their Private Pilot Get it all kit.

Congrats to you as well! Thanks for the post...I was hoping to see another big headed pilot who was happy with the DC's.

The logbook cover thing you describe sounds great. I hope i can find what you are talking about.
Flight Log Case/Organizer (Small, Fabric) ID# 1771A

Kimberly, when I joined AOPA I got a gift card from Sporty's... finally used the last of it to buy that logbook organizer. I think it made my membership effectively something like $10 or so for the year.

I used a pair of DC H10-40s with the gel ear things. Oh man. Super comfortable. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I'm considering getting a set of DCs.

If you've never tried a Clarity Aloft headset you're missing out. I'll never go back to David Clamps and am much more pleased with the CA than the Bose X.

When I was training I elected for the Telex 25XT. They have really thick foam ear seals (no gel but you can order them) and the clamping is not that bad. I just bought a set of used DC's. I only tried the for about 10 minutes but I noticed a big difference in the amount of engine noise. The DCs with the Gel was much quieter.

Find a pilot shop and try on a few different types. I think this is pretty much a matter of personal preference.

One thing is for sure. You have to get out of the rentals as soon as possible. Those things are just plane nasty.

This is probably one of those Ford vs Chevy type questions. There is personal preference as well as a little bit of bias involved.

I have never heard anyone mention that a DC H10-13.4 is a vice on your head. I have two of them, both I got off Ebay for less than $150 each and both of them had just come out of David Clark refurb. I love 'em! They're plenty comfortable, rugged, reliable and as a side benefit they are a David Clark product.

David Clark is an American company that believes in taking care of their customers. You can send any David Clark headset ever made to them and they will make it like new for a token fee.

When you have a good company, with a good product, with good customer service and a good reputation, it's pretty difficult to go wrong.

BTW, I wonder if people that claim they are too tight have ever bothered to adjust them?

Last edited:
When I was training I elected for the Telex 25XT. They have really thick foam ear seals (no gel but you can order them) and the clamping is not that bad. I just bought a set of used DC's. I only tried the for about 10 minutes but I noticed a big difference in the amount of engine noise. The DCs with the Gel was much quieter.

Find a pilot shop and try on a few different types. I think this is pretty much a matter of personal preference.

One thing is for sure. You have to get out of the rentals as soon as possible. Those things are just plane nasty.

This is probably especially important during cold season. Put a few individually wrapped wet wipes in your pocket so you can sanitize them before putting them on.

I have DC 10-40's from 1988. They were my dad's. Gel inserts are great. The $160 DIY ANR kit apparently works very well.

I also have these. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/7400

I bought them to use as a passenger headset. But I used them a lot when my 10-40's were out for repair. They work very well and I.. almost.. prefer them to the DC's. For $99 bucks you can't go wrong. I have worn them for 4 hours at a time. Exceeded my expectations by a long shot.

This is probably especially important during cold season. Put a few individually wrapped wet wipes in your pocket so you can sanitize them before putting them on.

I caught a wicked cold from using the rentals.

Plus, those rentals are super uncomfortable, and sometimes the mic is finicky.

Thanks for the input everyone, I decided to pull the trigger and spent my $50 sportys gift card today.

I bought:

David Clark H10-13.4 Headset
Forever Sectional Plotter by Sporty's
VFR Bi-Fold Kneeboard

and then I took a trip over to amazon and bought:

David Clark Headset Bag 40688G-08
ASA E6B Paper Flight Compute

Pretty stoked right now!

The 13.4 was my first headset, and I still have it. I use lightspeed ANRs most often now but I'll not give up my DC.

Thanks for the input everyone, I decided to pull the trigger and spent my $50 sportys gift card today.

I bought:

David Clark H10-13.4 Headset
Forever Sectional Plotter by Sporty's
VFR Bi-Fold Kneeboard

and then I took a trip over to amazon and bought:

David Clark Headset Bag 40688G-08
ASA E6B Paper Flight Compute

Pretty stoked right now!

Good aviation decision!

... I also got the logbook cover/folder thing from Sporty's. It carries my logbook, medical, has a pocket for the PPL when I get it, plus I can tuck a couple of sectionals in there. It's got little stretchy Velcro straps so nothing falls out.

I got this too, although I'm somewhat disappointed that the pocket for the medical (as shown on the product image on the website) is actually too small for an actual medical document. :rolleyes2:

Buy u the cheapest pair of sets u can find, trust me fancy flight bags and head sets ant gona help u one bit....what will though is having a love afare with learning.

And kids, stay in school. Command of the written language is essential in any field you may choose.

Not our local shop. They made me deal with the manufacturer two days after purchase. (Lightspeed).

The 13.4 was my first headset, and I still have it. I use lightspeed ANRs most often now but I'll not give up my DC.

Ditto. Seriously still considering putting ANR in the DCs and dumping the Lightspeed.

With careful shopping, I could probably come close to outfitting every seat in the aircraft with a solid pair of DCs with the ANR module added with the proceeds from the sale of the Lightspeed even after giving someone a hefty discount off of new.

I'm just too used to the old head-clamps I guess. Big time waffling still going on here. The Sierra's are comfortable but feel "wrong" to this long-time clamp wearer. I find myself way too conscious of them unless I'm busy. I also think after listening to LiveATC recordings that the DC mic element is far better tuned to communications quality than the more full-range element in the Lightspeeds.

I get a significant number of "say agains" with the Lightspeeds and never with the DCs. Probably a side-effect of my baritone which doesn't play well with full-range mic elements anywhere but in the studio/basement.

Sometimes tech just doesn't match you. Lightspeed makes a fine product, but I'm not convinced they work best for me after flying them for about half a year.

I am not sure what you have. But below is a list of MY things as a student, and few changes as a pilot.

- FAR/AIM 2012 (no longer carried after checkride)
- Private PTS (no longer carried)
- Oral Test Guide (no longer carried)
- ASA flight computer
- Metal E6B
- Sectional plotter
- Local sectional
- AFD
- Sporty's kneeboard
- kneeboard sized notepad with tear-away sheets
- Logbook
- 2 pens and 2 pencils
- Headset (bought in 2003 on eBay, DC-78 or something). Apparently it's 20 years old and still alive and kicking
- Flashlight
- 8x batteries (for flashlight, and ASA CX1)
- iPad w. Bluetooth GPS

I think that's it. It's in no way a complete guide on "what to get" for a student, your CFI may have a better suggestion. And some things are completely unnecessary (like iPad)

• Cardboard E6B, not metal. But if you're getting the ASA computer, no need for the E6B.
  • Go to your local big box office supply shop and buy a pack of the small yellow legal pads or similar - probably more than 50% cheaper than buying them at the pilot shop. While you're at it, you can get a small clipboard the same size (a bit larger) than those small legal pads. Then go to the local big box hardware store and buy a velcro strap that fits your leg. Now you have a kneeboard.
  • Private PTS is free from the FAA website. The oral test guide may also be on the FAA website, I don't remember.

I used a pair of DC H10-40s with the gel ear things. Oh man. Super comfortable. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I'm considering getting a set of DCs.
Oregon Aero sells gel ear seals for just about every headset except LightSpeed and Bose.

If you are willing to spend the money on a new H10-13.4, consider getting the H10-13XL with electronic noise cancellation instead. It is about an hour and a half of rental time more, but you wont want to go without ANR after you have experienced it. The DCs are also mechanically sound and well supported.
I bought one for my son, and now he has to fight me for it :D .

I thought I would just use my cx2 , but my instructor insisted I LEARN how to use the old school E6b. I found it to be a bit faster on certain calculations than inputting all the stuff into the electronic computer.

Do I still MF the manual E6B when ever I use it in training . Absolutely
Do I regret learning it .... Absolutely not
And you will definitely want the aluminum one as the cardboard one is kinda ehhhhh .

I second the Oregon Aero Softseal Ear Cushions. They are temperfoam with a thin synthetic leather covering. They are really comfortable over glasses and cut several db over the gel cups. Don

I thought I would just use my cx2 , but my instructor insisted I LEARN how to use the old school E6b. I found it to be a bit faster on certain calculations than inputting all the stuff into the electronic computer.

Do I still MF the manual E6B when ever I use it in training . Absolutely
Do I regret learning it .... Absolutely not
And you will definitely want the aluminum one as the cardboard one is kinda ehhhhh .

I bought the E6b, only because I thought the computers were way, way over priced for a 70's era calculator and the E6b is at least reasonably priced for a 60's era slide rule. That said, you will never use either one again, after your check ride. I have much better tools on my iPhone, iPad and computer. I think it is pretty silly that we are still teaching that stuff.

I bought a set of H10-13.4s used for $150 bucks. I suggest you go the used route instead of buying brand new. I used the DC's for over 150 hours but I now have a set of Zulu.2's which I paid about $780 for and I am pretty satisfied with the Zulu.2.

I bought a set of H10-13.4s used for $150 bucks. I suggest you go the used route instead of buying brand new. I used the DC's for over 150 hours but I now have a set of Zulu.2's which I paid about $780 for and I am pretty satisfied with the Zulu.2.

+1 on the Zulus, but maybe not your first pair. You will probably end up with at least two when your done anyways (for passengers).

I saw a guy sellling them on here for $199 used, and a guy on CL for $250 used, where did you get them for only 150 used?

They sell new at SkyGeek for 282 with a 5 year warranty so I wrote the CL guy an email asking if he'd consider $200.

Kimberly

I saw a guy sellling them on here for $199 used, and a guy on CL for $250 used, where did you get them for only 150 used?

I found them for sale on the bulletin board (the cork kind) at my friendly little airport that I first started training at, KCFE. The seller had recently lost his medical and was selling everything he had aviation related, including a Cessna 182.

I just bought a set of used H10-30s for a low price ($150). They come with a bag! Hahaha

I figured I might get a much better headset in the future. I was just tired of using a loaner.

They sell new at SkyGeek for 282 with a 5 year warranty so I wrote the CL guy an email asking if he'd consider $200.

Kimberly

Kim,

I bought two DC H10-13.4 headsets at different times off Ebay for right at $150 each. They both had just come out of DC service with a refurbish and both still had the service tags on them. You just have to keep an eye on Ebay every day or two until something comes up.

Good luck with it.

Back