"Similar Aircraft"

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
I'm looking at expanding my rent-a-plane options beyond ye olde Skyhawk/Cherokee.

I know that picking up the HP/complex endorsements is going to be a big factor, but what about "similar aircraft" clauses at FBOs?

Ex: I fly 25 hours in a 172RG and 5 hours in a straight-leg 182. If I then want to rent a 182RG from another operator, will this count as 25 similar hours? 5? 0?

I know what the local operators want (one is 5 hours same # of engines, prop and gear config; another is 100 hrs exact make-and-model), but I'm just wondering if there's generally an advantage to logging HP/complex hours vs just complex, given a price delta of $50/hr for the Cutlass vs the Skylane.

It depends. I've rented an Arrow where they required 25 hours of Arrow time. And I've rented a Saratoga that required 5 hours of Piper retractable-time (Arrow time was fine for that).
For the first Arrow, Saratoga time was not enough.

The requirements are usually driven by their insurance company. (Or multiple companies if they're using leaseback aircraft.)

Seems to vary from place to place. Best bet is to simply ask whoever is renting the particular plane. Even within my club there are different requirements for different planes of the same type. For example the Arrow I have been flying lately, and got my complex in only required a checkout, which was covered by getting the endorsement in it. Other Arrows in the club require 25hrs retract or 10 in type.

Depends mostly on the insurance that's carried on a particular aircraft. You have to check with the FBO/ club to know for sure.

You have to ask where you are looking to rent. Yes, your 25hrs retract counts as 25 hrs retract time, how much check out they will want in the 182 RG can vary between operators and can be dependent on your performance.

Back