Similar aircraft to a CASA 212

jmp2140

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jmp2140
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to see if anyone knows of a smallish cargo plane that I can fit a car in, think luxury SUV's. I've looked at things like the CASA 212 (which is just a smidgen to small) but I would also prefer not to go up to a used DC-8 or 737. I'm looking for bare basics here, with two pilots in the front, and the car literally right behind them, as I'd prefer it to fit in the existing hanger. So think something about King Air sized, that can fit a SUV roughly 200″ L x 80″ W x 85″ H. If any one can think of one let me know.

Thanks All

Trying to move stolen cars?

Ha I wish that would probably pay better. I looked at the Let 410 and it's cabin wouldn't be big enough. It's cabin is Length 16.4 ft Width 4.92 ft Height 5.31 ft and I need closer to like 17' x 7 x 7. It will have to fit things like a Mercedes G-class or a Jeep wrangler at the largest.

DHC-4 or C-119.

I've thought about the Shorts but I don't know what the parts situation is like for them plus most of the ones I've seen for sale are 20 or 30 thousand hours so they're gonna need parts. I know shorts stopped making them in the 80's and if parts are gonna be an arm and a leg that wont be great.

Alenia C27 Spartan. The Air Force has a bunch of them in dry storage, 'new in box'

Unfortunately the USAF is restricted from selling them.

I like the DHC 4 but same deal with parts

Ya if I could by air force goodies I'd be a lot poorer :D. Do you remember the Afghan C27's they scrapped for pennies on the dollar? I would have flown there in a second to get one or five for double what they scrapped them for.

Shorts or Caribou was what i thought. I dont think ive seen any "newer-ish" cargo planes that size.

Caribou is probably too narrow. I agree with Art, Casa 235. Been a few years since I rode in one, but had decent room with all the seats out.

C-123. Thought I'd continue naming classics that you'll never get parts for. :D

Going back and looking at the OP's dimensions, with that kind of height, it'll be tough for anything outside a C-123/130 with 85" in height. In the Chinook we wouldn't take any vehicle taller than about 76".

I like the idea of the casa 235 but It's amazes me how hard this is turning out to be lol, who wants to get together and start a company to build something that would work for this. Flymy47 I agree that it's a tough set. It's looking like to find anything that may even work I'll end up having to take the wheels off of stuff.

Do you need a ramp or do you have pallets and forklifts available at both ends?

I'd prefer a ramp so we can just drive the cars on and off but if a fork and pallet are what's needed I could figure it out.

what about a CH47 sling loading a container with your stuff in there? We have a couple Chinook rotor heads on hear that could drive it for you.

Are there CH47's on the civilian market?

what about a CH47 sling loading a container with your stuff in there? We have a couple Chinook rotor heads on hear that could drive it for you.

Are there CH47's on the civilian market?

There are 47s on the civ market but the OP could sling a vehicle with smaller helos at far less cost.

Of course he won't be able to transport it very fast or very far but he could drop it off in places a FW can't.

Last edited:
Ya but I also don't have a helo cert. Unfortunately the more I look the more I think it's probably not gonna work out which is a pity. But oh well. Thanks for the help everybody.

It would work but the goal was something small. The base of the idea was being able to undercut other companies prices by flying a smaller less expensive plane and being able to get into smaller airports. Others doing car transport use 737's and the like so I wanted to get something that was cheaper to run maintain and fly.

It would work but the goal was something small. The base of the idea was being able to undercut other companies prices by flying a smaller less expensive plane and being able to get into smaller airports. Others doing car transport use 737's and the like so I wanted to get something that was cheaper to run maintain and fly.

The reason there are no small freighters is because there is not enough money in the markets that require them.

I dont think you could undercut anyone just by using a smaller plane.

Along the lines of the Casa 235, there is of course the C160 Transall. Depending on range, your payload is somewhere between 8 and 15tons. Cargo compartment is 17.2 x 3.15 x 2.98 m that's 117inches for height. You could carry about 3 cars at a time. Comes with a ramp and can land on short and unimproved strips. It uses Rolls Royce Tyne engines so there shouldn't be an issue sourcing parts. Also, with them being phased out by germany and france, there should be an ample supply of other spares going into surplus. I dont believe there is a way to put one on the N-register for commercial use, you haven't mentioned an area of operation, but if it is the US, that type would be out.

Last edited:
It is US, and this was just the very beginning of trying to figure out numbers wise if it would work or not. Me and a couple other guys have just been kicking around the idea. We figured between the lower costs of Hangering, fuel, and overhead that we could come out ahead of what others charge. The other advantage of going smaller is most of the people we know (my buddy does car hauling with a trailer to car shows and races and what not) are only transporting one car. So ideally we would be in-between the prices to transport by road (lower) and by other air carriers (higher) while still allowing the customer to get the car faster than by road.

I like the idea of the casa 235 but It's amazes me how hard this is turning out to be lol, who wants to get together and start a company to build something that would work for this. Flymy47 I agree that it's a tough set. It's looking like to find anything that may even work I'll end up having to take the wheels off of stuff.

Just deflate the tires. Had to do that a few times to get stuff on board.

It is US, and this was just the very beginning of trying to figure out numbers wise if it would work or not. Me and a couple other guys have just been kicking around the idea. We figured between the lower costs of Hangering, fuel, and overhead that we could come out ahead of what others charge. The other advantage of going smaller is most of the people we know (my buddy does car hauling with a trailer to car shows and races and what not) are only transporting one car. So ideally we would be in-between the prices to transport by road (lower) and by other air carriers (higher) while still allowing the customer to get the car faster than by road.

I doubt that the folks who use air-freight to ship cars right now are terribly cost sensitive. The selling point of using a small freighter would be the speed and flexibility.

You do understand the paperwork involved in starting up an on-demand air freight operation ?

C-123. Thought I'd continue naming classics that you'll never get parts for. :D

You can get parts for the C-123. The government has dozens of them mothballed.
I always thought the "Provider" would make a great flying RV\Camper.
Trick out the interior with a bed and some shag carpet and you have the ultimate, bad boy love pit.

You can get parts for the C-123. The government has dozens of them mothballed.
I always thought the "Provider" would make a great flying RV\Camper.
Trick out the interior with a bed and some shag carpet and you have the ultimate, bad boy love pit.

Moth balled where? The 19 AMARG used to have were cut up.

Back