Silver State

straighten up and...

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
straighten up and...
Hello,
I am new to PofA and am not sure this is the correct forum for this discussion...and from previous discussions I have read on the topic, I'm not certain its resurrection may be welcome....however, I recall someone asking if anyone ever got there $ worth in the SSH certification program. Well, I am here to introduce myself as a recent SSH CFI attainee, albeit looking for work. That brings me to my query. Does anyone know someone who got their instructor rating with SSH, over the age of 50 who is now employed by them as a CFI? I ask because I am concerned about my ability to find work doing what it took me two years to learn how to do. I have applied to numerous job postings within the company to no avail. It has been 3 months since I passed my checkride and I am sure you can relate to the concern that I have that if the company that trained me will not hire me, who will? A 200 hour R-22 jockey I realize is not a hot commodity. Look forward to questions you may have or info relating to my question. Thanks

Not familair with Helo ops but have you considered going to smaller Helicopter flight schools?

Straighten up... Welcome to the board!

I Know there's a lot of instruction going on at KPDK so you might check with schools there. I don't know the names but I'm sure you can get some ideas from AOPA and go from there. Helo ops has gotten a lot of advertising lately for needed pilots. I've heard there's a pending shortage just as much as fixed-wing pilots for the airlines.

Good luck to ya.

Welcome to the board. I don't know whether your age has anything to do with it or not, but your story is a familiar one at Vertical Reference and other boards. As I recall, one of the beefs pilots have is that SSH is reported not to make good on their promises to hire the CFIs they turn out.

I would start shopping myself at other schools. It is pretty much true on the east coast anyway, that most schools use Robbies for instruction. I imagine it's true in your area as well.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

I checked further today while down at PDK. Prestige Helicopters are constantly looking for CFIs. Look them up and get in touch. They were the school advertising about helo pilot shortages. I recall a seasoned helo pilot on the board once saying that as well. I wish ya the best with it.

Classic Helicopters on BFI has a nice fleet of Robbies, you might want to try them.

a friend of mine is taking lessons in robinsons (robbies) in Ankeny, Iowa at this place: http://www.iowahelicopter.com/ he says that he is having trouble making any progress cause instructors come and go as soon as they can get a job in turbines (sound familiar??). may want to check them out.

Back