Silly, contrived scenario

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
You are a CFI.
You do not currently meet the requirements for night flight with passengers. (Less than 3 landings in the last 90 days)

Can you instruct a private student pilot, at night, if they are night current, and they remain sole manipulator of the controls?

You are a CFI.
You do not currently meet the requirements for night flight with passengers. (Less than 3 landings in the last 90 days)

Can you instruct a private student pilot, at night, if they are night current, and remain sole manipulator of the controls?

I'm not sure if you are posting this sincerely or just to stir the pot...

But as been discussed numerous times, a student is not considered a passenger. Neither the CFI nor the student need be night current to be legal.

I'm not sure if you are posting this sincerely or just to stir the pot...

But as been discussed numerous times, a student is not considered a passenger. Neither the CFI nor the student need be night current to be legal.
Can’t I sincerely stir the pot?

Last edited:
Honestly, I did forget that students aren’t passengers. It’s so freaking stupid, but most of the regs are.

Honestly, I did forget that students aren’t passengers. It’s so freaking stupid, but most of the regs are.

iu

You are a CFI.

Can you instruct a private student pilot, at night, if they are night current, and they remain sole manipulator of the controls?
upload_2023-5-11_8-44-50.png No

Edit: Bad coin...

images

Last edited:

No argument from me. Honestly when I became a CFI, it had been years since I flew at night. Just never had much need for it when the sun sets after 9:00 PM during the best flying weather here, and the weather usually sucks when it sets at 4:30 PM.

Anybody that thinks it makes sense that a student isn't a passenger, and that it makes sense that the currency rule doesn't apply if the passenger is a student is pretty naive.

Anybody that thinks it makes sense that a student isn't a passenger, and that it makes sense that the currency rule doesn't apply if the passenger is a student is pretty naive.

Yep, all these rules and regulations must have been instated after you got your certificate. How dare they!

Can’t I sincerely stir the pot?

There is something amiss
I am being insincere
In fact I don't mean any of this
Still my confession draws you near
To confuse the issue I refer
To familiar heroes from long ago
No matter how much Peter loved her
What made the Pan refuse to grow

Was the hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Yep, all these rules and regulations must have been instated after you got your certificate. How dare they!
I have no idea who you are responding too, but your post certainly makes no sense as a response to mine. It's a pretty solid straw man argument though. Or perhaps non-sequitur.

If the passenger is a student, the currency rule does apply.

But you used the word passenger also.
I used the word passenger because you put a passenger into the scenario. A Pilot receiving instruction is not a passenger, but a passenger is still a passenger regardless of certificates held.

I used the word passenger because you put a passenger into the scenario. A Pilot receiving instruction is not a passenger, but a passenger is still a passenger regardless of certificates held.
Restating to avoid the trigger word

Anybody that thinks it makes sense that a student isn't a passenger, and that it makes sense that the currency rule doesn't apply if the person who is not PIC and is at the mercy of the PIC, happens to be a student, is pretty naive.

Restating to avoid the trigger word

Anybody that thinks it makes sense that a student isn't a passenger, and that it makes sense that the currency rule doesn't apply if the person who is not PIC and is at the mercy of the PIC, happens to be a student, is pretty naive.
Anybody who thinks a student is necessarily at the mercy of an instructor either is or has had some really ****ty instructors.

Anybody who thinks a student is necessarily at the mercy of an instructor either is or has had some really ****ty instructors.
The FAA believes that an instructor should have 3 landings in 90 days in order to carry a passenger with them.
The FAA believes that same instructor does not need to have any recent landings in order to carry a student with them.

This is stupid. If you disagree, you are being obtuse or naive.

A student is no less at the mercy of an instructor than a passenger is.

The FAA believes that an instructor should have 3 landings in 90 days in order to carry a passenger with them.
The FAA believes that same instructor does not need to have any recent landings in order to carry a student with them.

This is stupid. If you disagree, you are being obtuse or naive.
I just don’t happen to believe that currency and safety are synonymous.

I just don’t happen to believe that currency and safety are synonymous.
I agree with that. But then that just means you think it's the first statement in my last post that's silly rather than the second one.

I agree with that. But then that just means you think it's the first statement in my last post that's silly rather than the second one.
No, because the reg has more to do with the person who’s not the instructor than the instructor.

An issue I have with the night currency regulation is that it is a “one size fits all” designed for the lowest common denominator. As a working pilot, I take checkrides every six months and can have a dozen night landings in the jet, but have to go up and do three laps around the pattern in the Pilatus to keep the FAA happy because the reg is written for the 100 hour private pilot.

An issue I have with the night currency regulation is that it is a “one size fits all” designed for the lowest common denominator. As a working pilot, I take checkrides every six months and can have a dozen night landings in the jet, but have to go up and do three laps around the pattern in the Pilatus to keep the FAA happy because the reg is written for the 100 hour private pilot.
…and more than likely your night currency in the jet is good for 12 months.

…and more than likely your night currency in the jet is good for 12 months.

Exactly. If I’ve been to sim training in the past 12 months and have flown 15 hours in the previous 90 days, I don’t need any night time at all.

Passengers are more important than students?

I’m going to be like the dude from Memento and get all the FAR’s tattoo’d on me so I remember them each day.

I’m going to be like the dude from Memento and get all the FAR’s tattoo’d on me so I remember them each day.

Don't forget all the Legal Interpretations that sometimes bend or add to the FARs.

Back