Silly Airport Names

kellyo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kello
So bored.......

1) U75 - Jackass Aeropark - Hey, did someone just call the Unicom a jackass?

2) Q16 - Reserve - Ummm, I think Santa Paula could use a reserve.

3) TCS - Truth and Consequences Mun. - Whew, at least its not truth or dare

4) 3S4 - Illionois Valley - Nice name, but it's in Oregon?!?!

5) 6K5 - Sisters - <purrrrrrr>

6) 38U - Wayne Wonderland - Morman Disneyland

7) C72 - Cross Winds - What does an A in a triangle mean again?

8) S95 - Walla Walla - Hehe, nuff said.

9) W56 - Fly For Fun - Yes, you see, that way it's enjoyable.

10) FHR - Friday Harbor - Sorry, airport closed on Fridays.

11) 48U - Green River Intergalactic Spaceport - All little green dudes, must show up 2 hours early, have 2 forms of intergalactic ID, no advanced technology bomb jokes!!

12) 5U3 - Ennis - Say again, sounded like you said ...

13) 85U - Soldier Bar - In case you get thirsty.

14) E51 - Bagdad - Did anyone check here for WMDs?

That's all the ones I find funny from the Rockys and then west, not including Hawaii (too easy) and Alaska (can't pronounce these either). Enjoy!

Feel free to add more.

Kelly

T32 - Sudden Stop -- It's a 1500ft turf runway

How about funny airport identifiers...

I want to go to Toledo Suburban airport just so I can write DUH in my log book.

Missa said:
How about funny airport identifiers...

I want to go to Toledo Suburban airport just so I can write DUH in my log book.
My fav - just up the road from my old home town of Custer, SD (KCUT) is Rapid City ... KRAP!

gkainz said:
My fav - just up the road from my old home town of Custer, SD (KCUT) is Rapid City ... KRAP!

Don't forget SUX - Sioux City

kellyo said:

Yes... But even funnier is that Truth or Consequences, NM is the name of the city. It was changed from something else a few decades ago, I forget the story...

11) 48U - Green River Intergalactic Spaceport - All little green dudes, must show up 2 hours early, have 2 forms of intergalactic ID, no advanced technology bomb jokes!!

Heh... I actually drove past this one yesterday, and happened to be looking at a sectional at the time. Laughed my @$$ off - Especially because it's a grass strip.

I always get tickled when I fly past hymen intersection on the way to and from California from Dallas. I'm sure they're refering to the Greek god of marriage :rolleyes:

Dave

kellyo said:

Yes... But even funnier is that Truth or Consequences, NM is the name of the city. It was changed from something else a few decades ago, I forget the story...

Heh... I actually drove past this one yesterday, and happened to be looking at a sectional at the time. Laughed my @$$ off - Especially because it's a grass strip.

flyingcheesehead said:

I thought the town changed it's name to win some contest on the Truth or Consequences game show.

Gooooogle.

http://www.truthorconsequencesnm.net/ralph_edwards.htm
It was as a tribute to the radio show.

The TV show was hosted by Bob Barker before he took over the Price Is Right.

There was recently some other outfit offering a similar deal for a few $million for a name change that had to be permanent. It was only towns the size of New York City that could go for it. Not likely.

Trivia: Who was the original host of PIR and what is remarkable about him?

Last edited:
mikea said:

wikipedia said:
TPIR Series: 1956 Version
The original daytime version of The Price is Right ran from November 23, 1956 to September 6, 1963, on NBC, and from September 9, 1963, to September 3, 1965, on ABC. A weekly nighttime version ran concurrently from September 23, 1957, to September 3, 1963, on NBC, and from September 18, 1963, to September 11, 1964, on ABC. The show originated from New York City in a Broadway theater converted for television. Although no color kinescopes or videotapes are known to exist from either NBC or ABC, The Price is Right became the first regularly airing game show series to be aired in color in 1957.

Bill Cullen hosted both the daytime and nighttime versions of the show. For two seasons (1959-1960 and 1960-1961), the show was eighth in the Nielsen ratings, making it by far the most watched game show on television at the time. Cullen's easygoing personality was a key part of the show's success. The announcers of the show were Don Pardo and Jack Clark on NBC and Johnny Gilbert on ABC. The first theme song used was called the "Sixth Finger Tune" by Charles Strouse.

On the original version of The Price is Right, four contestants chosen from the studio audience bid on items or ensembles of items in an auction-style format. They could bid higher as long as they wanted or they could freeze their bids. When time ran out, the players who did not freeze had one more bid. Whoever's bid was nearest the actual retail price of the merchandise without going over won the merchandise. Depending on the item, a minimum bid increment restriction was implemented. Some rounds were one-bid rounds which were like today's Contestants' Row. The contestant who accumulated the most value in cash and prizes was the returning champion on the next show.

I don't know what is so remarkable about Bill Cullen.

greg

river_rat said:
I don't know what is so remarkable about Bill Cullen.

greg

I should update the Wiki.

He was a polio victim. I thought he wore leg braces. In most pictures of him he's sitting on a bar stool. I did see him walk a bit as a guest on other games shows.

Oh. Don't have to update it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cullen

Last edited:
Back to the original thread:

IAH - Houston Intercontinental. Ridiculous when it opened in '69 or '70, and ridiculous now. But hey, this is Texas.

mikea said:
I thought the town changed it's name to win some contest on the Truth or Consequences game show.

Gooooogle.

http://www.truthorconsequencesnm.net/ralph_edwards.htm
It was as a tribute to the radio show.

The TV show was hosted by Bob Barker before he took over the Price Is Right.

There was recently some other outfit offering a similar deal for a few $million for a name change that had to be permanent. It was only towns the size of New York City that could go for it. Not likely.

The name was changed from Hot Springs to Truth or Consequences. They have a big
fiesta every year in T or C. Well it used to be big, all the tv game show folks would show up. Ralph Edwards was there every year. Course now they are talking about changing it back to Hot Springs, lol. I personally think they should.

Don

DoubleD said:
IAH - Houston Intercontinental. Ridiculous when it opened in '69 or '70, and ridiculous now. But hey, this is Texas.
Not to be political or anything but now it's George Bush (the elder) Intercontinental. :dunno:

My recent favorite is F35 Possum Kingdom. Didn't land there, just spotted it when passing overhead. Then there's BFE, Brownfield, TX.

Dave Siciliano said:
I always get tickled when I fly past hymen intersection on the way to and from California from Dallas. I'm sure they're refering to the Greek god of marriage :rolleyes:

Dave

Not exactly airport related, but just around the corner from Troy (VLL) is Big Beaver Road...Cant miss it....it's exit 69 off of I-75 ;)

SJP said:
Not exactly airport related, but just around the corner from Troy (VLL) is Big Beaver Road...Cant miss it....it's exit 69 off of I-75 ;)

You Michiganders have a couple of good ones then... How about Climax, which is just off I-69 IIRC? "Get off I-69 to Climax..." Now there's some directions.

DoubleD said:

My sister lives in Houston and has a friend who calls it Bush Intergalactic. With a completely straight face, I might add.

flyingcheesehead said:
My sister lives in Houston and has a friend who calls it Bush Intergalactic. With a completely straight face, I might add.

Is she a blond?

Don Jones said:
Course now they are talking about changing it back to Hot Springs, lol.

They should change the name to "insert name here". then they can call it whatever the hell they want.

kellyo said:

I never knew about this one until I flew right over it this summer. I was SO tempted to land there, but it had been a long day, and I was concerned about the weather, so I went on to Rock Springs (about 20 miles farther east). Some day.....

Judy

judypilot said:
I never knew about this one until I flew right over it this summer. I was SO tempted to land there, but it had been a long day, and I was concerned about the weather, so I went on to Rock Springs (about 20 miles farther east). Some day.....

Judy

make sure you read the AFD before trying to land at some of the places I mentioned. One reported broken bottles and firework debris on the runway.

I am probably more religious about reading the A/FD than most of the pilots you know, so no fear.

Judy

Everskyward said:
Not to be political or anything but now it's George Bush (the elder) Intercontinental.
Heheheh... in another 15 years will they be renaming it the George Bush (the elder) Incontinental? Just wondering! :D

(hey, c'mon, it's just a JOKE y'all!!)

SJP said:

Steve, I recall that is near the hyman intersection...:D

etsisk said:
hey, c'mon, it's just a JOKE y'all!!
BAD! :hairraise:

But then this is the airport that has a 10-foot cow, dressed up like an astronaut, carrying the Texas flag, as it's mascot. :rolleyes:

SJP said:

An intersection near our house is the only place to turn coming to our house from the southeast. It is the intersection of Park Blvd and Avenue P. Hence, "turn north at Park and P".

Everskyward said:
Thank yew, thank yew verr' much...

(well, that's as close as I can get to Elvis using a keyboard, and how close do I want to get to Elvis, anyway?)

:D

Frank Browne said:
It was a real groaner though. :eek:

Thanks!! ;) Flattery, flattery, flattery. . . :D

You know, the main thing with puns is, ya don't have to like it - as long as you GET it!!

Back