signature aviation fbo questions.

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
I am seeking any info about signature that the board might have. I would really like info from current or former employees. Tell me what you know, like or dislike. P.M.s are welcome.

I hangared at signature in savannah for a while. Not the cheapest place to be based at. But you get ramp fees waived at other signature locations and a decent fuel discount.

GA pilots poo poo on them as catering to the jet crowd. I didn't find that to be true and my location was across the runway from the Gulfstream facility where new G650s are pushed out the door and serviced.

They have an exceptionally high level of service, that cost money and was more than I needed, but my experiences with them were pleasant. The line guys, the desk personnel and the management were top notch. I'd love to still be based there but it's just more than I need.

I have the managers phone number if you need that level of information.

N35 thanks for the input. I currently work at a fbo that may very well be acquired by Sig. We really like things the way they are and fear the big corp coming in and switching it up. FBO isn't the dream job but I actually like coming to work. If people start getting grouchy about change then it might lose some of it's appeal IMO.

My IA's daughter fell off a golf cart at KCMA and was transferred to a Santa Ana hospital. I flew him on Friday mornings and picked him up on Sunday nights so he could keep his business open and still be with his daughter. I told Signature at John Wayne Airport what was going on and could not take fuel when leaving on Sundays due to weight restrictions. When the manager found out he waived all fees for us during that 4 week process. I was surprised that he did this and try to use them when I can.

I was a ramp controller for signature. I also did ramp work (fueling, de-icing, baggage handling for Cubs/Bulls, GA work) at the ORD base. This was back in 1999-2002.

PM me with questions.

Mary and I flew into Corpus Christi International two weeks ago, when the NOAA Hurricane Hunter P-3 Orion was giving tours on the Signature ramp.

This was our first flight into KCRP. We have lived less than 15 minutes away, by air, for four years, but there had never been a reason to go there until the hurricane hunters showed up. The line guy parked us out front, and we strolled 100 yards over to the big ol' P-3, which was pretty darned cool. Those guys fly toward weather that the rest of us actively avoid, yet seem relatively sane.

After our tour, we went inside to use the bathroom before our 15 minute flight home. We were told that there was a $40 handling fee for our 65 minute visit.

When I asked why, the girl had no idea. When I asked if there was any way to waive the fee, she was unsure, but called someone who said that I would need to buy 15 gallons of fuel -- at $7/gallon -- for them to waive the fee.

Since I had flown all of 15 minutes to get there, with full tanks, that was out of the question. So, we paid the $40, and understood why NO ONE flies into Signature in Corpus Christi, Texas.

An aside: There is an on-field restaurant at KCRP that we wanted to visit. We were told that this was impossible, even though it was a short walk away, because it was on the "other side" of the TSA line, and without an airline ticket we couldn't get past "security", which meant we could not be admitted to the restaurant. Crazy.

BTW: We've flown into Signature FBOs all over the country, and they are usually very, very nice, with spiffs like fresh baked cookies, etc. The one at KCRP has none of that. In fact, it's sort of a pit, with stained drop ceilings, and absolutely no spiffs of any kind.

Needless to say, it's obvious that they do NOT want GA traffic, and we won't be back.

Last edited:
I am one that normally avoids Signature FBO's, mainly due to pricing, the service is usually between good and excellent, but the prices are generally above what I want to pay. BUT, since they tend to be at airports in large cities or destination airports, sometimes I don't have any choice, in those cases I always make sure I can buy fuel, which I do at every FBO that I use unless I just can't take it for weight reasons. I used to go to KDET a lot, Detroit City airport is slap in the middle of the ghetto, looks like a movie about inner city drug dealers could be filmed in the parking lot without any changes! :eek: This one the one exception to good service and a nice FBO, it was Signature with the same pricing as any first class FBO, but it was a mess, building was 50+ years old, last painted when Nixon was in congress!:nono: Anyway, they moved it to the airline terminal and it is a little better, still not worth the extra $$, but they are the only game in town at DET. :dunno:

Did you have to buy new wheels to leave KDET? :D Yeah; I know it's a scuzhole.

Did you have to buy new wheels to leave KDET? :D Yeah; I know it's a scuzhole.

LOL, actually I have had more than 40 overnights there without any problems! I don't think the local thugs know what to do with airplane parts, but I wouldn't want to leave a decent car in the parking lot overnight!! :eek:

The airport where I keep my plane has Signature. No problems, helpful, fast (fuel within 10 minutes of calling for it, usually). Nice people. A little expensive for the fuel, but still cheaper than flying to go get it, so...

I only have experience with two other Signature FBOs and both were similar. I never got the feeling I was a second class citizen because I wasn't in a jet. In fact, at one airport I avoided signature when I flew in and went to the the FBO the airnav comments said was more small plane friendly. They were friendly, but their fuel truck broke when I needed gas. So I taxied over to Signature expecting the worst. They were great.

That's two class C airports and one class D. Might be different at larger airports.

I always enjoy the level of service I get at Signature. And it seems to me that the employees are always happy at their job and seem proud of their FBO. And when we take friends with us they are always impressed by the Signature FBO. But then again I like the Millionaire FBOs too. Maybe I need to learn to be more of a cheapskate.

Mary and I flew into Corpus Christi International two weeks ago, when the NOAA Hurricane Hunter P-3 Orion was giving tours on the Signature ramp.

This was our first flight into KCRP. We have lived less than 15 minutes away, by air, for four years, but there had never been a reason to go there until the hurricane hunters showed up. The line guy parked us out front, and we strolled 100 yards over to the big ol' P-3, which was pretty darned cool. Those guys fly toward weather that the rest of us actively avoid, yet seem relatively sane.

After our tour, we went inside to use the bathroom before our 15 minute flight home. We were told that there was a $40 handling fee for our 65 minute visit.

When I asked why, the girl had no idea. When I asked if there was any way to waive the fee, she was unsure, but called someone who said that I would need to buy 15 gallons of fuel -- at $7/gallon -- for them to waive the fee.

Since I had flown all of 15 minutes to get there, with full tanks, that was out of the question. So, we paid the $40, and understood why NO ONE flies into Signature in Corpus Christi, Texas.

An aside: There is an on-field restaurant at KCRP that we wanted to visit. We were told that this was impossible, even though it was a short walk away, because it was on the "other side" of the TSA line, and without an airline ticket we couldn't get past "security", which meant we could not be admitted to the restaurant. Crazy.

BTW: We've flown into Signature FBOs all over the country, and they are usually very, very nice, with spiffs like fresh baked cookies, etc. The one at KCRP has none of that. In fact, it's sort of a pit, with stained drop ceilings, and absolutely no spiffs of any kind.

Needless to say, it's obvious that they do NOT want GA traffic, and we won't be back.
IMO Signature at CRP is a good example of why GA pilots typically avoid them. Main difference between Signature at CRP and other airports is that there they cater to the Navy training crowd (govt money) versus the jet crowd. On the other side of the field is Atlantic with better service at much cheaper prices. Most places you find a Signature, they almost always have higher fees and more expensive fuel than their competitors.

IMO Signature at CRP is a good example of why GA pilots typically avoid them. Main difference between Signature at CRP and other airports is that there they cater to the Navy training crowd (govt money) versus the jet crowd. On the other side of the field is Atlantic with better service at much cheaper prices. Most places you find a Signature, they almost always have higher fees and more expensive fuel than their competitors.

Yeah, we have since been told that GA pilots generally go to Atlantic when in Corpus. Sadly, that's not where the P3 was parked.

We've also been told that CRP Signature is uninterested in gaining our business due to the lucrative military support contract they have with the Navy. Dunno how true that is, but their $40 fee is quite the deterrent to us regular folk.

N35 thanks for the input. I currently work at a fbo that may very well be acquired by Sig. We really like things the way they are and fear the big corp coming in and switching it up. FBO isn't the dream job but I actually like coming to work. If people start getting grouchy about change then it might lose some of it's appeal IMO.

Didn't Landmark already acquire you??

NetJets no longer uses Signature at KSAT. I believe in the past they had some sort of contract to use them nationwide, but at least at KSAT, they go elsewhere.

NetJets no longer uses Signature at KSAT. I believe in the past they had some sort of contract to use them nationwide, but at least at KSAT, they go elsewhere.

They probably go to Landmark. I wonder how long it will be until NetJets opens up more of their own facilities.

You can avoid them but at many airports they have the monopoly for GA getting from the movement area to the street. Even if you're just dropping someone off, you pay the "lack of competition fee."

Signature actually abolished the ramp fees for a few months in the wake of a lot of bad press, but not unlike most of the airlines they just couldn't risk screwing a few more dollars out of customers.

The other FBO at IAD used to treat everybody nicely and reasonably. They found out that the guy who flew his Bonanza in there on Saturday might be an executive whose G III came through on Wednesday.

I don't have any experience with Signature, I've never been to one. I can say that Galaxy in St. Augustine treats everyone the same, C150 to C750. Rental car pulled up to the airplane for you, or cab ride called. I have always bought 15-20 gallons of gas though. I have not paid a tie down fee at Galaxy KSGJ either, but maybe it is a gas buying thing. I also like Atlantic at KJZI in Charleston, SC. They warn you to go to the self serve when leaving if you are in a small GA plane like my Debonair, but I just buy 15 gallons and have not paid a ramp or tie down for a 5 night stay. Both of these FBOs were more than happy to call a taxi and let my plane tie up ramp space for a couple of days, and frequently at that. This keeps me coming back.

I do have a bad FBO that I will avoid, and that is the one at Fernindina Beach Florida which is the closest airport to my retired parents. What a bunch of snobs, the line workers openly despise the GA that "grace" their ramp. I offered a fill up to wave the $40 tie down per night, and they were more than happy to fill her up and charge the ramp fee. No negotiations. They have the mentality that you are stuck because there is not an airport more convenient. They are right but are capitalizing on it in the wrong way. People go out of their way to avoid Ferindina because of the ****ty facility and extortionist staffing.

Didn't Landmark already acquire you??

You know the City won't allow you folks to be the only game in town. They want
Competition and another tenant to bully around. It was always the plan to sell our location after the landmark deal was signed. Atlantic and another outfit looked us over real
good as well.

Here's a question that's come to the forefront of my mind these days, since I do a lot of destination flying that's dependent on rental car access. How does one go about figuring out what part of the airport is free to park? Meaning, if the airport is public, what designates what ramp belongs to an FBO and they can charge to park on it and what part is free of charge to the public?

Isn't there supposed to be a public GA ramp at these public use airports or how does it work in terms of access to use and the right to levy fees or not (and by what authority)? I suppose if the airport is privately owned then there would be no such expectation. But if the airport is publicly owned, shouldn't there be a free ramp and access if one doesn't wish to patronize the FBO?

Here's a question that's come to the forefront of my mind these days, since I do a lot of destination flying that's dependent on rental car access. How does one go about figuring out what part of the airport is free to park? Meaning, if the airport is public, what designates what ramp belongs to an FBO and they can charge to park on it and what part is free of charge to the public?

Isn't there supposed to be a public GA ramp at these public use airports or how does it work in terms of access to use and the right to levy fees or not (and by what authority)? I suppose if the airport is privately owned then there would be no such expectation. But if the airport is publicly owned, shouldn't there be a free ramp and access if one doesn't wish to patronize the FBO?

I usually ask ground control to direct me to transient parking. They have always got me to a spot that was free for a day trip.

I usually ask ground control to direct me to transient parking. They have always got me to a spot that was free for a day trip.

Good call, I may have to try that out next time. I'd love to know before hand of course so as to better orient the logistics of my arrival. I'm just so tired of the 70 dollar fees to land and tie down for a weekend, sometimes even with fuel purchase.

You know the City won't allow you folks to be the only game in town. They want
Competition and another tenant to bully around. It was always the plan to sell our location after the landmark deal was signed. Atlantic and another outfit looked us over real good as well.

We'll see what the city says. We're in for a wild ride until the end of January or so.

What would a lack of competition really do? Make the Jet-A price $8? Big deal at this point.

We'll see what the city says. We're in for a wild ride until the end of January or so.

What would a lack of competition really do? Make the Jet-A price .$8? Big deal at this point.

The purchase agreement from Ross to LA always had a stipulation that said the SDL location was going to be sold. We were told of the sale to LA a day prior to the press release. We were also told not to expect to ever actually work for LA as they must sell this location. The last month or so we have had prospective buyers touring our facility. I hope to be flying something soon and not really around during the coming madness of handover followed by Pro and Stupid Bowls. WM Phx open and Barrett Jackson.

I used to work at Signature at KDSM. Overall it was not too bad but it would be a significantly smaller operation without the contracts to do all the commercial fueling. Corporate wise it is not too bad but be prepared to not get a whole lot of money for upkeep and renovation.

Back