Sign the Petition to Save the Most Important Towered Fields

Or you're just showing your age....

It appears to be gamers' slang.

That thing about spelling California with a "k" doesn't make you look witty. Petty is closer.
I'll take petty for 100, alex. I'd also spell illinois with a K if it would work.

what's a "gamer slang" ? is that like the strange thread with the guy writing novels about learning to fly his jet across the ocean using his ipad or whatever it is he's talking about ?

must be kalifornia english. I've never heard such an expression in america.

Huh, it could be a California thing, not really sure. It's been around for a little while though. First heard it maybe 15 or so years ago.

You're so Midwestern. Actually, I didn't know either. To me it sounded like something done by the FFA or 4-H. :wink2:

Hey Stan, I see you're from Waukesha. Is that town by any chance the home of Waukesha food grade pumping equipment?

Sorry for the thread derail.

what's a "gamer slang" ? is that like the strange thread with the guy writing novels about learning to fly his jet across the ocean using his ipad or whatever it is he's talking about ?

No, it has nothing to do with that. He's just delusional.

The folks who play online immersive games (like World of Warcraft) have their own subculture, including language.

Hey Stan, I see you're from Waukesha. Is that town by any chance the home of Waukesha food grade pumping equipment?

Sorry for the thread derail.

Are you talking about Waukesha Pumps? I think they were bought out by SPX a decade ago or so. Interestingly, they may have been in Waukesha at some point, but are in Delevan, WI now - not too far.

Are you in that business?

Are you talking about Waukesha Pumps? I think they were bought out by SPX a decade ago or so. Interestingly, they may have been in Waukesha at some point, but are in Delevan, WI now - not too far.

Are you in that business?

Huh, interesting. I'm not in the pump business, but the wine business. I use two of them to pump juice, wine and must. Some damn fine gear right there.

The folks who play online immersive games (like World of Warcraft) have their own subculture, including language.

The term "aggro" doesn't come from any kind of gaming. It comes from the California surf/skateboard culture from about 30 years ago. I used to be an avid skateboarder 30 years ago and we used it all the time then. It's now used lots by people in all of the alternative sports, like snowboarding, wakeboarding, BMX, etc.

It means aggressive. Typical examples of the use of the word- "He went all aggro on his last run.", or "That backside air was totally aggro!" There are no doubt people using the term in gaming, but it's not where it comes from at all. When people were first using the term, Galaga was the most sophisticated video game out, and yeah, I went all aggro on Galaga.:D

Hope this helps.

The term "aggro" doesn't come from any kind of gaming. It comes from the California surf/skateboard culture from about 30 years ago. I used to be an avid skateboarder 30 years ago and we used it all the time then. It's now used lots by people in all of the alternative sports, like snowboarding, wakeboarding, BMX, etc.

It means aggressive. Typical examples of the use of the word- "He went all aggro on his last run.", or "That backside air was totally aggro!" There are no doubt people using the term in gaming, but it's not where it comes from at all. When people were first using the term, Galaga was the most sophisticated video game out, and yeah, I went all aggro on Galaga.:D

Hope this helps.

He get's it. +1

Hope this helps.

So you are telling us that it comes from a different local subculture.

Certainly not a word found in common usage.

So you are telling us that it comes from a different local subculture.

Certainly not a word found in common usage.

Yes. I never said it was in widespread common usage. However, ask your kids, or grand kids if they've ever heard it and I bet they have.

Yes. I never said it was in widespread common usage.

This is what was claimed:

"Agro" is American English slang for "Upset, frustrated, or short for aggravated".

Merriam Webster lists it as a suffix related to agriculture ;). You have to go to urbandictionary to get a definition, and their definition indeed refers to massively-multiplayer online games (MMOGs) as a usage example.

It's gamer language. Never fails if someone blows up online.

However, ask your kids, or grand kids if they've ever heard it and I bet they have.
I'll ask, I bet you $5 (I am not Romney after all) that they haven't.

This is what was claimed:

Merriam Webster lists it as a suffix related to agriculture ;). You have to go to urbandictionary to get a definition, and their definition indeed refers to massively-multiplayer online games (MMOGs) as a usage example.

It's gamer language. Never fails if someone blows up online.

I'll ask, I bet you $5 (I am not Romney after all) that they haven't.

Hey everyone, I have the best and totally most mature idea about what to do right now: LET'S ARGUE ABOUT THE ORIGINS AND MEANING OF SLANG WORDS!!!!

By the way, it definitely pre-dates gamer culture. I would know, I'm from California and I know everything :D

Hey everyone, I have the best and totally most mature idea about what to do right now: LET'S ARGUE ABOUT THE ORIGINS AND MEANING OF SLANG WORDS!!!!

Sure, talking about maturity, how about we stop jumping on someones throat just because he expresses an opinion different from yours ?

Dude, you really need to get laid, you're all wound up and agro.

When it comes to steven, the word is not 'agro' but 'passive aggressive' :yes: .

I'm not sure why I read this whole train wreck of a thread, nor what I'm hoping to contribute to it by posting...but here it is anyway.

As a middle aged man, who grew up in California and is today an avid gamer including time with World of Warcraft, 'Agro' goes back to my teenage years predating World of Warcraft and the current gaming subculture by about 20 years.

I'm not sure why I read this whole train wreck of a thread, nor what I'm hoping to contribute to it by posting...but here it is anyway.

As a middle aged man, who grew up in California and is today an avid gamer including time with World of Warcraft, 'Agro' goes back to my teenage years predating World of Warcraft and the current gaming subculture by about 20 years.

You see, debating the origins of the word, or phrase, agro, has become more interesting than all the head butting about the tower closures. Kinda sad really.

You see, debating the origins of the word, or phrase, agro, has become more interesting than all the head butting about the tower closures. Kinda sad really.

The tower closing debate is actually more of a proxy debate about government spending...but that's for the spin zone so I'l just leave that there. :wink2:

Back