Sign-In Sheet

stealth71

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
stealth71
Hello. I'm new here, but I'm a supervisor at our FBO. I know a lot of FBO's use sign-in sheets at the front desk. We're considering making use of one that would ask for some basic information, such as pilot name, phone number, tail number, and if we can or cannot move the aircraft. I'd really appreciate some input from you, our customers.

1) First off, how do you feel about signing in? Do you think its a good idea, or is it an inconvenience?

2) In your experience, are all customers asked to sign in, or only those who are staying for an extended period/overnight. For example, if you're just stopping for fuel and leaving as soon as fueling is complete, were you still asked to sign in?

3) Is there anything specifically that you wished the sign-in sheet asked? I think asking if the plane can be moved is critical, but if there's anything else that you'd like to be asked, I'd like to know your thoughts.

If you have any other ideas about this, please feel free to put it on the table.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Chris

First post.....

Welcome to POA......

:cheers::cheers:

Ps.... To answer your question... There is a human working the front deck in Jackson so they will ask questions to the pilot... At smaller airports, I can't ever remember signing in....

I would think based on your username that you could easily get past any sign-in sheet!

but to answer your questions:

1) eh, a little annoying to sign in just for signing in's sake
2) most of the places I've signed in have been overnight stays and it's mostly to see if I require any services, like fuel, a hangar, etc....
3) not that I can think of. to move or not move is interesting.

I personally don't want to sign in. I assume that if I'm on your ramp and you need to move the plane, you will move it. If you don't have chocks, I will set the parking brake and tell you I set it and not to move it.

I have yet to go to an FBO that wants me to sign in. I don't see a purpose other than data mining.

I don't see an issue with signing in if the desk is unattended. May also eliminate costly miscommunications when it comes to moving aircraft.

I don't mind signing in, but have never been asked on the sign-in sheet if the aircraft can be moved. The telephone number comes in handy if you accidentally leave the brake set. :redface:

As far as a percentage goes, I would say around half the time they ask for a sign-in; more than half it we are overnight.

I like signing in because then the FBO has contact information for me if he needs it for some reason. I have many tens of thousands of dollars sitting on his ramp and want to know if there is a problem or an issue.

At very small, unattended, airports the sign-in sheet also helps the airport manager track the number of operations at the airport and, usually, where the airplane came from. This is valuable information for him when he argues for funding and support. So it is in our best interests as pilots to provide it.

Re "data mining" I don't believe that I've ever been spammed or otherwise contacted unnecessarily.

If I'm staying overnight (or more than just a fuel stop with lunch), I have no problem filling out a card with my info. However, that logbook that a lot of FBOs have sitting on their counter will be ignored every time unless it is pointed out to me and I'm asked to fill it out. If that's the case, I'll normally put bogus data in there so it looks like a real person filled it out, but it won't be my info.

Re "data mining" I don't believe that I've ever been spammed or otherwise contacted unnecessarily.
I get some promotional email (I wouldn't necessarily call it spam) from FBOs. But I give my work email in those instances so I don't care. But there is one FBO which pretty consistently sends thank-you notes, holiday cards, coupons for free golf shirts, etc. to my home mailing address. I couldn't figure out how they got it, unless they were very nosy and went to the FAA database. Then I figured out they had made a copy of my drivers license when I took the crew car. I really like that particular FBO but I'm not that fond of getting junk mail. I did claim my free golf shirt, though. :)

Welcome to the forum,I have never had a problem,with sign in sheets,it helps the FBO recognize the regular visitors and customers. A common question is ( are the brakes off ). I like to provide my cell number .

I don't really care, not that big of a deal or anything and I'd rather then have my info and not need it than have something happen and need my info and not have it.

I'd just ask if they are going to be putting me on any lists or marketing crap, as long as I'm not going to get spammed it's all good.

I don't mind signing in with some very basic info, even for a brief stop. Tail #, type, pilot name, home base identifier, telephone number.

For an overnight I would expect to fill out this info. For a short stop, maybe not, but I would not mind. I don't need to be asked, if there is an obvious sign-in sheet I will gladly oblige. I figure it helps rural airports with reporting the amount of traffic that comes in/out. The more traffic they get, the more the airport authority can make a case for the economic impact of the airport and I'm sure it helps them stay open and well funded. VFR traffic is not recorded unless someone makes an effort.

I should've have added this I my last post, I'd put something along the lines of:

"Your information will not be used for marketing and will remain confidential"

On the bottom of the sign in sheet.

I always though it was weird when arriving at an FBO and they do NOT ask at least my name, tail # and phone # in case of a problem if I am leaving the property. I want to be notified ASAP if there is a problem vs finding out when I am expecting to depart.

Siging in just to say "Hi" as a guestbook would be annoying.

Personally I assume that my plane...and any trasnient plane for that matter on the ramp is fair game to move unless otherwise noted by the owner.

I must be in the minority, but I am frequently asked to sign in. Usually, they just ask for my name, tail number and a phone number. I assume they would like to be able to easily contact me if anything happens to my plane.

And I think it is a good idea to ask if it can be moved. I know that we have had some people on here that got downright hostile when the FBO moved their plane without permission.

As others have said I don't mind filling them out if I'm leaving the airport property.
I'd include:
Tail #, name (last is fine), phone #, a check box for 'parking brake off' (or something along the lines of moving the plane), and finally a place for fuel if desired.
This should all be handled with someone at the counter if you can keep it staffed.

Eh. If some one asks me to sign in I do. Doesn't bother me one way or another. However if you do, it should be for a good reason. Not just a guestbook of sorts as Shawn mentioned.

If I'm staying overnight (or more than just a fuel stop with lunch), I have no problem filling out a card with my info. However, that logbook that a lot of FBOs have sitting on their counter will be ignored every time unless it is pointed out to me and I'm asked to fill it out. If that's the case, I'll normally put bogus data in there so it looks like a real person filled it out, but it won't be my info.

Of course. Otherwise you wouldn't be Anymouse.

I don't recall ever being asked to sign in.

If it's an attended FBO, someone asks me for whatever info they need; I don't sign in.

If it's an unattended airfield in Michigan, there is often a register left out for pilots to sign. (I think I've also seen them at attended fields; may or may not have an FBO.) This I do fill out ("sign in") as they help the manager track operations - seems like a quaint aviation custom to me, and so I play along.

It's better not to have to sign in. So unless you have reason, don't. Most airplane owners don't mind if you move their plane, but don't damage it!! And I have seen that happen. Line guys make mistakes. If you do move it, push it by hand. If the wheels are locked, you can't. How often do you have to move a plane anyway??? Do you really want to be moving pilots planes around anyway?? It's just asking for trouble.

I guess I've been asked to sign in most times I've been to an attended FBO, and I have no problem with it. I've also gotten thank-you notes, which is appreciated but totally unnecessary. I've never gotten spam out of it. But in this day and age, it's too easy to create a gmail account just for giving out when you're worried about spam. I haven't seen a sheet that specifically asks if they can move the plane, but sometimes they ask if the parking brake is set or I need fuel.

- deleted. (I miss read your post and replied with a bunch of stuff on how great Flight Schedule Pro is - but that's for renters.)

Last edited:
It's better not to have to sign in. So unless you have reason, don't. Most airplane owners don't mind if you move their plane, but don't damage it!! And I have seen that happen. Line guys make mistakes. If you do move it, push it by hand. If the wheels are locked, you can't. How often do you have to move a plane anyway??? Do you really want to be moving pilots planes around anyway?? It's just asking for trouble.

It depends on the airport and the parking layout. When I landed at KNEW the FBO there had VERY limited ramp space out front, maybe enough for 5 or so planes, and everything immediately got moved to a different area. My FBO has only 2 rows up front, one that they usually park smaller planes that is about 5 wide, and the second for the bigger jets. If it's a busy day planes are getting moved to the more distant parking areas all the time. It's the only way to fit all the planes and not make everyone walk miles. Also allows them to pack a bunch of planes into a small area. I've found that places like this tend to have pretty good ground crews, they do it all day every day, unlike some more quiet locations.

As for the original question, I've only been asked to sign in when I've been staying overnight, or at least for most of the day. Name, Tail#, Phone# generally anything else they need to know they just ask.

Ah, finely....

I flew corporate for over a decade. 6 months a year going to 3 or 4 airports a day. I'd often see a sign in sheet but I'd never fill it out voluntarily. Only the super small mom and pops ever asked me to fill it out and I would...begrudgingly.

Look, as a corporate pilot I've got tons of company forms to fill out. I have to itemize expenses and account for fuel and transportation and file flight plans. The paperwork is staggering...and now I have to fill out some form for the sake of filling out a form??

There's no point. I get the FBO wants a record. Great. YOU fill out the blaketiy blank form! You want it, not me. Why should I fill out your form while I'm the guy giving you money?

And FBOs that want me to sign the fuel order drive me nuts too. I order 100 gal Jet A with prist. My scribble on a paper changes nothing. It's just another useless step. Want proof? In 10 years I never signed it. I just scribbled on it and guess what? That was always just fine.

So if my scribble is some sort of legal protection then why can't my verbal request mean something? It works at 99% of other places with zero problems over 10 years. (Well, one problem but that was a fringe case)

Anyway, stop with the silliness. If you want to collect data then YOU collect it. The tail number is in big print outside the window. Ask me my name and I'll tell you. My cell number? I'm not leaving, if you need me just say my name. Email? Forget about that right now. My address? What, ya gonna send me a survey to see how the gas performed?

Just give me fuel, a GPU, have ice coffee and take the money.

I also need Internet...faster is better.

So, put me down for not liking sign in sheets.

I truly appreciate everyone's responses and input. The one thing I want to stress is this would absolutely not be used for marketing. The main purpose is to be able to contact the flight crew or pilot should there be a need. As FinallyThere! and farmerbrake suggested, we would only ask for a contact name, phone and tail number, and possibly if the brakes are off, although we always prefer not to move an aircraft.

We had a jet come in last week who wanted in the hangar, however even though we asked, the flight crew forgot to release the brakes prior to leaving for their hotel. The phone number we had was for their dispatcher, so it took a while to get in touch with the pilots to ask them to come back out to the airport to release the brakes. Last summer we had a fellow fly in from Florida for a week-long rafting trip. The day after he arrived we found a flat tire on his plane. We wanted to contact him as soon as possible to let him know we could repair it for him before his departure, but the number we had was for his office. So these are a few of the times when we got thinking that some sort of a contact or sign-in sheet would be valuable, but at the same time, we don't want it to be an inconvenience or a hassle to anyone. As First Officer mentioned, there's enough paperwork to do these days, so we don't want to exacerbate that any more than we have to.

I really appreciate all these responses. If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to respond.

FBO - "Could you just sign here please" (takes a bite of watermelon)
Pilot - "Sure....but why do you need my address?"
FBO - (spits seeds into paper towel) "We like to send out a mailer."

If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to respond.

At the top of the Sheet say:

Please provide us your contact information so that we can get in touch with you if there are any problems regarding your aircraft.

But make it optional. If someone appears not to have seen the sign-in sheet, the attendant could politely ask "would you like to provide us your information in case we need to call you about your aircraft?"

Is it not feasible to just generate a ticket for each plane and have the CSR fill it out? Fuel order, services needed? If the pilot is going off site a check box for brakes off and if overnight get a contact number.

I'd always give the company number. If there's a problem they're the ones to get ahold of anyway. Let them decide if it's time to interrupt the crews rest.

Don't think it's a problem at all. Do it all the time. It's helps the FBO and client

Name
Cell#
Date and time of ETD
On line time
Hangar?
Brakes off?
Fuel ?

Any services on Depature
Papers
Coffee
Ice
GPU
Catering
Pre-heat

Clients happy and the FBO knows how to plan the day out

I'm not understanding the negative feed back over this.
Seems simple enough to me

Steel.

I've never confused a sign-in sheet for a guestbook...

My thoughts exactly. I LIKE filling out a "visit" form that includes my handling instructions and fuel order. Good communication keeps the s--- down. Everybody happy. I have had numerous incorrect fuel orders without a sign in sheet.

Don't think it's a problem at all. Do it all the time.
It's helps the FBO and client

Name
Cell#
Date and time of ETD
On line time
Hangar?
Brakes off?
Fuel ?

Any services on Depature
Papers
Coffee
Ice
GPU
Catering
Pre-heat

Clients happy and the FBO knows how to plan the day out

I'm not understanding the negative feed back over this.
Seems simple enough to me

Steel.

Only time I sign anything is when getting a courtesy car, which makes perfect sense, or signing the fuel receipt.

I truly appreciate everyone's responses and input. The one thing I want to stress is this would absolutely not be used for marketing. The main purpose is to be able to contact the flight crew or pilot should there be a need. As FinallyThere! and farmerbrake suggested, we would only ask for a contact name, phone and tail number, and possibly if the brakes are off, although we always prefer not to move an aircraft.

We had a jet come in last week who wanted in the hangar, however even though we asked, the flight crew forgot to release the brakes prior to leaving for their hotel. The phone number we had was for their dispatcher, so it took a while to get in touch with the pilots to ask them to come back out to the airport to release the brakes. Last summer we had a fellow fly in from Florida for a week-long rafting trip. The day after he arrived we found a flat tire on his plane. We wanted to contact him as soon as possible to let him know we could repair it for him before his departure, but the number we had was for his office. So these are a few of the times when we got thinking that some sort of a contact or sign-in sheet would be valuable, but at the same time, we don't want it to be an inconvenience or a hassle to anyone. As First Officer mentioned, there's enough paperwork to do these days, so we don't want to exacerbate that any more than we have to.

I really appreciate all these responses. If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to respond.

This is why I don't mind signing in. I _prefer_ that the FBO has my contact info in case something like this comes up.

Back