sightseeing in class-b

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
My dad will be visiting in a few months and I've been trying to plan a sightseeing flight for him.

I'd like to take him out over our former hometown about 30nm away.

The problem is that it lies close under Kansas City B airspace. Local elevation is about 1000 MSL, overhanging B above the town starts at 2400 MSL. I don't want to putter around at < 1400AGL over population. The transition from the 2400 floor to the 3000 floor is directly over the town. East side of town is underneath 2400, west side is underneath 3000.

KC is usually very accommodating to requests for transition, but how do you ask to just 'hang out'?

(And, yes, I'll be asking the same question at my FBO.)

Thanks,
Matt

"circle for photos at x feet MSL" or "orbit over ____" works.

I've asked for "sightseeing in the vicinity of xxxxx" and had no problems. If they need more precise information from you, they'll ask. They'll probably ask you, for instance, to advise them when you're leaving the area.

--Kath

Make sure of the location. I have done lot work PHL (B) & NY (B) Check to see if there is any sports complex near by they fall under large gathering as a TFR. Not always reported by flight serves. And Just like Dave & Katherine saided make your request & Altitude.
Practice to yourself what your going request and have a plan of entering, orbiting and departing. Things with appraoch always goes smooth went they feel you know what you’re doing and also for yourself.

kath said:
I've asked for "sightseeing in the vicinity of xxxxx" and had no problems. If they need more precise information from you, they'll ask. They'll probably ask you, for instance, to advise them when you're leaving the area.

--Kath

Did this in Tampa a month and a half aog to get pictures of the Sunshine Skyway bridge. Works great. But also be awre that if class bis hoping you may not get it. So try to plan you flight for the non-busy time just to be sure and as a coutesy to the controller.

How about "between abc and xyz radials, greater than XXdme"? Ive heard that assigned before.

>How about "between abc and xyz radials, greater than XXdme"? Ive heard that assigned before<

This particular town is flagged as a visual checkpoint on the charts. Shouldn't be much room for confusion over the location.

I've flown over it before, but on a transition through the airspace. I just wasn't sure of the terminology to use to request a loiter overhead before requesting a departure back the way I came.

If they're too busy to let me in, I'll go somewhere else. There's just not a good way to get there from where I am, I'd have to sneak under B for quite a long way and it's too tight a fit for my tastes.

Thanks, all.

Matt

Matthew said:
My dad will be visiting in a few months and I've been trying to plan a sightseeing flight for him.

The problem is that it lies close under Kansas City B airspace. Local elevation is about 1000 MSL, overhanging B above the town starts at 2400 MSL. I don't want to putter around at < 1400AGL over population. The transition from the 2400 floor to the 3000 floor is directly over the town. East side of town is underneath 2400, west side is underneath 3000.

KC is usually very accommodating to requests for transition, but how do you ask to just 'hang out'?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Which town? Which FBO? My curiosity since I live in the neighborhood.

Best thing to do is just ask them. KC is pretty accomodating. Tell them what you want to do. Better yet, call them on the phone and ask them which times would be better than others. You don't want to be doing it when a bunch of Southwest airplanes are on arrival.

I am sure you can find a phone number in the Facilities Directory.

Let'sgoflying! said:
How about "between abc and xyz radials, greater than XXdme"? Ive heard that assigned before.
When doing mapping I always used "the 123 radial of the ABC VOR, X mile radius for X minutes". Most controllers know where something prominent like "downtown" is, but if you're wanting to be in a more obscure location, this works well. We also used to coordinate on the phone with TRACON in advance to figure out the best time for them if it was a busy area.

Last edited:
I've also called ahead and asked Approach when a good time would be. We develop subdivisions and wanted to look at them in the air. I found that by calling ahead, telling them who we were and why we were doing things helped. The info did get passed on because the controllers asked about our properties. They also told me late morning had the best chance to work out for each of us.

Best,

Dave

Matthew said:
I just wasn't sure of the terminology to use to request a loiter overhead before requesting a departure back the way I came.
If you're ever not sure of the correct aviation terminology, basic English works well, at least until they outsource ATC to India. :rolleyes:

I just finished reading that other thread.

Everskyward said:
If you're ever not sure of the correct aviation terminology, basic English works well, at least until they outsource ATC to India. :rolleyes:

I just finished reading that other thread.
Hey, you put us right behind that heavy. No wake turbulence, thank you...is h'kay.

> Greg Bockelman

Which town? Which FBO? My curiosity since I live in the neighborhood.
<

I'd be taking off from Olathe, then up to Leavenworth. I could take the long way around from the west, but would still run into the problem of having that low class-b over the east half of town.

I think it'd be nice to work over the city and fort, then come back south along the river, with the bluffs on the right side and our old house right on top.

My CFI and I went to St. Joe last summer and I ended up transitioning over exactly the same route I'd like to take again.

Matthew said:

Thanks,
Matt

On call up, advise them of your intentions (location and purpose) and Advise you would like to remain "ON STATION" for that purpose. They will most likely clear you "ON Station" as requested. When done you would call them and advise you are departing the area and a thank you to the controller always helps :) .

Last edited:
This got me wondering again - I'm sure this has been discussed before.

Suppose you are cleared into B, but your flight path will take you out of B and back in, are you still cleared?

In this particular example: Suppose you are cleared into B for sightseeing/circling. Your location and maneuvering has you right on the edge of a tier and you are sometimes in and sometimes out. As long as ATC knows your intentions are to remain in the area and has already cleared you, are you still OK?

(I hadn't even thought that I could just call approach on the phone ahead of time and ask, that seems too simple.)

C-1 PILOT said:
On call up, advise them of your intentions (location and purpose) and Advise you would like to remain "ON STATION" for that purpose. They will most likely clear you "ON Station" as requested. When done you would call them and advise you are departing the area and a thank you to the controller always helps :) .

I think I get the general idea but what exactly is 'ON STATION' mean? What would I be cleared to do? I didn't find anything in the AIM or Pilot/Controller Glossary. Sounds military.

Matthew said:
Suppose you are cleared into B, but your flight path will take you out of B and back in, are you still cleared?

Once you've got the squawk and clearance, you are good to go.

Back