Sightseeing around FTW - possible?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Howdy,
we will be in the DFW area this weekend. Specifically, by the Grapevine Lake with some friends. We are planning on parking our plane overnight at KAFW but wanted to take the friends up for a quick sight-seeing flight.
Looking at the congested Bravo, where would you recommend we do that?
The Grapevine Lake is right next to KDFW, I doubt they would allow us to circle there for our friends to see their house from the air.
My thought was that maybe we could circle FTW downtown a few times but that is very close to the approach path into KFTW. (I know, I've flown that visual approach before, watching our reflection in the highrise windows and I wouldn't want some circling yahoo getting in my way :) ).

So what do y'all do up there if you want to take some friends for a calm evening flight around the FTW patch?

Thank you in advance for some USEFUL advice. :)

Fly over to Bridgeport or possum kingdom lake. There's just not much to look at out here but lakes.

Flying over the top of KDFW might be of interest to them.

But you might get some better suggestions from the North Texas Aviators Facebook group. In addition to the pilot crowd, we have some of Regional Approach controllers too.

Breakfast at the Beacon cafe should be on your list for sure.

Last edited:
Fly over to Bridgeport or possum kingdom lake. There's just not much to look at out here but lakes.

Yeah PK or even North past the Texas Motor Speedway to Texhoma is about all I could think of. I suppose you could make a pass by the Arlington area to see the stadiums assuming there's not a TFR for a baseball game, but there's not much to see in DFW other than the city skylines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy,
we will be in the DFW area this weekend. Specifically, by the Grapevine Lake with some friends. We are planning on parking our plane overnight at KAFW but wanted to take the friends up for a quick sight-seeing flight.
Looking at the congested Bravo, where would you recommend we do that?
The Grapevine Lake is right next to KDFW, I doubt they would allow us to circle there for our friends to see their house from the air.
My thought was that maybe we could circle FTW downtown a few times but that is very close to the approach path into KFTW. (I know, I've flown that visual approach before, watching our reflection in the highrise windows and I wouldn't want some circling yahoo getting in my way :) ).

So what do y'all do up there if you want to take some friends for a calm evening flight around the FTW patch?

Thank you in advance for some USEFUL advice. :)

As long as you grab flight following you can go wherever you want around here pretty easily, as they allow of course. Or if going straight to downtown you could leave Alliance, and grab 118.3 Meacham tower and ask for a little downtown viewing. Won't be a problem at all, and they are very easy to deal with. From there, request flight following to where ever you want to go. They are very good at routing you around DFW airport. Can fly over the top, and depending on flow that day, you can get really close which is always cool. I know Southlake is easy to fly around next door, Grapevine is getting into the routing a little bit more so, but if traffic isn't heavy at that time you would be surprised at what they allow. But the stadiums are always cool over N Arlington, and downtown Dallas always nice as well. You will need to be in contact with Love Field since downtown is their direct path. But as with a lot of things, depends on airport flow that day and how busy the batch of flights are at the moment.

You can circle downtown Fort Worth at 3,500 ft MSL and be both above FTW Class D and below DFW Class B airspace. Flight following is available on 135.97, but be advised in the evening hours they have been combining sectors like crazy, and you may not be able to initiate flight following because of frequency congestion. Talking to FTW Tower is your next best bet if you can't reach Regional Approach.

go down to austin and fly over the nude beach at lake travis........

In a town that the dudes dress like gals and the gals dress like dudes, a nude beach would be confusing.

If you want to fly over DFW, talk to ATC. If they are landing North or South, get a East/West route. DFW is a beautiful airport.

Go to Hicks. T67. The Beacon Cafe is THE BEST on airport restaurant. I do not go there on the weekends, so I cannot say you will not wait to eat.

Howdy,
we will be in the DFW area this weekend. Specifically, by the Grapevine Lake with some friends.

Speaking of Grapevine Lake - saw this guy on there a month or so ago. Not sure if he's a regular. We found it amusing:

Grapevine.jpg

I'm probably late with this... but from Alliance I would ask for flight following to Red Bird (er.. Dallas Executive KRBD) and would expect an easy trip across the DFW Bravo.

Leaving Red Bird, go North to McKinney (KTKI) and then return to Alliance.

Odds are you'll be through the Bravo in all three segments, and you'll likely get vistas of Downtown Fort Worth (yah, there is one), Downtown Dallas, DFW airport, Love Field, and the bigger lakes.

And then go to the beacon for some pineapple pancakes. <--- shameless plug for the on field restaurant at Hick (T67)

Back