Sight Seeing in N. Ga

wilzup

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric D
The wife and i decided to take a trip up into the mountians to see if we could catch the leaves changing color. I guess it is a little early but, it was a fun trip nonetheless. Flew from KLZU(Lawrenceville) - KTOC(Toccoa) up to GE99 (Heavens Landing).

https://youtu.be/CqTYZ2dmO_Y

Early November will peak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 51
Oh wow! Will definitely have to get back up there then!
Thanks!

That's just south of the Cohutta / Big Frog wilderness areas. In a couple weeks, you should have pretty good color from there, all the way over to the Heaven's Landing area.

I was fishing in the Blue Ridge/Toccoa River area last Thursday. Colors are right on the verge. If it stays dry, they will pop pretty soon.

Flew over the Blairsville area a little while ago. I think the mountains just south of the airport will be prime around Halloween weekend. Not much color in Atlanta today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
We usually plan our family reunion in Clayton, Ga (GE99) for the last weekend in October. We have had good success with this being the prime time for color in the mountains. My brother lives in McCaysville (near Blueridge) 1A3. I usually go up and spend the night there the day before the reunion then go over the next morning to my cousins place in Clayton for the reunion.

Looks like an amazing sight to see from an airplane.

We're in Ellijay for the next week, I'm guessing about 75 miles west of Heavens Landing. Leaves are just starting to change. High today was in the low 60s with frost this morning. My kind of climate!

C-130s doing their thing up here tonight. Probably no more than 500 ft above the house.

Last edited:
Personally I enjoy a drive through the mountains to enjoy the colors.

C-130s doing there thing up here tonight. Probably no more than 500 ft above the house.

I live under the base leg for runway 29 (?) at Dobbins. C-130's at low altitude are common as nails. The only thing that bothers us is when they bring in a JStars (a militarized late model 707) and shoot multiple touch and go's at night. Those things are LOUD.

C-130s doing there thing up here tonight. Probably no more than 500 ft above the house.

Don't know if it's the same ones, but something really loud and low just blasted over the cabin about an hour ago.

Personally I enjoy a drive through the mountains to enjoy the colors.

Yep, 348 out of Helen to the NW is an excellent drive. 129 not bad either.

Might sound silly, but I moved from S FL to N GA for the roads!

Great for motorcycling, bicycling, or even, God forbid, driving.

Yeah, unfortunately I fly motorcycle guys from time to time off those scenic roads when they wipe out. I guess they love the twisty turns we have.

My neighbors just retired up here from Ft Myers. For them it was the traffic and heat / humidity.

Don't know if it's the same ones, but something really loud and low just blasted over the cabin about an hour ago.

Y'all making me miss when I lived outside of Blue Ridge! My house was out on Aska Rd 4 miles from Blue Ridge. There's a military low level route that uses Lake Blue Ridge as a check point. When I lived there Navy T39s and Marine F18s, in addition to the C130s, used to fly almost right overhead. Here I'm thinking I'm away from everything and planes are flying right over my house! :D

Last edited:
Y'all making me miss when I lived outside of Blue Ridge! My house was out on Aska Rd 4 miles from Blue Ridge. Their is a military low level route that uses Lake Blue Ridge as a check point. When I lived there Navy T39s and Marine F18s, in addition to the C130s, used to fly almost right overhead. Here I'm thinking I'm away from everything and planes are flying right over my house! :D

Navy lost a T-39 in that area a few years back. I've been head to head with them on the VR route before. TCAD helps tremendously in that area.

Speaking of military activity up here, just be on the look out for RW at low altitude in 685 next month. Don't want anyone to get a surprise flying low level, taking pics of trees and get a face full of helicopter.:D

Was in Blue Ridge grabbing lunch last week and a couple of C130's went over. I figured as low as they were there must be a training route up there.

Was floating/camping on the Flint River south of ATL this past weekend and had what looked like two Apache (or some sort of attack helo) doing maneuvers over camp in the evening and again after dark around 9:30 or so. That was pretty cool to see them skirting up and down the river.

Eric, you're too high and fast. You need to do it again in a helicopter. There's a bunch of 'em over at the north ramp!

Eric, you're too high and fast. You need to do it again in a helicopter. There's a bunch of 'em over at the north ramp!

I did a tour of the Smoky Mountains in a helicopter before I moved down here from Knoxville. That was a lot of fun! I'm sure seeing the leaves when they are changing from one would be even better!

I'm thinking Saturday will be an excellent day for sight seeing in north GA.

Yep, this weekend will be the best of the year, wx permitting. Here's I pick I took up there last week:

19928_10207873667628857_1355628114189614067_n.jpg

write-stuff, you must have been flying very low to snap that pic! :eek:

j/k, but in all reality if the weather is decent this weekend I think it would be a good time to go. Saturday I'll be down in peachtree city seeing the Blue Angels for the first time (http://thegreatgeorgiaairshow.com/) but I'm hoping to go flying this week or next week to see the colors!

Not the weather I thought we'd have today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Wayne and I did a little fall leaf tour yesterday. These from the Ellijay area. Apologies for the dirty, tinted windows.

12188893_10207911686419303_1217399600006233793_n.jpg

11203053_10207911693539481_7493182402340388277_n.jpg

12189036_10207911694459504_1474849276704990121_n.jpg

FYI

There is a nice grass strip on Lake Burton. It is uncharted, but used and maintained. Good to know it's there if you need it. You can see it at 1:15 in the video. It crossed the peninsula in the lower left of the video. It is up hill. Approach is from the south.

Wayne and I did a little fall leaf tour yesterday. These from the Ellijay area. Apologies for the dirty, tinted windows.

Write-stuff, just saw you posted this! Thanks for taking me up flying with you! I had a blast flying on grass for the first time and seeing the colors up north! Great pictures.

Back