Sigh. . . . they crapped out on me

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
"Too busy--thanks for the offer." Oh, well, I guess I'll just go up and practice. Where shall I go? I hate just staying in the pat.

wangmyers said:
"Too busy--thanks for the offer." Oh, well, I guess I'll just go up and practice. Where shall I go? I hate just staying in the pat.

Took me a minute but you're talking about those to whom you've extended the offer of the joy of flight, right?

Always keep in mind that when trying to convert someone that they do not share your perspective. Your words may as well be in a different language. IOW, they don't know what's good for them--you have to show them. Incentives have marginal effect, duck tape for hands and feet work much better.:goofy:

Make every flight count. Max perf take off, leave the patt for some serious airwork, push the envelope in ship handling, come back and make some max perf landings.

Ben;

Richard says it so well and add some new local airports to your area. Go and land at a new field and see how the plane behaves at each one. Tresure the time and feel the plane as you pratice.

Have fun and enjoy

John

Ben;
Why not just extend them an offer to fly some time in the future. You could make up an official certificate with their married name on it. Something suitable for framing.
It may be a case of jitters (impending marraige will do that too). Maybe they really don't have the time. Just don't give up on them.

wangmyers said:

I have some wonderful friends in the DC area who might LOVE to fly with you, Ben. They would even chip in on the gas.

Don't lose heart, your offer was sweet, wonderful, and generous and they might take you up on it later, as Silver-eagle said.

terry

Thanks very much guys. I did verbally extend the offer indefinitely, as my wedding gift to them. (Who the hell needs a double-boiler, anyway?) Silver Eagle, I really like your idea. I think I will make a certificate!

silver-eagle said:
Ben;
Why not just extend them an offer to fly some time in the future. You could make up an official certificate with their married name on it. Something suitable for framing.
It may be a case of jitters (impending marraige will do that too). Maybe they really don't have the time. Just don't give up on them.

While it can't really hurt to ask another time, there's a good chance your friends are simply uncomfortable with the idea of flying in one of those dangerous small planes and rather than saying so therby risking offending you they gave the "too busy" excuse. If you do persist, I'd do it in a way that clearly indicates that you're OK with a refusal from them and won't be offended. Presenting them with a "flight certificate" wouldn't do that and could put them into a very uncomfortable position.

I've offered airplane rides to lots of folks and IME if the response is "too busy" or "can't today" without the inclusion of something like "I'd really like to do that some other time", or "I really wish I had the time now", you are talking to someone that doesn't want to accept your offer. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue this, just that I think you should be very careful to allow them to save face. Something along the lines of "I can understand if you have safety concerns about flying in small planes, I don't want to pressure you into anything you're uncomfortable with", might open the door for a relaxed discussion of such concerns. I've also found that for some folks who do have a desire to try it but are too fearful to do so, are more willing if you offer to terminate the flight at their first hint of distress, as this gives them some feeling of control (and lack of control is often a strong underlying issue).

Back