sigh - no radio

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Well - we pulled our radio to have it repaired after it failed on us. No VOR for a while, but at least we still have the GPS with COMM radio built in. I decided to take a picture of our panel with the gaping hole in it. Sigh.

Also - a gratuitous pic of my plane sitting on the ramp at Double Eagle, also, just to make me feel better. :)

SkyHog said:
Also - a gratuitous pic of my plane sitting on the ramp at Double Eagle, also, just to make me feel better. :)

I'll say it again, that is one sharp plane you have there, Nick! I hope you guys have sunshades for it...

You ever seen it with the panel open? It's facinating. The yoke connects latterally with a chain! (Doh! What else would work?)

Nic, look at it this way, after this you'll have light guns down cold and you'll know the in and out of PPR. Don't let this interfere with your goal. You have less than 200 days.

BONUS Question: In the 2nd pic, anyone see anything hazardous about the way the plane is parked?

mikea said:
You ever seen it with the panel open? It's facinating. The yoke connects latterally with a chain! (Doh! What else would work?)
The worst was the chain looks woefully inadequate because the links are so small. Cable & pulley with jackscrew at the yoke is a good alternative.

Last edited:
Richard said:
BONUS Question: In the 2nd pic, anyone see anything hazardous about the way the plane is parked?

1. The nose wheel is across the line, and it does indeed look too far forward compared to the Cessna seen behind.
  2. Control lock not used (even if it is a seatbelt)
  3. Parked tail into a decent breeze (see flagpole)
I'd say #2 and #3 combined could cause the control surfaces (expecially ailerons) to get flailed about by the wind.

Bill Jennings said:
  1. The nose wheel is across the line, and it does indeed look too far forward compared to the Cessna seen behind.
I'd say #2 and #3 combined could cause the control surfaces (expecially ailerons) to get flailed about by the wind.

ouch!! Yeah - no control lock, I was only parked for long enough for me to run to the bathroom....and I do mean RUN!! Same excuse for #1 and #3.

Also - wind wasn't as bad as it looks - maybe 4-5 knots tops. I thought someone would point out parking in the wrong direction per the painted lines. I just picked a spot on the ramp away from the taxiway and other planes so that I could.....make a phone call.

SkyHog said:
ouch!! Yeah - no control lock, I was only parked for long enough for me to run to the bathroom....and I do mean RUN!! Same excuse for #1 and #3.

Also - wind wasn't as bad as it looks - maybe 4-5 knots tops. I thought someone would point out parking in the wrong direction per the painted lines. I just picked a spot on the ramp away from the taxiway and other planes so that I could.....make a phone call.
Bill did a pretty good job but I see a couple others.

Nick, if I may be so bold. Running off in a hurry is likely to bite you one day. If it were a less busy ramp, maybe, but you're on a busy ramp. I've seen strong gusts pop up out of nowhere. What about the careless pilot who does his runup with you at his 6, I've experienced that too. And please don't RUN across the ramp. At least you set the brake, right?

I landed in San Diego so full I was gonna' blow my O rings. Still, I took the time to run through the shut down and tie down procedures on a very BUSY ramp. I almost lost it when I bent down to pick up the tie-down chains.:D

Bill Jennings said:

RE: nose across the line. What about it?

Last edited:
Richard said:
Bill did a pretty good job but I see a couple others.

Nick, if I may be so bold. Running off in a hurry is likely to bite you one day. If it were a less busy ramp, maybe, but you're on a busy ramp. I've seen strong gusts pop up out of nowhere. What about the careless pilot who does his runup with you at his 6, I've experienced that too. And please don't RUN across the ramp. At least you set the brake, right?

I landed in San Diego so full I was gonna' blow my O rings. Still, I took the time to run through the shut down and tie down procedures on a very BUSY ramp. I almost lost it when I bent down to pick up the tie-down chains.:D

No worries about the boldness. The ramp was quite slow that day. Also - I ran through the entire shutdown checklist. We have no control locks because we keep hangared. Brake was set.

Might have also noticed no chocks - it was chocked - the picture was a last minute thing, after pulling the chocks.

I also left the window open. A bird could have flown in...:)

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
No worries about the boldness. The ramp was quite slow that day. Also - I ran through the entire shutdown checklist. We have no control locks because we keep hangared. Brake was set.

Might have also noticed no chocks - it was chocked - the picture was a last minute thing, after pulling the chocks.

I also left the window open. A bird could have flown in...:)
Yeah, I know, I sound like your mother. Well, maybe not your's, but someones. But they're called accidents because no one plans for them to happen.

G'day, capt.

Back