Sideways (the movie) - a bit of a rant [NA]

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
OK, what did I miss here? I've been waiting for months to see this movie because I heard it was just wonderful. My wife and I finally sat down last night to watch it and I gave up about half way through. Technically, it was OK. Acting - 8/10. Directing - 7/10. Script - 6/10.

When I told my wife I was giving up I explained, "I don't care about any of these characters. I don't care if they live or die, get married or shack up. They aren't compelling in the least." They were all so self absorbed and thoughtless. The story - two guys take a week before one guy's wedding and see how sophomoric they can be - was lame and insulting. Do guys really act like those two? Do I have friends who would steal money from their mothers? Who would sleep with two women the week before they get married? I hope not. This is not how the men I know act.

So why did this movie get such great reviews? What did I miss? The ONLY redeeming thing about the film is that I did learn something about wine (and that I didn't spend money to see it in the theater).

My thoughts exactly. I did the same thing about a month ago. However, my girlfriend said she loved it...must be a chick thing.

Michael said:
However, my girlfriend said she loved it...must be a chick thing.
I dunno. My wife watched the whole thing and asked, "Is THAT what guys are like?" She hated it.

Movies...I don't need no stinking movie...give me the remote, 30 minutes and I can watch a 120 channels of nothing one second at a time and retain nothing. Great way to legally numb the mind. I did set through Napolean Dynamite with my kids and well, I'm still trying to figure that one out. :D

Doug R said:
Movies...I don't need no stinking movie...give me the remote, 30 minutes and I can watch a 120 channels of nothing one second at a time and retain nothing. Great way to legally numb the mind. I did set through Napolean Dynamite with my kids and well, I'm still trying to figure that one out. :D

My sister is still catching crap from all of us for making us watch Napolean Dynamite. She's also still puzzled as to why all of her friends were so hyped on it.

As for Sideways, I'm convinced that some chicks just like affirmation that all men are pigs. They love movies like this.

Joe Williams said:
As for Sideways, I'm convinced that some chicks just like affirmation that all men are pigs. They love movies like this.
Well, they got it in this movie. I was actually embarrased to watch it with my wife. I felt like I needed to defend myself.

Chip:

1. Trunkmonkeys are inspired.

2. Raves about Sideways are from those who see the world through SoCal glasses.

Been there. Done that. Got the hell out.

I haven't seen the movie and I don't think I'll be seeing it. A lot of people 'round here have said the same and for the same reasons you have stated.

I think the movie got good reviews becase of the locale and it pandered to the Hollywood crowd. The film was mostly about an elitist mentality and they eat that up.

Fathers don't act like Homer Simpson either yet he's billed as America's most famous father. I think this speaks to a certain free wheeling anything goes mentality. It's hard to be appalled when your mind has been numbed (dumbed) and you constantly seek new, even sophmoric, experiences.

Those who go to the movies or watch TV to see how life is supposed to work are not living life to its fullest. Go for a hike, read a book, fly a plane, build a model, play catch with your kid or dog, go fishing, whatever.

Producers don't make shows to entertain you; they make them to get rich off of you.

I agree. My wife and I watched about 1/2 this movie, looked at each other and said what is the big deal and turned it off. Biggest stinking pile of poo I have ever seen.
Joe

I loved it, what can I say. It was just a really well told adult story. A really great movie. So what if the characters had some serious flaws, I think that was the point

I think it might help if you drank wine before watching...a LOT of wine! I thought the best part of the whole movie was Maya's (Virginia Madsen) pontification about why she enjoyed wine.

What do you expect from Hollywood. I haven't seen a really good movie come out of that sesspool since "Saving Private Ryan".

corjulo said:
I loved it, what can I say. It was just a really well told adult story. A really great movie. So what if the characters had some serious flaws, I think that was the point
And that, as my father is fond of saying, is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Brian Austin said:
Those who go to the movies or watch TV to see how life is supposed to work are not living life to its fullest. Go for a hike, read a book, fly a plane, build a model, play catch with your kid or dog, go fishing, whatever.

Producers don't make shows to entertain you; they make them to get rich off of you.

Well said.
I gotta make it a point to maybe watch a little of that movie when the remote surf's up...

My wife and I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was worthy of all the praise.
Yes, some men act like that. Ever been to Vegas? Some women act like that too for that matter.
Bottom line though, is that it is fiction. Whether or not men act like that, is irrelevant. Its all in what you like. Anyone think there might be robot killing machines from the future showing up soon? I would think that most people don't, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a movie about it.

jkaduk said:
My wife and I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was worthy of all the praise.
Yes, some men act like that. Ever been to Vegas? Some women act like that too for that matter.
Bottom line though, is that it is fiction. Whether or not men act like that, is irrelevant. Its all in what you like. Anyone think there might be robot killing machines from the future showing up soon? I would think that most people don't, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a movie about it.

OK, the two liberal guys like it. What does that tell ya? :)

And John, the robot killing machines from the future have already showed up. Ever hear of Area 51?

It was pitched as a hilariously funny movie - I guess I never really saw the belly laugh bits.

Turned out to be another 2+ hours of my life I will never get back.

Then again, I kinda enjoyed Battlefield Earth (even though it was so far from the book as to be laughable)...so don't read too much into my opinion

Anthony said:
OK, the two liberal guys like it. What does that tell ya? :)
Ah, but the liberal guy who started the thread didn't like it, so I don't know what to make of that.

Michael said:
My thoughts exactly. I did the same thing about a month ago. However, my girlfriend said she loved it...must be a chick thing.

Not necessarily. My wife hated it more than I did.

gibbons said:
Ah, but the liberal guy who started the thread didn't like it, so I don't know what to make of that.

I do. It was just a bad movie. Chip, do you like Streisand flicks?

Back