Sickness note commercial pilot by GP or AME?

Cherokee Hourbuilder

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Walter Hans
Hi, literally asking for a friend (that's why I didn't bother to log out and do it anonymously):

If your employer, an airline, asks you for a sickness note, can your AME refuse to provide one and refer you to your GP "because he knows you better"? It's between examinations, obviously, so it would be an extra appointment. Well, who is best qualified to judge that fatigue and employment threats lead to a condition where declaring yourself unfit to fly is the best course of action, speaking from a point of flight safety and aviation medicine?

Thanks for some insights, I was stunned when I heard this.

Why should an AME or any doctor be forced to examine or treat a patient unless it’s a case where death is imminent without that doctor’s treatment?

Iamsafe, no note needed. If it's contractual, then see a doctor, get a note.

What is the reason the GP is not the natural choice for your Friend? Does your Friend have access to Tele-Doc? That might be the easiest place to get a note.

Well, who is best qualified to judge that fatigue and employment threats lead to a condition where declaring yourself unfit to fly is the best course of action, speaking from a point of flight safety and aviation medicine?

Can you describe more about what led up to this for your Friend as context may be particularly helpful.

I went to my AME for a [paid] consult after a surgery which was in-between exams for my Medical Certificate to find out if I was ok to fly or not however I was only asking for the verbal opinion of my AME and not asking for a note to provide to my employer. I honestly did not know if my surgery was going to ground me or not so figured better to ask than be ignorant. My GP would be able to assess how I am doing medically and would have overall better knowledge of my entire health condition. But, I figured my AME would be better suited to let me know my flight status assuming that I provided the relevant medical information as my AME does not have access to all my health history and information.

It sounds like there is a LOT more to this.

"employment threats lead to a condition where declaring yourself unfit to fly is the best course of action"

I am not buying that an airline would demand a sick note for a call out or fatigue call. There is way more to this one.

I am not buying that an airline would demand a sick note for a call out or fatigue call. There is way more to this one.
My last (non-aviation) employer required a sick note after missing 3 consecutive days of work. Who knows? HR departments rule with an iron fist.

On the other hand, lol, yeah - the backstory often fills in significant gaps in contextual understanding.

Your friend needs to speak with his union rep, not SGOTI. There is nowhere near enough info to provide any reliable guidance.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies - well obviousy "there is a longer story involved" (over a very short amount of time), I shortened it to the relevant part, and my surprise when the AME did not want to provide the "unfit note" or sick note. The Union was/ is not very helpful, which is another eye opener.

But the guidance is simply needed about the AME/ GP question. Everything else is covered competently.

And yes, airlines require sick notes this side of the pond. And yes, the threat is serious but it wouldn't make national headlines. And no, providing more info would certainly fulfill the curious nature we all have in such contexts but would not change anything about the question I posed, specifically, concisely, and leaving out the interesting but irrelevant rest. (but GP availability if one is never sick and moved around to advance a career is the benign, harmless answer to the challenge of finding a GP ad hoc as a new patient).

And to "Wheels", no one should be forced, but if the AME is the most competent available I'd be stunned if mine refused to provide a sick note based on sth he is perfectly capable of assessing. I've had three AMEs in my flying career and if any would have refused such a sick note consultation I would have been speechless.

… I've had three AMEs in my flying career and if any would have refused such a sick note consultation I would have been speechless.
I would not be surprised, especially if the AME’s day job is chiropractor and only sees you once for the note.

For a sick note, I’d start with the nearest Urgent Care practice before even thinking about any AME.

I would not be surprised, especially if the AME’s day job is chiropractor and only sees you once for the note.

For a sick note, I’d start with the nearest Urgent Care practice before even thinking about any AME.
I didn't think that a chiropractor could be an AME. Because, you know, not real doctor.

Back