Sick-out at American?

Might not be a bad idea. At this point my record is better than theirs.
Stay right by your phone I'm sure an airline board of directors will be giving you a call any minute now so they can profit from your ingenious home-spun solutions.

Oh, I see, so you've run a lot of airlines have you ?

Herb Kelleher was a practicing lawyer when SWA was started; his successor at the airline was his order legal secretary.

Sometimes, a little new blood (or, in Wayne's case, perhaps we'd best say, "different blood" :D ) can serve to stimulate a better result.

Lots of companies started by folks who hadn't run that kind of business before. Only thing is, they had skin in the game. It was succeed or lose their personal nest egg.

Most modern "professional executives" sign paperwork before they walk in the door saying they get paid even if they fail. And then their incentive is stock price via options, not long term health of the company.

Not sure why you'd pick on Wayne about his experience. He's not the person running AA into the ground. He may not be the answer, but he's not causing damage daily.

Er..... Small world alert. I was pumping gas at the Mobil station on US 1 & 104th st. in 73. People were tipping 2.00 (big bucks) to "forget" to stop the pump at 10 gals. Our price was .01 more than the Union 76. When they changed, we'd change. Instantly.

To relate this to aviation, do you remember Brown's Airport that was east of U. S. 1 and slightly south of 104th street? I don't remember exactly when it turned into a housing development but that is the airport where I was the airport kid and learned to fly.

To relate this to aviation, do you remember Brown's Airport that was east of U. S. 1 and slightly south of 104th street? I don't remember exactly when it turned into a housing development but that is the airport where I was the airport kid and learned to fly.

And to also keep this aviation releted....

Wow.. that was a long time ago..... Yup.... It was west of the Parrot Jungle and Red Road at about 110 st . Just off Killian Dr...I also miss the CG flying out of Dinner Key... and Chalks, the Heli's and the Goodyear blimp over on Watson Island...:yes:;) . I wanna be a kid again....:yes:

Last edited:
And to also keep this aviation releted....

Wow.. that was a long time ago..... Yup.... It was west of the Parrot Jungle and Red Road at about 110 st . Just off Killian Dr...I also miss the CG flying out of Dinner Key... and Chalks, the Heli's and the Goodyear blimp over on Watson Island...:yes:;) . I wanna be a kid again....:yes:

And back in the day at that airport, at least for my initiation when I soloed, I was carried by more guys than I could overcome and tossed into the drainage canal that paralleled the runway. None of that wimpy t-shirt cutting stuff back then. Of course I was voluntarily in that canal on several other occasions when somebody ground looped and ended up in the water. Had to take the inspection plates off to allow water to drain while the plane, usually a J-3, was pulled back up onto Tera-firma. Yup, would be nice to be a kid again -- at least sometimes. :wink2:

And back in the day at that airport, at least for my initiation when I soloed, I was carried by more guys than I could overcome and tossed into the drainage canal that paralleled the runway. None of that wimpy t-shirt cutting stuff back then. Of course I was voluntarily in that canal on several other occasions when somebody ground looped and ended up in the water. Had to take the inspection plates off to allow water to drain while the plane, usually a J-3, was pulled back up onto Tera-firma. Yup, would be nice to be a kid again -- at least sometimes. :wink2:

Great stories about Browns, the blimp base and other abandoned places... Thanks Bruce for adding to the comments on Freemans site..:yes:

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/FL/Airfields_FL_Miami_S.htm

Lots of companies started by folks who hadn't run that kind of business before. Only thing is, they had skin in the game. It was succeed or lose their personal nest egg.

Most modern "professional executives" sign paperwork before they walk in the door saying they get paid even if they fail. And then their incentive is stock price via options, not long term health of the company.

Not sure why you'd pick on Wayne about his experience. He's not the person running AA into the ground. He may not be the answer, but he's not causing damage daily.

Actually I'm just tired of people claiming the solution is easy - when they've never even worked for an airline but by gosh they know a guy who did........

But all this talk about Miami before the Cubans took over is certainly enlightening.

Actually I'm just tired of people claiming the solution is easy - when they've never even worked for an airline but by gosh they know a guy who did........

But all this talk about Miami before the Cubans took over is certainly enlightening.

We are just trying to change the topic from failed airlines to failed US cities...:eek:;)

Don't even get me started on Eastern Airlines or National Airlines..:no::nono:

Nobody said it was easy. You would feel differently about the management changes if you attended the board meetings and interviews when they are trying to figure out how to fix it.

When the people who supposedly "know all about airlines" or whatever business is under discussion aren't getting the job done, you can safely assume the board has already discussed "how much worse can it get if we bring in somebody from the outside." If the decision to interview others has been made, they have already crossed that bridge before inviting guys like me to discuss the job.

That's not to say that all the people or practices need to be replaced, only that the company is not meeting the board's objectives and the board thinks something needs to change. But make no mistake, when the board brings somebody else into the corner office to run the show, they don't do so with the expectation that the new guy will maintain status quo.

If you're a turn-around guy, you must evaluate the likelihood that the business can be fixed. If expectations are too high, or if the industry simply can't generate the returns that are being sought no matter who's at the helm, the smartest move for the would-be CEO is a quick "thanks but no thanks" and head for the door.

Nobody said it was easy. You would feel differently about the management changes if you attended the board meetings and interviews when they are trying to figure out how to fix it.

When the people who supposedly "know all about airlines" or whatever business is under discussion aren't getting the job done, you can safely assume the board has already discussed "how much worse can it get if we bring in somebody from the outside." If the decision to interview others has been made, they have already crossed that bridge before inviting guys like me to discuss the job.

That's not to say that all the people or practices need to be replaced, only that the company is not meeting the board's objectives and the board thinks something needs to change. But make no mistake, when the board brings somebody else into the corner office to run the show, they don't do so with the expectation that the new guy will maintain status quo.

If you're a turn-around guy, you must evaluate the likelihood that the business can be fixed. If expectations are too high, or if the industry simply can't generate the returns that are being sought no matter who's at the helm, the smartest move for the would-be CEO is a quick "thanks but no thanks" and head for the door.

Exactly.

Further, in the M&A world, one must learn to walk away regardless of how intellectually interesting the deal might be. If if doesn't make business sense or the cultures can't meld, then just walk away Renee.

Back